Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Travel Bag I've Found

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello Everyone,

I was looking for a nice and useful bag to carry with me in Italy this November. The MK VII is too small and my backpack is too large and doesn't look right with a suit or tweed jacket and fedora.

I needed something to hold a spare jacket (I folded my Victoria Falls into it), my camera, a guidebook, a water bottle, and that sort of thing. I also wanted it to be accessible, simple, and have a certain amount of romance.

Remembering Michael Palin's "Hemingway Adventure" and his bag:

I decided to seek out the same one, though a latter incarnation. This is the Tarras Bag from Barbour.

It is the perfect size. The material is heavy lined canvas and the leather is very nice. The strap is "X" stitched right into the bag, so it doesn't twist. There are brass posts that the leather pulls over, making getting in and out of it easy.

There is plenty of room in here.

This is the end of a long long search; I wish I had discovered this bag years ago. I have been searching forever for just the right bag for me and this is it. I would urge you to consider it or one of similar design for your next adventure.

What are your opinions? Have you found something that suits you perfectly? :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lincsong said:
That's a nice bag. Where in Italy are you going?
Thanks.
I am going to Rome, then to Venice, with detours in between.
Then I am flying from Marco Polo Airport to Boston, sleeping a night, and getting up for the flight to The Queen Mary.
It will be quite the two weeks. :eusa_doh: :)

Feraud

Bartender
That is a really sharp looking bag. The size (14x11x4) seems perfect for a day's worth of gear. Is it one pocket or are there two smaller ones in the front? I cannot tell from the picture.
I will consider this bag for my trip out West in November. :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
That is a really sharp looking bag. The size (14x11x4) seems perfect for a day's worth of gear. Is it one pocket or are there two smaller ones in the front? I cannot tell from the picture.
I will consider this bag for my trip out West in November. :)
Inside there are two sections with a flap in between. On the front there are two distinct pockets under two flaps. Here's a couple of pics:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I bought it on my debit card and there was no charge, but then, I work for a bank, so I think they waive all charges for me anyway. The best thing is there was no customs charge.

It came to $110 for the bag and another $25 or so to ship.

Coatsandhats has great customer service and incredible sales. Where else can you get a Barbour wax cotton jacket for $100? Orvis really marks these things up.

Feraud, I'll have it this weekend, so you can see it firsthand.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mine

Pouches at the front under the flap for binoculars, sunglasses, iPod. Inside a single pouch with a zippered compartment for checkbook, pen, Moleskine. At the sides, two longer pouches for a small water bottle or film canisters. The back has another spot for guidebook, map, directions, tickets, papers.
From Bean, made in Maine. Very much like the canvas and leather hunting bags from their 1930's catalogs.
bag1.jpg
bag2.jpg
bag3.jpg
bag4.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Boy, that is very similar and very nice. I love LL Bean. Much of my wardrobe comes from them. They make great bags. There's nothing interesting in their current offerings. Excellent bag, sir.;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Can't go wrong with stuff from Bean! (The bag is resting on my Field Coat).

Hem, I like that yours has individual covers over those front pouches, and that the shoulder strap can't twist. In a few months of throwing it around, it's going to look great!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, I love LL Bean. We drive up there all of the time. The store is great fun and so are the outlets.

My bag is definitely too new looking, but I am sure I will break it in this fall. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner