Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The beaver borsalino

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've been in Seattle a few days and had to go to Bernie Utz hat shop. He probably has the largest selection of new fedora's in the northwest. I had heard he had the borsalino beaver and wanted to see it. I can tell you that for $400.00 the Borsalino beaver is not a worth while purchase. It wasn't a bad hat, at least the liner was sewn in, thats more than they do on their other ones that they charge $225. for. But I was wearing my Optimo london gray and it put the borsalino to shame. It's no wonder that hat company's have a hard time making it if that's all they can do for that much money. I have one of Charlie's 100%beaver hats I got from fedora and it was so much richer and denser that there really wasn't any comparison. Not to mention that with a little patience you can get one on ebay that will really put it to shame and at a fraction of the price.

I also looked at the borsalino panama's that they wanted $600. for. It was a very light weight straw, with a cloth sweatband. Again, thanks to this forum and the info and sources made known here, I knew that one could do a whole lot better at a much lesser price.

regards fedoralover

T

Fedora

Vendor
I saw one of those beaver Borsalinos online today and was wondering how it measured up. Sounds like it doesn't. I am afraid Borsalino went the same route as Stetson. Wonder why that is? The vintage Borsalinos sure are superb hats. I wore my vintage Borsa roll up this weekend and being thin, soft and supple, made it a perfect hat for the warm temps. I think it was even cooler than some of my straws. Plus, you can roll it up and put it in your back pocket with no harm done. It just pops back out into shape. This one came with a thin leather sweat, unlike most of th newer ones that have the cloth bands. Fedora

Zane

Suspended
I was given as a gift a Borsalino rollup model back last Christmas. It was not a bad little hat but was not what I am used to for a good hat. Mine had a cloth sweat band in it and the furfelt is really lose and like you say its not at all hot on your head. I never had a straw hat and suppose I will try to save for one judging by what all have said about them here. I really should get a lesser straw to begin with just for hiking and such but the more I look the more I like them fancy ones of PanamaBob's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic