The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Dakota Ellison, Jan 25, 2004.

1. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned A-List Customer

Your thoughts are spot on and Stefan, @steur, is spearheading an effort to find a connection and break the code. (He has shared the data with me and I have been playing with it as well.). Here's a post from a couple months ago (first of multiple posts) summarizing his findings to date. He's created a master spreadsheet of his collection which documents the information from the tags, along with other information such as quality designation, crown height, weight, brim treatments, intended market, etc.

Any contribution(s) you have would greatly be appreciated. As vast as his collection is, it is but a drop in the bucket of Borsalino. We're hoping to get more members to contribute to this database so as to hopefully find potential leads.

steur, Steinbockhase and Steve1857 like this.
  2. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

Thanks the the c explanation. I will update my notes.

Steve1857 and Daniele Tanto like this.
  3. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto Call Me a Cab

Georg, the name in the lower right corner of the paper label is not always the name of the type of hat. It depends, as you have seen from the examples that Bill posted if the three components of the hat are present: A) color of the felt, B) Color of the ribbon, C) Type of hat. These indications went with the passing of the years to disperse to arrive with only the color of the felt towards the eighties, then there were only numbers. There is no doubt that the numbers correspond to the colors, at least to those that the Borsalino has kept alive. Very few compared to the past, it is also very difficult to "translate" paper labels after the Borsalino family sold the property in the mid-eighties and production went to the outskirts of Alessandria. We can speculate about numbers, the only certainty is that when there are only numbers and numerical codes, the Borsalino is modern. But even among the modern there are excellent hats, just knowing how to choose :rolleyes:

M Hatman, AbbaDatDeHat, steur and 2 others like this.
  4. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

This Borsalino arrived today from California via Brent.

It's a very modern Borsa, and not of the quality of the Borsalinos of yore. However, the colour, style, and stitching on the crown appealed to me as soon as I saw it. It's not high quality, but it is unusual and perfect for Jazz concerts. I just had to have it in my collection.

The brim works both up or down in my humble opinion.

Thanks Brent.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Rmccamey, jlee562, M Hatman and 7 others like this.
  5. Steinbockhase

Steinbockhase A-List Customer

Borsalino Gran-Lusso Superiore, fairly light weight with soft and maluable felt and bonded edge.
    Turned this one into a telescope crown / Pork Pie.
    In color "Argento" with "Urania" ribbon; no model name, just a form/model number "K2862" (following the tag description as discussed before).
    I estimate late 50's to early 60's.
    I have another Borsalino with the identical form/model number, with is actually very similiar to this one, except for different colors and the crown style I applied.

Georg-2019-04-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-109-WEB-XL.jpg Georg-2019-04-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-133-WEB-XL.jpg Georg-2019-04-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-117-WEB-XL.jpg Georg-2019-04-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-102-WEB-XL.jpg Hat-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-113-WEB-XL.jpg Hat-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-111-WEB-XL.jpg Hat-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-117-WEB-XL.jpg Hat-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-107-WEB-XL.jpg Hat-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-105-WEB-XL.jpg Hat-Borsalino-Gran-Lusso-Superiore-K2862-Argento-Urania-108-WEB-XL.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    NewJack, quikrick, Rmccamey and 8 others like this.
  6. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Been wondering about that model. Good to read a hands-on review. It is a very good looking hat.

srq2002 likes this.
  7. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Unusual hat. A spiral stitch with contrasting stich? I like it with the brim up, Steve.

M Hatman and Steve1857 like this.
  8. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Very nice, Georg. Argento is a fantastic colour. If the label doesn't have a model name lower right it's of a later date. As far as the data show, the cerrated label with the straight sides occurs between 1961 and 1965.

9. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

It is unusual. That's why I was drawn to it when Brent first posted. It's a fun hat. Everyone needs one of those

M Hatman and steur like this.
  10. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

That is very cool, Georg. Looks great as a Pork Pie.

Steinbockhase likes this.
  11. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned A-List Customer

Nice to come back from vacation knowing there's a hat waiting for you. Nero Borsalino lobbia/homburg:
    IMG_20190627_112921594.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1308.JPG
    Specs:
    5.5cm Brim
    13.5cm Crown (Open)
    3.8cm Ribbon
    126g Weight​

Also known as the Lazarus hat after a packing debacle. Before and after shots showing as received versus after a steam, brush, and reshape. All black, all business, so only a center dent for this one:
    IMG_1311.JPG

12. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

Great Borsalino both inside and out. Nice resurrection job. A centre dent and no pinches was the right choice for that one imo.

M Hatman and TheOldFashioned like this.
  13. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

This is basically how I find most of my hats in the bins at the vintage stores. I'm never worried and this is the perfect example why. A brushing and a good steaming and they are as good as new. Never ceases to amaze me. Wonderful lobbia, Jonathan and well done getting it back to glory. Other designations than superiore are not all that common for lobbias.

14. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

I picked this one up today. I agreed to meet the lady selling it at a train station way out in the sticks. I managed to give her the money, look at the hat, and get back on the same train within a minute. I'd have had to wait an hour for the next one otherwise. Quickest deal I've ever done .

Anyway, a very stingy brim on this one. One of the many things I like about it though, apart from the feel of the felt, it's texture, and that great looking orangie-red liner, is the fact that it was originally sold at Petitgas in Copenhagen. The oldest hat store in Denmark, founded in the same year as Borsalino.

If memory serves me rightly, according to Stefan's excellent work on Borsalino labels, this one suggests the hat is from somewhere between 1961-1965. Please correct me if my memory fails me here, Stefan.

Sadly, it's a bit small, which surprises me as the punti size 5 1/2 is usually a pefect Borsalino fit for me.

I'm hoping a turn on my hat jack will help.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Again, nice find, Steve. Misto Tiglio is added to the list of misto felts. Odd name though: if google translate is to be believed "tiglio" translates to "lime", which would suggest either green or grey.

M Hatman and Steve1857 like this.
  16. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

Not far wrong. It's brown with tinges of green and grey. Wish I had Alan's camera to get the colour hues right. Has to be seen to be understood. Not sure I did before your reply. Interesting. Thanks, my friend.

steur likes this.
  17. Steve1857

Steve1857 One Too Many

Just a couple of hours on the hat jack and it fits much better. There was more than a two finger width between the brim and my ears. Now there's just about a one finger width as there should be. Wish I'd remembered to take before photos.

It's elongated the shape much better, too. No worries now about brim up or down. I think this is how this one looked back in the day.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

Circa late 1920's / Early 1930's Echter Borsalino

The dimensions on this hat are deceiving - the ribbon is 2 1/4"

IMG-1316.jpeg IMG-1317.jpeg IMG-1318.jpeg IMG-1319.jpeg IMG-1320.jpeg IMG-1321.jpeg

19. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Garrett likes this.
  20. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, there is no date stamp present behind the sweatband. I thought this was customary on these particular hats?

steur and mayserwegener like this.