Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remake of The Big Sleep

storman113

Familiar Face
Just finished watching The Big Sleep and To Have and Have Not on DVD. Kinda wondering!!

If a remake was made: true to the original movie’s as much as possible. With today as a background or even old style(preferably).

Who could play the leads???

My first thought was Matthew Mc Conahey as Bogie. Not sure of who could do Lauren!

Wonder who you would pic?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
storman113 said:
Just finished watching The Big Sleep and To Have and Have Not on DVD. Kinda wondering!!

If a remake was made: true to the original movie’s as much as possible. With today as a background or even old style(preferably).

My first thought was Matthew Mc Conahey as Bogie. Not sure of who could do Lauren!

a remake? what for?

I would call it "The Big ZZZZZZZ" (like all the other remakes out there)

pleaseeeeeeeee no more remakes! :cry:

Bugsy

One Too Many
storman113 said:

Why tamper with perfection?? Just look at the Streisand Star is Born, and the Brando Mutiny on the Bounty. You'd better look at them because I can't.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Bugsy said:
Why tamper with perfection?? Just look at the Streisand Star is Born, and the Brando Mutiny on the Bounty. You'd better look at them because I can't.

Hmmmmm but the "classic" version of films you are referring to are both remakes! Mutiny on the Bounty was originally made in 1916 (and then again in 1933 with Errol Flynn as Fletcher Christian) & A Star is Born in 1937.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
dr greg said:
I remember the contemporary 70's attempt at it...it wasn't much good, but better than the LONG GOODBYE with Elliot Gould around the same time...that STANK
Yeah, I remember the 70's version. It starred Bob Mitchum as Philip Marlowe. I think there were 2 problems with that version, Bob Mitchum was too old to play Marlowe & Michael Winner was the director......

I think that there are a number of actors out there that could handle the character well but I think that it should not be a common "Pretty boy" actor. Not sure if some of these guys could be considered too old though.
Gary Oldman
Bruce Willis
Sam Elliot
Tom Sellick
William Hurt
Jeff Bridges
Robert Patrick
Powers Boothe

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No matter who you get and who makes the film, they'll be shoddy reflections of works of art. You'll never find a director & producer who'll stick to the original story. You'll never find a screenwriter who will stick to the original story. They never, ever do, and then they wonder why everyone hates their new version when held up next to the original. New plot twists, new characters, new involvements, changes of motivation, etc. The the stars come in with their wacky ideas of how their part would be better if they did this or that different than the script...

There's only been one film I can say was successfully remade - Maltese Falcon. Two different versions that strayed from the original story, and then finally, the Bogart/Huston version that stuck to the original story.

But why waste time coming up with "perfect" alternate casts to movie? They'll never ever happen. Even if you ended up with that cast, they won't play it the way you'd want it to be played.

And in short, why screw around with something that was already done perfectly (or as close to perfect as could be) in the past? Nobody will ever be satisfied with the crappy remake.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I could see Bruce Willis in the part, he can do the kind of weary toughness, as he did in "Unbreakable" and "Sin City".

Not sure about the female lead...Scarlett Johanssen perhaps? Similar age difference at least.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Matthew Mcconaughey
Russel Crowe
Gary Oldman
Bruce Willis
Sam Elliot
Tom Sellick
William Hurt
Jeff Bridges
Robert Patrick
Powers Boothe

Well, now that we have eliminated 10 crap actors for the role lol , how about a real one?

there%20will%20be%20blood.jpg

Daniel Day Lewis

Hes got the right face, and if anyone has seen There Will Be Blood, hes got the attitude to match.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
lolly_loisides said:
Hmmmmm but the "classic" version of films you are referring to are both remakes! Mutiny on the Bounty was originally made in 1916 (and then again in 1933 with Errol Flynn as Fletcher Christian)

Yet, again in 1962, with Marlon Brando as Fletcher Christian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner