Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The bowler and casual dress, yes?

Crane's

Familiar Face
How's everyone tonight? It's been a while since I've been around but anyway this is what I wore today to go to the store. This is my version of work casual. I posted it on another forum and figured why not here too. I know AlanC wants to see pics of my hats so here's one for ya AC.

Anyway it's been said that a bowler is a formal hat, one to be worn when dressed to the gills. I disagree and think along the lines that it is a hat that's good for just about anything from formal to casual and everywhere in between. After all the hat was made for hunting and in the US it was known in it's day as the every man's hat and just about every man wore one.

Thoughts?

4825bfa5.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know how, but you seem to make it work.
Now, what the heck are you standing on?

Crane's

Familiar Face
Lefty said:

It's what's left of an old hydro racer. Put a 30 horse motor on it and it goes about 80 miles an hour. The rocket is in the old shed, it gets a 50 horse motor and goes 110 plus. I DON'T drive these psychotic things, I have my own forms of insanity when I need a good adrenaline rush. I would rather hang on the side of a cliff with no ropes, it's safer. Anyway the store sponsors a race team and the boats get stored here sometimes.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Crane's said:
I have my own forms of insanity when I need a good adrenaline rush. I would rather hang on the side of a cliff with no ropes, it's safer.

I'm willing to give you your bowler-casual pass, but I'm not sure that you can wear it free-climbing.
;)

Crane's

Familiar Face
Lefty said:
I'm willing to give you your bowler-casual pass, but I'm not sure that you can wear it free-climbing.
;)

They do make 'em with chin straps! LOL. It's best to wear a climbing helmet or maybe an original Lock Coke would work. Hmmmmm.

Crane's

Familiar Face
kabuto said:
Interesting. It works. For casual I think it would work better in a color other than black, but I'm not sure what color would be best.

That's something I've thought about and about the only thing I can think of that might work better is a brown.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Crane,

We were discussing a few days ago bowler possibilities here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33790

I am under the impression that a bowler may work better in colours other than black, black being possibly too stereotyped; I think black would still work with dark plain or pinstripe suits, but maybe brown, grey or green would be more versatile.

Of course this is just my opinion.

I like your brown bowler. Is it vintage or new? I have seen brown new bowler hats, but they are dark brown - yours looks like a medium shade.

Regards,

Daniel

Drew B

One of the Regulars
I think the brown one is a photoshop edit job
top job too kabuto

and i like the brown better also, so there's my two cents.

Either way, mr. crane, its a good look, you pull it off well.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Drew B said:
I think the brown one is a photoshop edit job
top job too kabuto

and i like the brown better also, so there's my two cents.

Either way, mr. crane, its a good look, you pull it off well.

Hi Drew,

You are right! Kabuto fooled me... :eek:

Anyway, the question stands... anyone know of sources for bowlers in mid tones of brown? Even better if they have a slightly wider brim?

Regards,

Daniel

troy

One of the Regulars
Hi Crane,

I've been toying with the idea of the bowler as casual dress for a while now, but so far I don't have a bowler. I've read all the bowler posts, talking about the bowler of old being a type of everyman's hat, at when I think back on old photos it all makes sense.

You have proved out the theory well here. That hat looks great. Downside is, now I guess I need to save my pennies for a bowler or two!!

:eusa_clap

Crane's

Familiar Face
Torpedo said:
Hi Drew,

Anyway, the question stands... anyone know of sources for bowlers in mid tones of brown? Even better if they have a slightly wider brim?

Regards,

Daniel

Beaver hats has 8 shades of brown. Fenway Brown, Camel or Kangaroo looks like the color candidates for another bowler. I guess I need to go to St. Louis and visit them since I don't trust color charts.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Up in Canada mostly ball cap wearers

Where I live in Winnipeg, Canada (6 hours drive north of Minneapolis) all I see are people wearing ball caps and Tillys. Good for you on setting your own style. The bowler casual and your pose reminds me of men in photos from 100 + years ago. It is a hat that will draw attention but it does work well for you in casual dress. :eusa_clap

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Torpedo said:
Hi Drew,

Regards,

Daniel
Forgive me for posting the same picture in two thread, but here is my new brown bowler. It is by Bailey of Hollywood, and while it is not the highest quality hat per se, it is comfortable and affordable. Not medium brown though, more of a chocolate.

DSC04019CROP.jpg

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Lefty said:

My opinion also. The bowler is extremely dated, so only a handful of folks could pull that off and not get the wrong kind of looks. But it looks like you've done it.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Crane's said:
Beaver hats has 8 shades of brown. Fenway Brown, Camel or Kangaroo looks like the color candidates for another bowler. I guess I need to go to St. Louis and visit them since I don't trust color charts.

So yours is a Beaver Brand bowler. What finish? Legacy? Heritage? I have taken a look and they make several qualities. Could you make a more complete "report"?

I see they have a lot of colours indeed!

With you and Slim we can see the two options bowlers offer ... casual and dressy!

Regards,

Daniel

Crane's

Familiar Face
It's a heritage finish style 1598 stingy brim bowler 10X (10% beaver). This hat in 100% beaver would run me $449.00 direct from Beaver. I picked this hat up for $140.00 and it was ordered from Beaver by one of my favorite boot stores for me.

/\ Nice look SP, there's a touch of the old West in your suit and the bowler really looks good on you.

sfend002

Familiar Face
You guys are looking sharp! This may inspire me to try a bowler. I really like that brown.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The bowler was the great hat of the Old West, and it originated as a gameskeeper's hat, so its heritage would certainly support the casual.

Welcome (back) to the Lounge, Crane's. I'm very much enjoying my Filson bag. I suspect your store will get more of my money in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy