Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

carter

I'll Lock Up
Continued from Post #140

Stetson Standard Quality Derby
3443253756_9dff428bc6.jpg
3443252684_d08e7dd3d5.jpg

3443248380_f5927eb840.jpg
3442430427_b3667c0166.jpg

Stetson Nutria Fur Derby
3442421607_89d1bb8e8c.jpg
3443249638_9985c270c5.jpg

3443251134_860f8cb597.jpg
3442443221_4bf4c35144.jpg

Continued in next post...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nice collection, carter!

Is the Knapp Felt Derby a belled, English-style crown, or is it just a illusion of the camera?

Any ideas on the age? I'm guessing maybe '30s, from what I can see.

Brad

Tiller

Practically Family
I wish I had a vintage Bowler, but 7 1/2's seem to be rare for that era.:eusa_doh: I don't know how much of an opportunity I'd have to wear one anyways, but none the less I like the look of em.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Back in the day, these hats varied a good deal in the height of the crown. Here is Andrew Carnegie wearing a bowler/derby with a higher crown:

Carnegie-Andrew.jpg

I have a full beard like Carnegie (the only point on which we are similar) and a higher crown provides a better balance.

Nowadays, these are very hard to come by.

GWD

One Too Many
Carter your collection is amazing! You said the first hat is a Bowler and the rest are Derbies (is that spelling right?) What is the difference? Just crown height?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There's no difference.

Lefty said:
Here's another one of my "cool thing I learned from Debbie Henderson's Hat Talk" stories:

A derby is a bowler is a coke, depending upon where you are. The story, whether it's true or not, goes that Lord Coke needed a better form of topper for his men, who spent much of their time chasing poacher's off of Coke's land. The top hats got knocked off and were no defense for projectiles hurled by the poachers. Coke went to John Lock, the famous hatter whose business continues to this day, and asked Lock to design a suitable hat for the purpose. Lock bought his raw bodies from the Bowler brothers. He designed a short crowned, iron clad (shellac filled) hat. One myth says that Coke stood on the hat to test its strength. Coke liked what he saw, and a style was born.

On one side of the Thames, the hat was known as the Coke (Lock tradition dictated that a hat was named for he who commissioned it), while on the other, it was the Bowler. It's difficult to say why the hat is called a derby in the US, as that name is traced to the Early of Derby (which is pronounced Dar-bee).

With a shellac shortage in WWI and the growing acceptance of soft felt hats, bowlers themselves became softer hats. However, just as the every day top hat had transformed into a formal hat, the cultural significance of the bowler transformed. Within a few decades, the hard bowler became a sign of old sophistication and enjoyed a resurgence when President Eisenhower wore one.

All of this leads to the conclusion that the man in the photo is hardly a dandy. As well tailored as he may be, his hat indicates that he's dressed to chase away the thugs who have been poaching on the Lord's estate.

Brad filled in the missing part:
Brad Bowers said:
The following quote has been attributed to John Cavanagh. If anyone would know the story from Knapp, it would be Cavanagh, who was the best brim curler Knapp had at the time. It was under Knapp's tutelage that Cavanagh became a master hatter.

Quote: The first derby hat made in America was made by James H. Knapp way back when the Crofut & Knapp concern was known as Knapp & Gilliam. In those days the factory products were sold through jobbing houses, and the jobbing house that Knapp & Gilliam sold their goods through was known as Henderson & Bird. The story is that some one had seen a stiff hat, a good deal of the character of the square crown hats that were afterward worn by coachmen. This hat Knapp & Gilliam made and took to New York to the jobbers, they in turn taking it to a retail outlet then on lower Broadway, in the vicinity of Ninth Street. They placed an order for a dozen and a half each of brown and black. Mr. Knapp asked for a name for the style, because then, as now, most hats were given a name. An English clerk suggested that they call it the "Darby," as the English Derby was then on. The hat was so named and afterward by a mispronunciation was known as the "Derby.".

Maguire

Practically Family
My first hat was a bailey black derby that cost about 35 dollars. I got it back in HS. I really liked how it looked and it seemed unique in noir as it would stick out in a sea of fedoras.. I wore it for years actually back when my hair was long and poofy and used it keep it down but the weather really messed it up and eventually its beaten up look wasn't helped as i wore headphones under . I still have it but i haven't worn it in years. It was a fine hat but i don't know, it seems to stick out far more than fedoras even in regular daily wear.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Nice collection, carter!

Is the Knapp Felt Derby a belled, English-style crown, or is it just a illusion of the camera?

Any ideas on the age? I'm guessing maybe '30s, from what I can see.

Brad
Brad, The Knapp-Felt may be slightly belled but it's hard to see. The crown is noticeably shorter than that of the Harman & Son. I do not know the date of manufacture.

Here are two more pictures from the inside of the Knapp-Felt:
3445175848_de7634f4f5.jpg

There is another leather strip over a felt strip in the back under the sweatband. I suppose these were for sizing.
3445178898_05f314b147.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carter, that Stetson Nutria is quite a sight. Since it carries
the Chestnut St address, does it have a date of manufacture
on the inside of the sweatband? Any chance of a close-up
of that liner logo?

Thanks for showing that collection.

Still curious what people wear with their bowlers
(those of us not as cool as WEEGEE and his posse).

carter

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Carter your collection is amazing! You said the first hat is a Bowler and the rest are Derbies (is that spelling right?) What is the difference? Just crown height?
I just used the term Bowler to differentiate the manufacture of the Harman & Son as being in the UK vs the US. There is a marked difference in the crown height as well.
Here are some more interior pictures of the Harman & Son:
Label in crown
3445167738_0c1649868e.jpg

Hatters and Trimmers Union stamp affixed to reverse of sweatband
3445165182_4978f6636d.jpg

Joining of sweatband
3444345587_c69b251c18.jpg

Felt strip behind front sweatband
3445171060_31cd720a7c.jpg

Pin holes in crown. For ventilation?
3445168204_e0c0f3a3c1.jpg
3445166374_77d371ae3a.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Carter, that Stetson Nutria is quite a sight. Since it carries
the Chestnut St address, does it have a date of manufacture
on the inside of the sweatband? Any chance of a close-up
of that liner logo?

Thanks for showing that collection.

I don't know the date of manufacture. Hopefully, some of our more knowledgable members can shed some light on this.

Here are a few more pictures from the interior of the Stetson Nutria:
Tags
3444354443_269c680105.jpg
3445169334_5960deb653.jpg

Black paper strips placed between the liner and the body
3445174180_2a1caabfbe.jpg

Just as there is heavy black paper sewn on the top of the liner (over the logo), these would have insulated and protected the sides of the liner as well.

Close-up of liner logo
3445270424_2e90fc9b6b.jpg

Here are two more shots from the interior of the Stetson Standard Quality:
Tags
3444359369_bd5dac8c11.jpg

Close-up of liner logo
3444499037_40359cf05e.jpg

feltfan said:

Anything really. They were truly the everyman hat before the fedora took over that title in the late 20s.
You could see workmen wearing bowlers in their workclothes and people like Carnegie wearing them with a suit or even a tuxedo---I prefer a Homburg for that but ....:D
Today, I wear a bowler with a suit or with my everyday clothes which would constitute a pair of Khaki type pants, button down shirt and some type of jacket---usually a Pendleton shirt jacket with short coat lapels. It works as long as the colors don't clash.
I still have to get back to the guy about having a brown Derby made. [huh] :eusa_doh:

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Lexybeast said:
Anybody here have experience with the different fit you get from a bowler? My girlfriend got me a Christy's bowler in my correct size (7 1/2), and I find it's rather tight on the forehead, compared to my fedoras at least. The 7 5/8 however almost fell over my head. Maybe I just have a long skull!

I seem to have the same problem. I normally take a 7 5/8, but it was suggested that I try a 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 LO, but the shop didn't have any on hand. I'm still holding out hope, though. I'd wear it with a cable knit sweater, brown or black wool trousers and a brown or black workman's vest. Sort of an 1880's "Irish Pug" look, perfect for Boston. I may have to get a 7 3/4 and pad the sweatband.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Anything really. They were truly the everyman hat before the fedora took over that title in the late 20s.
You could see workmen wearing bowlers in their workclothes and people like Carnegie wearing them with a suit or even a tuxedo---I prefer a Homburg for that but ....:D
Today, I wear a bowler with a suit or with my everyday clothes which would constitute a pair of Khaki type pants, button down shirt and some type of jacket---usually a Pendleton shirt jacket with short coat lapels. It works as long as the colors don't clash.
I still have to get back to the guy about having a brown Derby made. [huh] :eusa_doh:
All right, I'll try it...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Here are pictures of the leather hat box that the Harman & Son Bowler came in. The tag on top of the box reads "Dominion Line". The leather is in good condition inside and out with the exception of the handle needing to be reattached. The stretchable material inside has dry-rotted and needs to be replaced. There was a pair of starched cuffs inside the box with the bowler.
3445465000_dc9a53f23d.jpg

Front with American Express World Service forwarding tag
3445469794_4e73ddfc52.jpg
3445067539_31e38e735c.jpg

Interior
3444649665_21defa8d97.jpg

Leather strap from interior
3445460662_a00eb73e61.jpg

Leather strap and detached handle
3445458018_04d4056946.jpg

starched cuffs found inside the hat box
3444644711_d08739a219.jpg