Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Travel Bag I've Found

Speedster

Practically Family
That is a very nice bag you have bought. You will not regret it. I have had a camera bag from Billingham (www.billingham.co.uk) for 25 years which is identical in materials and in colour to your Barbour. I will try to get some photos taken of it. In the meantime here is a link to the bag as it looks in the current form: http://www.billingham.co.uk/prodbuy.asp?id=62
They break in and age beautifully. The canvas will fade over time and will end up looking like a time warp from the 30-50'ies.

JMADSENK

New in Town
One can buy Barbour products all over the US, and not have to pay any import charges. Simply check out the Barbour USA section of their website for a list of stockists.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JMADSENK said:
One can buy Barbour products all over the US, and not have to pay any import charges. Simply check out the Barbour USA section of their website for a list of stockists.
There was no import charge on this, Old Sport. And the reason I have always gone with this company for Barbour is that they are usually much less expensive than what an American company charges. For instance, the Classic Bedale jacket, my favorite, is $270 at The Outdoor & Country Store(and it's usually better when the exchange is better) and $328 at Orvis. Also, when they have sales, and I usually wait for the sales, the Barbour stuff is half priced.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Thanks for posting, Scotrace and Hemingway- I've been looking for something similar, so it was very useful to have your suggestions.
Thanks again!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Another bigger satchel option...

Ha... this looks almost exactly like my musette bag from WWII. Dated 1943, mine is about the same size, and it generally goes for about $40 on auction site #1. Sometimes the strap is not included, but those are easy to find.

Just go to eBay and search for "WWII US Army Musette bag" and you'll get a good few hits. This bag has a divider in the center with two pockets that are perfect for iPod, binoculars, Moleskine, checkbook, wallet, etc. etc. It also has a side pocket, a back pocket, and is pretty roomy for use as a day bag. Mine's been from Chicago to Charleston to the Bahamas, and actually saw field use.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Thanks Kodiak. I did get "a few good hits" on the armed forces bag on Ebay. Pretty cool looking. Might be useful for when I start graduate school in a few weeks...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JMADSENK said:
Bedale jackets are currently $225 in several of the US stockists. Cheerio!
Wow, I'd love to see those links too. I thought for sure that we had found the best place to purchase low-priced Barbour, but sometimes they don't have all the sizes or the woman's collection. Are these outlets supplying Barbour's made in England? They do have a manufacturer in Austrailia and these are the ones that tend to be lower priced. We were very surprised when I received an item from them and the label said "made in Austrailia".. Nothing wrong with anything from there, but if I'm gonna buy Barbour I want it to be original, made in the UK. I'd rather pay a little bit more for it just because of that. But, I'd really like to have those links to the sites you found with low priced Bedales, especially if they are supplying original ones (at least to me, if they are made in the UK, they are original).

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Great bag, HJ...

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the color of the strap. (Hey, I know, I'm retentive, what can I do about it?) Checked "Froogle" and found this interesting variant from BestGear.com -- $135.00 (15 x 12 x 4)

item-2614_1_large.jpg

Col. Z

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Here are some more options...

L010234.jpg

Our own collection of sporting bags are hand made in Yorkshire using only the highest quality three-ply canvas and leather. Ideal for clay or game shooting or indeed any carrying needs. A sturdy water resistant collection with solid brass fittings and multifunction pockets.

A. The Somerset
Flap-over bag with netted front, two internal pockets, strap and buckle fastening, shoulder strap. 15" x 14". Colors: loden, sand. L104 $115

B. The Brora
Flap-over bag with two internal pockets, strap and buckle fastening, shoulder strap. Colors: loden, sand. 17" x 10". L102 $115

C. The Test
Flap bag with two internal and two external pockets. Quick release adjustable fasteners, shoulder strap. Colors: loden, sand. 12" x 10". L103 $108

British Sporting Limited

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nice, Speedster. Lots of wear. I like to see gear that's really been used. I have a waxed canvas duffle that has been on many a journey. Unfortunately it's now reached the point where it has stopped looking well-traveled and started looking shabby. Time to find a replacement!

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Billingham makes great bags. I have a green L2 and really like it. It is by far the best made and designed bag I own.

http://www.olbrycht.pl/billingham/billinghamPliki/l2.gif

My only complaint is that it looks expensive and in my opinion can make you a target for thieves, especially when you are on vacation.

I put a lot of effort into putting some wear on my Billingham, but the problem is that they are so well made that it takes time for them to start looking less glamourous. After 5 years of abuse mine is finally starting to look the part.;)

I really like their Hadley Pro.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/3/6/00000107036-BillinghamHadleyPro-large.jpeg

Another bag that I highly recommend is the Domke series.

I have both the 803, J803 and F6 "a little bit smaller". Great bags.Very tough, well made and low key (popular with photojournalists). You can take the internal dividers out or replace them with a set to suit your needs. I carry everything from my laptop to cameras in mine.

http://www.sun-photo.co.kr/mall/image/spec/DOMKE/f-803_003.jpg

F6
http://www.ginichi.com/shop/domke/detail/images/f6_tan_l.jpg

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I use a Musette bag as my everyday “satchel” too. They are very handy, wear like iron and have certain rugged look to them.

Fox Outdoor Products makes a nice one. I bought it at the local Army/Navy store for $10.00.
If you leave it in the car, the sun will fade it until the color becomes very close to WWII wartime khaki.
I bought a musette bag shoulder strap for $8.00 as well.
Here is the link to Fox. http://www.foxoutdoor.com/detail.asp?item=40-95&sctn=Bags+&+Packs&cat=Musette+Bags

Regards,

Forrestal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner