Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ashley Book of Knots

Feraud

Bartender
After searching high and low and refusing to pay too much money for a copy I finally scored one! To the uninitiated The Ashley Book of Knots is considered "THE" book on all things knot related. Think of it as roughly the Apparel Arts of knotting.

I think there have been two reprints since the original 1944 printing. My version happens to be the '44 one. I was thrilled to see this encyclopedia has literally thousands of knots, braids, bends, splices, etc. harkening back to a time when cordage was used in many professions. Clifford Warren Ashley spent a decade collecting the information contained in this book. At around 600 pages I can feel the enthusiasm Ashley had for the subject.

I always have a length of cord tucked in my pocket and I run through different knots when I have down time. I'll never master all there is in Ashley's book but will have a great time trying.
Are there any other ropework aficionados at the Lounge?
If there is any interest I'll gladly take photos and share the wealth.

InLikeFlynn

Familiar Face
It's great to see this classic book mentioned here. As a kid I always admired my Dad's old beat up knot book which was The Ashley Book of Knots and he gave it to me awhile ago. I remember using it when I was about 12 or so and tying some kind of sailing ship pulley contraption which took up half of the kitchen.
I learned the Monkey's Fist, Turks Head, how to properly lash up a suitcase, and my favorite, the Mathew Walker Knot which I have tied many times and told the story of this knot even more.
It is without a doubt the best knot book ever, with a close second being Horses, Hitches, and Rocky Trails by Joe Back.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot