Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art Deco Movement

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Hello Fellow FLers,

Very hopeful that some of you will be able to help me with my quandry. I know we have some passionate collectors here and keeping my fingers crossed that we have a few Deco experts.
I am looking for information on the Art Deco movement as a whole. I have recently purchased 2 books on the subject which supplied gorgeous images,but I didn't feel that it delved deeply from a personal perspective. What I am looking for is how the movement inspired different aspects of design. Such as: architecture, decor, art, fashion, makeup, and hairstyles. Did any of these inspire each other? Also, how did it effect our lifestyle choices? Is there any relation to the style of music from that period and how would it be relateable to the movement?
If we have any afficinados feel free to delve as deeply and passionately as you wish.
I can't express how appreciative I am and how much I am looking forward to being educated on a very intriguing subject!

High Regards,
Brittany

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Bevis Hillier

"Bevis Hillier is credited with resurrecting the interest in Art Deco, In 1969 his book Art Deco of the 20s and 30s was published by Studio Vista. This was the first major work on a hitherto neglected period of art, which had been previously been referred to by various names. His use of the term Art Deco became definitive. A year later, In 1971 he curated a major Art Deco show at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.

art-deco-style.jpg

0906969654.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Things deco have a wonderful collection of books including the fabulous, "Popular Art Deco"

http://www.thingsdeco.com/

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Talk to Diane, aka ClubWitsEnd.
BTW, if you want to see one of the greatest Art Deco architectural complexes ever built, go see Randolph Field in your own great state of Texas.

dhermann1 said:
if you want to see one of the greatest Art Deco architectural complexes ever built, go see Randolph Field in your own great state of Texas.

A distinguishing feature of many of the Air Force bases that were built before the war was the Art Deco water tower. Not only does Randolph Field have one but I believe Hickam AFB in Hawaii also has an identical one.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also in Texas...

there is the Friends of Fair Park which is about the closest thing to an established Art Deco Society there.
There are ADS's all over the world! Check out ours, and there will be a lot of educational material there for you, as well as a list of all the other societies.
www.artdecosociety.org
I have been active in the Art Deco Society of California (2nd oldest) since 1985, and I can tell you, you are completely right that the different disciplines informed and influenced each other. And because of mass production, for the first time an aesthetic style was so broadly disseminated in an entire population, worldwide. Art Deco is modern and quaint and timeless!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Perfect, exactly the kind of info I am looking for. That will be very helpful!

Dhermann1-I will have to take a trip to see Randolph Field in person as I have a feeling it the pics don't do it justice.

Miss1929-Thank you for reminding me of California's Deco website, a wealth of knowledge to be sure.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
art_deco_house_large.jpg

Just checked out a book The Art Deco House: Avant-Garde Houses of the 1920s and 1930s by Adrian Tinniswood. Besides the great photos detailing Deco homes from around the world and architect bios, the book covers the "important contribution that art deco made to architecture's modern movement." It's been an illuminating read so far.

...And after having seen some of the homes in this book, it's easy to see the inferior knockoffs of 1980s crapola that exists today.

EDIT: Found it on Google Books, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace