Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Props also to Wolf K?§hler, at the left there, perhaps the most typecast character actor of all time. You never see him playing anything but a Perfect Nazi. (I think in one movie he was a decent Wehrmacht officer but the mistake wasn't repeated.)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Black Hat Associated with bad Guys?

Maybe all those old hats were from the last of the really tough guys. During these times nobody (well, besides myself) wants to be seen as a bad guy:rolleyes:

Hondo

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Props also to Wolf K?§hler, at the left there, perhaps the most typecast character actor of all time. You never see him playing anything but a Perfect Nazi. (I think in one movie he was a decent Wehrmacht officer but the mistake wasn't repeated.)

I beg to differ some what, sure he plays Germans, you'll be surprise to know he was in "Bridget Jones End of Reason" as well as "Backbeat" (early Beatles story), and a few others. He’s a good character actor. You never know where he’ll drop in/ Photo below I think is from “Band of Brothers”
Note: Not all bad guys wear black hats, think Richard Boone as Paladin ;)

wolf-kahler-m.jpg

D

DBFedora

I Like Black

I have three fedoras, two of which are black, the other is gray. I regularly wear the two black ones, and pull out my gray one once in a while. The black is certainly a dressier choice, to be sure, and it does go with almost everything I wear. I have recently started to opt for a dressier look for work as well, since I am now able to fit into some dress clothes that had not fit for quite some time. I needed to bring a sense of style back to the office, if for no one else but me. (And Marc C is right - a black fedora does look good on those of us with salt and pepper hair.)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I just can't get a black fedora to work. I suppose part of it is that I don't have the clothes to go with one. Black fedoras seem to wear me instead of me wearing them. However, I have a black homburg that I'll wear with my evening attire, which works well.

I had a very nice '20s black plush fedora that I had Art restore. It was a family heirloom that my uncle had let me take care of...I just couldn't get it to look right, so I gave it back to my uncle in far better condition than I got it. He was amazed. I'm sure he's getting more use from it than I ever did.

A black fedora with a midnight blue ribbon might work. With my thin build, I look way off balance with all that dark mass up high...it needs to be broken up a bit.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Black is OK; few things are better on a gray, icy morning than a black brim atop the greatcoat. But I truly prefer the lighter hues, the camels and grays. And a straw fedora is even better.
But on nasty mornings, I reach for the black.

RBH

Bartender
Black is OK, if I could ever run across a black O R.... well me and alot of others would be on it so fast.
I do think the vintage black fedoras have more style [are better looking]than the newer ones, dont know why but they seem just seem to.

SamReu said:
... And a straw fedora is even better...
You are so right Sam, here in the south you cant beat a good straw fedora!

Hey RBH,

I stated the same sentiments, regarding finding the ellusive black OR, last year in another thread here in the Lounge. Rick Blaine pointed me towards one at a vintage website, which I ended up purchasing. They're out there, but few and far between. Love mine. Will be wearing it with my black camel overcoat over a tux this weekend.

JCBurns

Familiar Face
You know Marc, I just found another OR in great shape for a reasonable price locally here. In my size, no less. Are you sure it wouldn't be a sacrilege to dye a vintage OR? I like the idea of a black Open Road. I just might give this a try...that is if the other FL'ers don't group together to lynch me first.

JCBurns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred