Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remake of The Big Sleep

Mike in Seattle said:
No matter who you get and who makes the film, they'll be shoddy reflections of works of art. You'll never find a director & producer who'll stick to the original story. You'll never find a screenwriter who will stick to the original story. They never, ever do, and then they wonder why everyone hates their new version when held up next to the original. New plot twists, new characters, new involvements, changes of motivation, etc. The the stars come in with their wacky ideas of how their part would be better if they did this or that different than the script...

There's only been one film I can say was successfully remade - Maltese Falcon. Two different versions that strayed from the original story, and then finally, the Bogart/Huston version that stuck to the original story.

But why waste time coming up with "perfect" alternate casts to movie? They'll never ever happen. Even if you ended up with that cast, they won't play it the way you'd want it to be played.

And in short, why screw around with something that was already done perfectly (or as close to perfect as could be) in the past? Nobody will ever be satisfied with the crappy remake.

Sounds like somebody got a lump of coal in their stocking!

This is a type of imagination game called "What IF" where you get to engage in speculation about something that probably won't happen but the "fun" is to come up with ideas as to who might be good now at this time.

Think of it this way: imagine the Bogart version had not been done and you were handed a marvelous script, how would you try to construct the film TODAY?

repeatclicks

Practically Family
RBH said:
I could see Billy Bob Thornton before some of the ones on the list.

bbt.jpg

Nah, in my opinion his personality is far too dry. Zero youth left in him, zero attitude. Slingblade, anyone?

Chas

One Too Many
Re-making this film...what would be the point? Hollywood suffers from severe poverty of ideas to be sure, but I doubt that they would unless they were in real financial trouble. They'd have to take time off of making teen vampire movies.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Chas said:
Re-making this film...what would be the point? Hollywood suffers from severe poverty of ideas to be sure, but I doubt that they would unless they were in real financial trouble. They'd have to take time off of making teen vampire movies.

They could always try a vampire version of the Big Sleep lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany