Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Big Sleep

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I just saw "The Big Sleep" for about the tenth time, and noticed something new. In the first sequence, Norris, General Sternwood's butler, says to Marlowe: "Are you attempting to tell me my duties?" Marlow answers, "No, I'm having fun trying to figure out what they are." Apparently, Norris's duties include hat blocking, since when Marlowe (Humphrey Bogart) first enters the house, his hat has a narrow center dent. When he picks it back up -- and for the rest of the movie -- it is blocked in a pronounced teardrop.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
For fun, you should notify the Internet Movie Database about the continuity error. They check it out and if it's valid they'll add it to the 'goofs' part of the film info. I've done it a few times. Now I'm not the type viewer that purposely looks for errors, but my eye will just catch one every once in a while...and it usually has something to do with the actors' clothing. In 'Key Largo,' as an example, watch Edward G. Robinson's necktie change lengths from shot to shot (hey, I should notify them about that one.).

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I do the IMDb thing too, though this one might be a bit esoteric for them. I did, however, submit one about the address of Geiger's bookshop, which is given as "6311 North Sunset." Sunset, of course, runs east and west.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love Dorothy Malone in that movie as the bookstore clerk. Great chemistry with Bogart and the classic "she takes off her glasses and is beautiful" moment.

bigsleep99.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
love the movie! definetely on my top ten list! Bogie's great :D
The mister is really good at picking up on movie mistakes also, with me, unless it's fairly obvious, don't pick up on it at all :eek:

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
I love Dorothy Malone in that movie as the bookstore clerk. Great chemistry with Bogart and the classic "she takes off her glasses and is beautiful" moment.

bigsleep99.jpg

In my humble opinion, Dorothy Malone's brief scene is one of the great highlights of the movie. And this is a movie filled with highlights. Hubba, hubba!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
The Reno Kid said:
In my humble opinion, Dorothy Malone's brief scene is one of the great highlights of the movie. And this is a movie filled with highlights. Hubba, hubba!

The first time I ever considered a chick in a B&W movie desirable enough to obsess over, it was Dorothy Malone in The Big Sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24