Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

Nic Charles

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
I've always been a non black hat fan. The black hat Just wasn't me... In my mind the hat had that villanous connetation when paired with a suit.

I picked up an original black fedora from the 30s, but gave it to a friend a few years ago. I preferred wearing my gray Stetson fedora, which has a slight blue cast, with my blue pin-stripe suits. Now I wish I had it back, because I think it would look great with my black tuxedo. Live and learn.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I rather like the black Dobb I got a little while back. It happens to look great with my brown tweed J. Peterman jacket. It makes for a fairly European look, something alpine. The hat itself has sort of a bluish hue to it. It definitely dresses up any outfit.

Cheers!

Dan

JerseyJones

Vendor
besdor said:
Although black hats are the number one color that we sell, black is still the biggest selling color in the dress market as well. Stetson and Biltmore tell us that this is the number one color sold in all oftheir markets. I am sure that many retailers would agree as well. This was not the case years ago as gray and brown were more important but times have changes.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

I agree with you Steven, which is exactly why I added the Camptown Metropolitan in Super Black to my line today.

I have gotten many requests for it, so the "Noir" Model has arrived.

Any questions on it, please emailcamptownhats@yahoo.com me or PM me.

Enjoy the mystery of the man in the black hat !

Ken

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sweet!!

Ah the 1945 "Noir" Edition sounds like a fabulous & dressy lid. Black does add an air of Mystery to ones appearance, doesen't it? I can't wait to see the images. I presume the shape will be just like the Metropolitan.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Jerekson

One Too Many
PDVD_003.png

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I think I've stated earlier in this thread that the only black hat I own is a Vintage Homburg Brodt's, purchased from our own DM a while back, but I recently just stumbled across this Stetson that I couldn't let go by for $10. [huh] Stetson

I didn't get it yet, so this is the only picture I have to go by.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I see a lot of the young guys and the rockers, those who wear the stingy brims, wearing black hats.

I have a Stetson OR that has been fashioned to look like a fedora not an LBJ hat. It is the neatest hat.

Matt you look good in that hat, but you do not look like the bad guy, sorry to tell you. Villainous is in the attitude, maybe with just a little more of an ornery look....

karol

carter

I'll Lock Up
Black Hat

The only Black Hat that I own is the Stetson Soverign shown in my avatar. It's one of my favorites and fits very well. It's a Homburg with a 2 1/2" Brim, Crown height of 4", and a center dent. It has a wide black band and a banded rim. It's unlined but still too heavy for all but the coolest weather in Dallas. It seems to me that a shorter crown height works better for me even though I really like the higher classic crowns.
The tag inside reads 80891 so I'm guessing it was made in 1991.
This hat was originally sold by a store whose name begins, 'Byrnie ltz' (?) on Union Street in Seattle.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nic Charles said:
I picked up an original black fedora from the 30s, but gave it to a friend a few years ago. Now I wish I had it back, because I think it would look great with my black tuxedo. Live and learn.
That's when I usually wear my black fedora, with formal wear.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
You know, it occurs to me that, while we often discuss the relative pros and cons of black hats, I can't find any threads that are really a show-case for them. So, in the spirit of other hat-type societies on the lounge, I invite you to join the The Black Hat Brigade!

Share your love of black hats by showing us what you've got. Being a freshly minted black hat lover, I present my current collection;

VS Toreador
3882440409_5b7e435f01.jpg

Selentino Spruce
3883234186_bdeeb24435.jpg

Stetson Windham
3882442835_46424e7c34.jpg

Lagormarsino Homburg
3883237814_b05845f771.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
I like black hats

the only thing you have to watch out for more than other hats is lint and dust! I'll pull my black hat off the rack and about be out the door before I realize my hat is covered in dust! Anyway, black is a good color (or lack thereof) and it matches well with about anything. My fiancee finds it attractive too :D

The Bond Executive:
BondSideAngle.jpg

Coats.jpg

(yes, I'm wearing ALL black with only a silver tie- she loves it lol)
My recently aquired La Salle Homburg:
DSC02381.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Although many people seem to consider black a versatile colour for fedoras, I am not of the same mind, and I certainly do not think that they really go with everything. This said, it is a felt colour worthy of having in the rotation too.

Stetson Whippet:

DSC_0407-2.jpg

DSC_0410-1.jpg

(This one actually belonged to a religious person, as evidenced by the inscription on the sweatband)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred