Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Manliness

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wait a second, this must be some kind of trick! Every one knows, us real men never read instructions. :D

The Art of Manliness!..."Dress and Grooming", "Health and Sports", "Manly Skills"...

How to sew a button:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/06/28/sewing-on-a-button/

Manly Skills: Throwing a dynamite punch

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/01/24/how-to-throw-a-dynamite-straight-punch/ Interesting article however defending against the punch would seem more prudent, not sure if defending against the punch would be considered manly..LOL
also consider that John Sullivans motto was " I can Lick any man in the world" not very manly in my opinion... Now Gentleman Jim Corbet the fella that beat John L was not only a great boxer but a great dancer... See the movie" Gentleman Jim Corbet"
I think dancing is manly even tho I fight better then I dance... LOL
CCJ

How To Take Care Of a Hat:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/12/04/how-to-take-care-of-a-hat/

It looks like an interesting site, however I am to old to be manly, I will have my Grandson check it out for some additional pointers from younger manly gentleman.. LOL

Regards

CCJ

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It looks like an interesting site, however I am to old to be manly, I will have my Grandson check it out for some additional pointers from younger manly gentleman.. LOL

Regards

CCJ
Noooo, you're never too old to be manly! I have a Grandson too and we both like going through the site! It's the manly thing to do! It's like watching the Red Green Show! ;)

Last edited:

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
I read AoM a lot, actually! Their clothing and grooming stuff is pretty good; a lot of their "manly skills" are pretty fun, and a lot of their character-building advice is good stuff. The only issue I really have with the site, but I have it a lot, is when they seem to ignore the idea that character-building is also for women.

But it was from AoM I learned to trim my mustache and tie a bowtie, and it was from them I learned about about Saddleback Leather, so I think in all they are a net force for good.

Nobert

Practically Family
I may have to delve into this website more. I have always cordially loathed the notion of "manliness." To me, growing up, the "manly" aspect was represented by Darren Wilbur, the captain of the football team, and his psychotic, thugish second-in-command, Sean Haines, who used to sit around me in seventh-grade study hall, wait until the teacher wasn't paying attention, and then sock me in the arm as hard as they could. Haines once belted me in the stomach so hard it knocked the wind out of me. Because I was, in Wilbur's words, "so nice."

This site obviously has a different take on what my own experiences have led me to view with a crusted-over, jaundiced view, bordering on disgust. I'm not sure whether showing one how to throw a punch without a conversation about knowing how to walk away from a fight is something I'll get in line with, but it's worth a look.

3fingers

One Too Many
This site obviously has a different take on what my own experiences have led me to view with a crusted-over, jaundiced view, bordering on disgust. I'm not sure whether showing one how to throw a punch without a conversation about knowing how to walk away from a fight is something I'll get in line with, but it's worth a look.
I look at the site from time to time. I look at it as a tool, for young men especially, to learn things that they would likely never hear about any place else. I don't see a link between AoM and the asshattery that you experienced. Such behavior, while not uncommon, is not in any way manly. Though I doubt that punks such as you dealt with would be likely to read such a site. Is a website the same as having somebody in your life instill good character and decency and teach you to knot a tie? Not at all. But it's a lot better than nothing. As far as how to throw a punch goes, would it not have been nice to have that card in your sleeve a time or two when you were getting beat on? Bullies don't generally continue to pick on those people who have the ability to break their nose for them.

Indyoriginal

New in Town
I'm on AoM all the time, and can't say enough to support them. I rarely, rarely read anything I don't agree with, at least on some fundamental level, and I would say I read with a very critical eye. I would suspect a lot of the people who've left comments less than supportive about a lot of the content haven't really read all that much of it. AoM is pretty much the cleanest way I can think of to splice together the best elements of the fedora-wearing past and the more evolved take on "manliness" that everyone pines for today.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
Noooo, you're never too old to be manly! I have a Grandson too and we both like going through the site! It's the manly thing to do! It's like watching the Red Green Show! ;)

i agree, and remember men, we're all in the same boat and the women are on the shore laughing at us

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
I'm on AoM all the time, and can't say enough to support them. I rarely, rarely read anything I don't agree with, at least on some fundamental level, and I would say I read with a very critical eye. I would suspect a lot of the people who've left comments less than supportive about a lot of the content haven't really read all that much of it. AoM is pretty much the cleanest way I can think of to splice together the best elements of the fedora-wearing past and the more evolved take on "manliness" that everyone pines for today.

Me too. I have it sent to my email everyday, and it's one of the things I look forward to reading everyday. Fighting skills presented on the site are always presented under the context of "when you have no choice but to fight back". Brett is a really decent sort of guy and tries hard to make a conscientious website.

DesertDan

One Too Many
AoM has been one of my daily reads for years.

Though it is geared for younger men and boys it is a helpful and wholesome resource.
Many of these issues, which just seem common knowledge/sense to me because it was how I (and many others of my generation) was raised, are just not being taught today. We are now several generations deep in which men grew up in families where a father was not present or did not have these skills/customs/morals instilled in them to pass down.
There are other "manliness" websites out there, most of which are pathetic. If AoM errs a bit on nostalgia and idealized viewpoint or presentation I believe they can be forgiven.

We used to have dads to teach us to be manly..now it's all computer content! ;)

What my dad's example taught me was how not to be.

Charming guy, in a lot of ways -- fun-loving, hard-drinking, hard-working, a real good-time kinda guy. Lotsa people took to him straight off, liked him just fine, until they made the mistake of relying on him when the chips were down.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Not sure if this was mentioned but AoM also produces podcasts..

I work around quite a few 20'ish administrative residents and have taken on the chore of exposing them to some male rites of passage, like personally introducing them to Gus Miller at Batsake's in Cincinnati to try on fedoras, a field trip to Lowes/Home Depot to pick out real tools, a single malt scotch tasting, how to sweat solder copper pipe, and AoM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy