Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

RedPop4

One Too Many
Well, we certainly would all be bare-headed. I mean look at all the criminals who wore fedoras of one color or another. If we stopped because of who wore one, Abramoff would be bare-headed, too.

I've heard of him and what he's done, but most reasonable people, hat lovers or not, aren't going to approach you and say you look like Jack Abramoff with your black fedora any more than they would approach you bare-headed and say you look like Ken Lay.

I mean, to eschew a perfectly fine hat, and style over this guy is simply hilarious. Get over yourselves.

I've worn ball caps for years, and still do on occasion. Ty Cobb was practically a psychotic, and 8 members of the 1919 Chicago White Sox were banned from baseball for gambling. Hal Chase was a gambler who threw games. Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford and Billy Martin were notorious party animals, Pete Rose was/is an inveterate gambler, many ball players take drugs or took drugs both to enhance performance and recreationally. I guess I should never wear a Tigers, White Sox, Reds, or Yankees' hat eh?

warbird

One Too Many
Good points Red Pop.

After all when Capone went down did everyone eschew Silver Belly Fedoras, a Capone favorite. The whole notion that most people even pay notice to the fact that Abramoff wears black fedoras seems somewhat absurd.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I gave this one to my father-in-law for Christmas. Black, but not a deep black, more charcoal grey...at least I'd like to think so.
yyyyyyyyy.jpg

ppppppp.jpg

oooooo.jpg

uuuuuuuuu.jpg

dean

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
RedPop4 said:
I've heard of him and what he's done, but most reasonable people, hat lovers or not, aren't going to approach you and say you look like Jack Abramoff with your black fedora any more than they would approach you bare-headed and say you look like Ken Lay.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe it's just because I'm in Washington DC, where the Abramoff scandal was particuarly big news, but I've heard more than one person comment that someone wearing a black hat reminded them of Abramoff. I was in BCF and tried one on, and the person I was shopping with told me I looked like him.

My assertion that the black hat is closely associated with Abramoff in folks' minds right now wasn't just speculation.

Rick Blaine

Speaking strictly for myself, I have fewer black lids ‘cause I find the look on me to be just too rabbinical. People keep approaching me to circumcise their baby & interpret scripture & such. ;)

mingoslim

Practically Family
I can't speak for anyone else, but . . .

Black fedoras just look too . . . black . . .
With my fair coloring, black seems to stark with anything but a dark suit, and face it, I just do not have that much of occassion to wear dark suits . . . I think a lot of people will agree . . .

Hondo

One Too Many
Carlos Santana’s hat looks and is cool, I believe black mink temple, other wise it’s the “Nazi Gestapo” look, I prefer grey or brown, for those who wear suits it depends. U-B-U ;)

warbird

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
I respectfully disagree. Maybe it's just because I'm in Washington DC, where the Abramoff scandal was particuarly big news, but I've heard more than one person comment that someone wearing a black hat reminded them of Abramoff. I was in BCF and tried one on, and the person I was shopping with told me I looked like him.

My assertion that the black hat is closely associated with Abramoff in folks' minds right now wasn't just speculation.

One can never overstate the inanity that is the fishbowl called the district.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Oo. That might be it. Especially if it looks darker without the flash.

There's this dead zone between dark-medium ("anthracite"?) grey and jet black where the ready to wear hat market dares not trespass.

Where'd yours come from?

BTW, in your pix above you look like Dr. Toht's emigré nephew, Joachim "Jim" Toht, a prewar Swing Kid and one of the first dozen volunteers for the OSS.

Tony in Tarzana

I have three, one is a new-ish Stetson Chatham that I rarely wear, one is my Jake Blues Dobbs stingy,

and one is another Dobbs with a 2-1/4" brim.
I also have black Homburgs

and bowlers and toppers. I like 'em, but I don't wear 'em on Friday evenings to avoid confusion. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner