Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thanks, i'm curious to see if it will be the same crown and brim shape as my black HJ bowler. If I remember correctly this one was was sold at a later shop.

Sprinkles, great bowler. I've been really tempted to buy one with a tattered brim with the hopes of getting another color of grosgrain brim binding and ribbon like maroon or a dark grey.

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family

Like this one alot, it's a far different crown and brim shape than my other Herbert Johnson. The sellers pic's made it look a bit lighter, but its actually a fairly dark chocolate brown. I'll have to get a picture with my two HJ bowlers sitting next to one another for the side by side comparison thread.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Ha you can rest at ease it's a 57.

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but one of the members here bowlerman posted a vented brown derby a while back that inspires all sorts of envy its easily one of my favorite hats i've seen posted here. If you get a chance you should try and find his picture of that one.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Steve!! I love the old Stetson sweatbands. They just seem to have held up so well through the years. The texture seems to resemble a pig skin football I own. I wonder if the old Stetson sweatbands from the teens-20's were made out of a different kind of leather besides cow hide.

Some of the older hats I have seen have noted in the band that they were made of pigskin. I believe kangaroo leather is much more common now.

John Galt

Vendor
Hi guys. I recently purchased a "3 1-4 oz. Zephyr" hat and after hours of research traced it to the Higson & Collings Co., out of Danbury Connecticut. At one time the company employed 300 people. It was in operation only from 1895-6 to late 1899 (by February 1900, when the owners went their separate ways). One interesting thing is that that the hat has a wooden reed. I've seen this once before, on an old Stetson Nutria.

John Galt

Vendor
Hi guys. I recently purchased a "3 1-4 oz. Zephyr" hat and after hours of research traced it to the Higson & Collings Co., out of Danbury Connecticut. At one time the company employed 300 people. It was in operation only from 1895-6 to late 1899 (by February 1900, when the owners went their separate ways). One interesting thing is that that the hat has a wooden reed. I've seen this once before, on an old Stetson Nutria.

I have a lot of research on this company and the men who founded it. I will post it here at some point, along with photos of the hat. For bowlers, I also have a Stetson Standard, and a Packard circa 1911.

John Galt

Vendor
Very nice! I can't wait to see some photos!!

Ok, here are the Stetson Standard and the Packard. I had a new sweatband placed in the Standard, and a new ribbon to replace the old 1910-1920's style ribbon, which had rotted, but they didn't match the original ribbon or save the original sweat. I was quite disappointed, but I learned my lesson. I will replace the ribbon with a better match at some point, but its' got to be good enough to angle-cut & fray like the original.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369625465.016616.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369625501.216412.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369625533.576514.jpg

Packard to follow...

John Galt

Vendor
The Packard bowler. Dated to about 1911, as close as I can tell, based on old ads, and the D'Orsay curl. Anyone have a better estimate? Note the pin was a separate purchase.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369625874.231096.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369625916.963914.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369625933.347411.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369625969.331148.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369626040.398235.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369626094.547724.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
John, very nice! It's a shame the Stetsons original sweat was lost. Great looking derbys you have there!

Thanks, but I just buy 'em :)

Hi All

Hi John- Thank you for sharing those classic bowlers.
I myself need to add at least one quality vintage bowler to my wardrobe.
Best regards.
CCJ

There seems to be a lot of good old bowlers for sale lately. I think baby boomers are cleaning their parents' attics. Unfortunately, most seem to be small sizes, and they are probably quite hard to stretch effectively.. 6 7/8's abound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn