Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Agents of F.L.A.S.K.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
GHT, that is the best theory I have heard in a long time! Very FLASK-worthy.

A few decades ago, some Americans might have welcomed a return to the Royal British fold with open arms, believing that such an event might reestablish calm, dignity, and parliamentary order. Alas, it’s too late now. Chaos* is now too deeply entrenched on both sides of the pond. However, we do still like your music, your funny accents, 007, Harry Potter, and your friendly and generous people, in general.

* by Chaos, we of course mean K.A.O.S., the evil international organization that F.L.A.S.K. Battles daily. There’s more to F.L.A.S.K. Than meets the eye, indeed.

https://getsmart.fandom.com/wiki/KAOS
Tik, you've gone a drink too far, even a Brit can sense this over pond lad. You need to watch Brideshead Revisited
with Blake's 7 with a season of Whosits.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bigfoot resurfaces:
My brother lives about two hours from where the Patterson-Gimlin film was shot. As he says, between him and Bluff Creek “it’s all logging tracts and protected woods.” What’s interesting is that, if you ask any of his friends and neighbors, their official position will be “it’s impossible that a breeding population of large primates could keep themselves hidden all these years“. On the other hand, they are hesitant to rule it out completely because those woods are awfully big and people keep seeing things that they can’t explain. And don’t tell them that they are seeing bears. That’s just insulting! People tend to titter about Bigfoot nervously/jokingly and don‘t like to be pinned down.

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
A common denominator with BigFoot is elemental staged presence. Now in the southern USA there
might be bears but not any gorillas in the Mississippi mists. And secondly, Sasquatch is never fired upon.
And any American republican foreign policy expert conservative National Rifle Association card carrying member bearing arms under the Second Amendment isn't about to let his constitutional right to bag n' tag BigFoot slip through his trigger finger. This is yet another staging-albeit with a good looking gorilla suited actor-of BigFoot playing with
his banana and the cameraman panics and runs. A hunter armed and determined is never Johnson-on-the-spot
to finish the job and be done with it. Coincidence? Hardly.
Gentlemen, I move to conclude this session and close file on all particulars found herein.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, I move to conclude this session and close file on all particulars found herein.
File closed, but remember, it's the internet that has woken up these mythical creatures. That's why Nessie sightings are so predictable. Haven't seen so much of The Yeti of late, nor the odd dragon or two. Mermaids seem to be taking a hiatus so too are unicorns.

The reason that these sightings won't ever go away is because people want to believe. Ask any child how does Santa manage to deliver all those Christmas presents at a speed faster than The Star Ship Enterprise, and the little one will just shrug and smile, say: "I dunno," and still go on believing. He got his presents, so it must be true.

But the reason that the internet has generated renewed interest is because Big Foot, Nessie et al, are guaranteed click bait. Now if you want a really good mythical hero, there's none more so than a fellow who lives no more than an hour's drive from me. It's said that he can do wonders for your virility! He is of course:
The Cerne Abbas Giant.
giant1.jpg

Tiki Tom

Just when you thought you’d heard it all.
Does a grave in North Carolina contain the body of the great Napoleonic general, Marshal Ney (aka, “the bravest of the brave”)???
It‘s a fantastic story and a nice mystery, containing a fun conspiracy linking Ney and Wellington and the Free Masons. Who could ask for more? Especially if you are a Napoleon buff.
The question is: could it possibly be true? I can’t believe I haven’t heard this one before.
Anyone in North Carolina care to comment? Does anyone have additional info?

https://statesville.com/news/local/...cle_cfeda12c-fd4c-11ec-9407-2f3ea194ca32.html

This was one of the more interesting topics of debate here at F.L.A.S.K, with a lot of lively debate, pro and con.

Now it seems that we have an answer. As to whether this will end the debate, that is another discussion.

https://www.wbtv.com/2023/09/09/fre...r-stuart-ney-buried-rowan-co-church-cemetery/

Tiki Tom

Are any FLASKers into meditation?
supposedly it comes with all sorts of benefits.
If I really give it a try, I can sustain meditation for, maybe, two minutes. Then my brain’s endless monkey-chatter takes over again.
Here is an interesting and weird scientific claim that, under controlled conditions, certain individuals can go into deep meditation and maintain it for a week at a time! Crazy!

https://www.iflscience.com/some-med...heir-consciousness-for-up-to-seven-days-70755

All kinds of questions arise. Does this mean they don’t eat or drink water for a week? The water part, if correct, sounds dangerous.

Being interested in the nature of consciousness, the idea of meditation sounds like it’s possibly useful. But extreme examples, such as Himalayan Yogis‘ powers and the example given above, certainly seem to cross the line into F.L.A.S.K. territory. The strange and not-fully-understood powers of the brain are open for discussion!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Are any FLASKers into meditation?
supposedly it comes with all sorts of benefits.
If I really give it a try, I can sustain meditation for, maybe, two minutes.

Being interested in the nature of consciousness, the idea of meditation sounds like it’s possibly useful. But extreme examples, such as Himalayan Yogis‘ powers and the example given above, certainly seem to cross the line into F.L.A.S.K. territory. The strange and not-fully-understood powers of the brain are open for discussion!
When I was at Cambridge, I read both The Cloud of Unknowing and Book of Privy Counsel by a 14th Century
anonymous English mystic whom advocated the loss of self with meditation on God. A far more difficult
approach to this method of meditative prayer than at first glance.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I was at Cambridge, I read both The Cloud of Unknowing and Book of Privy Counsel by a 14th Century
anonymous English mystic whom advocated the loss of self with meditation on God. A far more difficult
approach to this method of meditative prayer than at first glance.
The Book of Jack Daniels will often provoke meditation within me. Or at least it gets my eyes closed.

Tiki Tom

Whoa!
Here is a mystery and an adventure and a treasure that I think (I hope) is close to being cracked.
I should also mention that there is a $1 million reward for the person who deciphers the ancient riddle.
Interested yet?

Background: The Herculaneum Papyri are a treasure trove of 1,800 scrolls found in the 1700s in a private library in the ruins of Pompeii. Problem: they are so scorched that they cannot be unrolled and read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herculaneum_papyri

However, problem 1 has been solved. Using computers and X-ray technology, they have succeeded in virtually unrolling the darned things (and you can access the results!). But they are still unreadable due to heat damage.

Scientist now believe it will be possible to decipher the scrolls if a sufficiently complex AI program is developed for the task.

Why it matters: if this succeeds, the results will more than double the number of complete ancient texts in our possession. Rumored works by the great philosophers and historians of old might emerge. unknown early Christian documents might surface. Classic plays and literature might be found. In short, it could greatly increase our knowledge of the ancient world.

Very exciting. What a treasure trove! Priceless.

Now a group of classicists and computer geeks has launched an effort to finally break into this lost tomb of ancient knowledge.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...f-these-roman-scrolls-from-pompeii-180981867/

Stay tuned. Somewhere out there, there is an otherwise un-datable nerd who is on the verge of rewriting history.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Or, they could just be ancient comic books and cat memes. :p

But yes, it will be very interesting to see what they can salvage from them. A fascinating breakthrough indeed!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Herculaneum_papyri.jpg

They look like lumps of coal, and when the Swiss military engineer and his team who first explored the buried town of Herculaneum in the 18th century encountered them, that was how they were treated: as ancient rubbish, to be dumped in the sea.

Before being hit by a cascade of molten volcanic rock at more than 400C these now-blackened and nondescript objects were part of the library of the grandest villa in the town, where the father-in-law of Julius Caesar was regaled with the epigrammatic gems of his in-house Epicurean philosopher, Philodemus.

They were the papyri on which the ancient world preserved its literature, as the tunnelling archaeologists of 250 years ago belatedly understood. Some 1,800 have so far been recovered, and although both papyrus and ink were carbonised, modern thermal imaging techniques have made it possible to decipher them, with the help of a considerable amount of computing muscle. About half have yielded their secrets. None are likely to be on the best seller lists.
“nunc est bibendum.”

GHT

I'll Lock Up
US Retail Gas Price is at a current level of $4.00, up from $3.94 last week and up from $3.80 one year ago, an increase of 1.52% from last week and 5.15% from one year ago. The US Retail Gas Price is the average price that retail consumers pay per gallon, for all grades and formulations.

The strategy of continual price increasing is a hidden agenda. Blame it on conflict, blame it on The Middle East, blame it on Putin. Fact is that global warming is becoming more than just a concern. Or so the "policy" goes.

“There’s a vision of the future that is now beginning to happen, a future of the automobile industry that is electric, battery electric, plug-in hybrid electric, fuel cell electric,” said The President, announcing the electric strategy plan from the South Lawn of the White House where, for the benefit of The Press, were an array of parked electric vehicles.

Let me tell you, all of our American friends, you might soon be paying $6:00 a gallon if you follow the pain in the wallet way of British policy. Accounting for the US gallon being 20% smaller than the UK's imperial gallon, a US gallon at British pump prices would equate to $6:47.

That is what we are paying, only there is a clever way to make that look far less. At the pump we pay £!:60, but that's because going metric means selling fuel by the litre and there are four and a half litres in an imperial gallon, so take note Americans, when you are being told that metric is the future, all is not what it seems.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
US Retail Gas Price is at a current level of $4.00, up from $3.94 last week and up from $3.80 one year ago, an increase of 1.52% from last week and 5.15% from one year ago. The US Retail Gas Price is the average price that retail consumers pay per gallon, for all grades and formulations.

The strategy of continual price increasing is a hidden agenda. Blame it on conflict, blame it on The Middle East, blame it on Putin. Fact is that global warming is becoming more than just a concern. Or so the "policy" goes.
This agenda accords sound pragmatism with cold factual analysis; and, as this is my professional balliwick,
so secular temporality reigns upon economic throne. China minerals necessary electric vehicular chip include
will subject export ban and Western denial. Consequently electric car manufacture is spiked cannon.
Petroleum oil is economic bedrock. Global economic bedrock. Saudi curtail favours China discount all Russian
oil and latter's lack of above ground oil storage and Russia cannot cease oil flow since permafrost pipe will liquify water condesation explosion. India takes Russian heavy crude oil as arms broker/recipient.

The United States possesses the largest natural petroleum reserve on earth with aggregate $billions untapped
wealth inexplicably denied avail presently. The American economy is therefore impaired, which slows the rest
of the planet considerably; while its Federal Reserve raises interest across American debt and exports inflation.

Last edited:

Benny Holiday

Ain't that the truth, brother. The "policy" is to blame everyone and everything but the agenda behind it all and the SOBs responsible. And still nobody does anything about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred