Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Topper

Vendor
Would say 'tis a "Summer Bowler" as

1) No liner
2) Airgaps in sweatband to allow to breath.
2) Light felt , not too rigid/stiffened

All above make it a great lightweight bowler for sumerwear asn easier to breath through.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Bowler has arrived

IMG_0835.jpg

The Bowler I purchase last week has arrived. As the seller stated the hat looks unworn. The felt is light and the crown can be easily dented with a light touch of the fingers. I have been working on a moderate down turn of the brim in the front with steam and the clamp method as seen in the picture I am posting. I hosted a memorial service yesterday at my home but it was too hot to wear felt. I brought out my featherweight Buka which received a couple of compliments. The only other man wearing a hat wore a large brim Panama.

RobStC

A-List Customer
Christys Wool Felt Bowler

Hi all,

Picked up a Christys Wool Felt Bowler (in Brown) the other day - fancied something a bit different and quirky (for me!). The wool felt was available and pretty cheap in comparison to a 'proper' fur felt, so I thought I'd give it a try.....

Anyone have any comments on whether the wool felt will stand up to rain? I know from fedoras that wool felt is not great for wet weather usage (we have a fair amount of rain here in Scotland :eek: ), but is the same true for such a stiff hat as a Bowler? The Christys is pretty stiff, with just a slight flexing of the crown if pressed hard, and virtually no flex of the sides of the hat.

Also, I know one can finely 'sand' fur felt (and have indeed done so) to smooth it a little - is the same true of wool felt? I'm a bit hesitant to jump in there, as it seems less likely. A good stiff brush helps to smooth the felt, but it does have a slightly furry look to it, in comparison to good fur felt.

Will post pictures soon - it has yet to have its maiden outing in public, but hopefully won't be long (Courage, my boy, courage.....).

Thanks,
Rob St.C

Torpedo

One Too Many
RobStC said:
Hi all,

Picked up a Christys Wool Felt Bowler (in Brown) the other day - fancied something a bit different and quirky (for me!). The wool felt was available and pretty cheap in comparison to a 'proper' fur felt, so I thought I'd give it a try.....

I was myself considering one of these, although apparently they have discontinued the grey model, which was the one I was interested in... Anyway, I would be happy to read a review from you.

Regards!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
I'm not so sure about what you've done to the brim on that one.
Thank you Dinerman for the feed back It seems my Bird & Sons rim does not take to being snap dwon so I am going to the take the advise and leave the brin as alone. Here a picture of me wearing the hat after letting it set over night
IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

RobStC

A-List Customer
Torpedo said:
I was myself considering one of these, although apparently they have discontinued the grey model, which was the one I was interested in... Anyway, I would be happy to read a review from you.

Regards!

Hi Torpedo,

Will let you know more when I've worn it for a bit, and will post some pictures.

Actually, I already think of it as my 'Torpedo' hat, as it was a picture that you posted a few months ago in the 'What are you wearing today' that got me intrigued by the idea of a brown bowler, and I thought it looked so good on you. I realise that others, such as SlimPortly, have also posted their brown derbies, but your pic was the one I related to..... So thanks for the inspiration :)

Best wishes, and I always enjoy your lively posts.
Rob St.C

Torpedo

One Too Many
RobStC said:
Hi Torpedo,

Will let you know more when I've worn it for a bit, and will post some pictures.

Actually, I already think of it as my 'Torpedo' hat, as it was a picture that you posted a few months ago in the 'What are you wearing today' that got me intrigued by the idea of a brown bowler, and I thought it looked so good on you. I realise that others, such as SlimPortly, have also posted their brown derbies, but your pic was the one I related to..... So thanks for the inspiration :)

Best wishes, and I always enjoy your lively posts.
Rob St.C

Hi,

I am glad my pictures served as a spark for you! :) Thank you also for the kind comments.

Vanity issues aside ;) I think the "What hat are you wearing today" really functions as an inspiration source. Not a few of my purchases were directly related to postings there, and it provided encouragement to try new styles, too.

The Lounge is great, isn't it?

That brown bowler of mine is a fur felt Beaver Brand model. Although, it being fur, is surely better material than Christy's wool bowler, I suspect the latter may have better styling.

I look forward to your news.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was looking at village hat shop last night after reading this thread.

Not being sure that I actually want a bowler (or derby), I was wondering about the $34 model they show. Doesnt say fur or wool, although I suspect wool.

I like their Bollman derby because its 'chestnut.' I love brown. And I guess $100 isnt the end of the world.

But if Im gonna experiment, its gonna be as inexpensively as possible. Anyone have any input on the $34 Jaxon Englisg Derby?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. They've got 3 fur felts in their collection, and the derby is one. I'm happy to be wrong, as $100 for wool is way too much.

Philip K Nelson

New in Town
Derby vs. Bowler - how can you tell which it is?

The answer is very simple; Bowler is the name given to the this "stiff" hat in Britain; Derby is the name given to it in America. My grandfather, James Howard Knapp, copied the British style and created the name when he introduced them in New York City in the mid-1800's. By the way, on many sites his middle name is listed as "Henry" - it wasn't. Additionally his company, C&K Hats, never had a factory in Stamford CT- it was always Norwalk. I never met my great-granfather but I was named for his son Philip and I knew John Cavanaugh and Bob Holmes as a child.
Philip Knapp Nelson

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Philip K Nelson said:
The answer is very simple; Bowler is the name given to the this "stiff" hat in Britain; Derby is the name given to it in America. My grandfather, James Howard Knapp, copied the British style and created the name when he introduced them in New York City in the mid-1800's. By the way, on many sites his middle name is listed as "Henry" - it wasn't. Additionally his company, C&K Hats, never had a factory in Stamford CT- it was always Norwalk. I never met my great-granfather but I was named for his son Philip and I knew John Cavanaugh and Bob Holmes as a child.
Philip Knapp Nelson

Welcome to the lounge! Do you have hats and/or other references of your grandfather? Would be great if you could post some! Maybe in a seperate C&K thread :rolleyes:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Philip K Nelson said:
Philip Knapp Nelson

I hope you know, this makes you royalty on the lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR