Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys for the positive comments! That cap is still a little rough, but I think that vintage look is there, and now with your thoughts that helps me know that I'm on the right track.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Oh yes Johnny, you nailed it! :eusa_clap The wool seems to be quite thick which I like a lot. Sure enough wearing it will have to wait a few month but the style is very much to the point and quite something else like the regular newsboy.

...now who could that particular lounger be? ;):D

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/hats/bond_tweed_cap/index.html

Bond 'Bertie Wooster' caps. If any of you have seen the English series 'Jeeves & Wooster' you will recognise this cap. Kind of seems to be the English answer to the French eight dart caps, or an oversized version of the English flatcap style. Different approach, but that seam right around the top seems to accentuate that high back - apparently some of them have four lines of stictching to further stiffen that area. Maybe not everyones cup of tea, so to speak, but probably a good choice to go with tweed suits and jackets I expect. For me, I'll probably stick to Wigens for the driver style caps, because of the quality, although I do like the wedgelike vintage angle. I really like the style of my City Sport Flat Cap actually... It has a deep back like these Bond caps, actually deeper than their Newsboys, but the front on profile is very narrow - if they made a fuller crown version in the same shape to go with the big brim it would be an awesome cap. I'm sort of gravitating back toward the driver cap style, maybe because I tend to wear my caps centred and the symmetry works better in that regard... and yeah, I kind of like changing my mind and switching to a different style occasionally. If there were only more oversized driver caps - they seem to be even rarer than oversized newsboys.

Goodness Adnamira, this link is dangerous! These caps look so nice and I am a fan of Hugh Laurie anyway.... :eusa_doh:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Rather pricey on there, Frank, and again, no way to tell what they are really like without actually getting one... But, this thread is called the Cap Faction and we haven't seen a Bertie Wooster style Bond cap on here yet. For that matter, there's a few cap styles we haven't seen hide nor hair of on here yet - don't think there has been any fisherman caps or engineer caps on here.

Olney make a Bond cap, and they seem pretty low priced, but being a factory made cap, as so often is the case, chances are they mightn't have the dimension of Bertie Woosters. Ah well, maybe someone will pop along here one day with one.

Hugh Laurie is a great actor. I bought my mother the Jeeves and Wooster series, and I'm enjoying it as much as she is - lot's of toffs wearing old style British kit.

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
You are quite right, they are expensive. But after watching the first episode of Jeeves & Wooster I am sure that I need one sooner or later anyhow. :D In fact I will have to buy the series too as I had a ball watching it - and if it is only for the old kit! :D

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Classic Cap Co has Bond caps that are apparently silk lined, 30 pounds cheaper, but their pictures are dreadful and it's hard to tell much about the dimension of them. I think they would be a quite easy cap to make for those skilled enough to do so, and it would be easy to work out dimensions - the peice at the top would give you the size of the crown, the piece at the back would give you the height, and I think a fabric stiffened brim rather than the plastic insert would be ideal for these caps.

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
[video=youtube;Dr3CQmdJjgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3CQmdJjgA[/video] Surpisingly, although when you think of Wooster you picture him in the cap, It's hard to find a youtube video of him with it on.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
1457_jeeves_and.jpg

lg-promo-jeeves-and-wooster-1.jpg

hughstephenjw05.jpg

britvideo2.jpg

Finally P.G. Wodehouse writer of Jeeves and Wooster.
Wodehouse+(1).png

51XZAOVaYzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
As it seems Wodehouse was a man with style too!
After watching the first episode yesterday I couldn´t help myself but had to buy the entire eigth DVD-pack of "Jeeves & Wooster". [huh]
Could be dangerous, I love the attire of Bertie Wooster so much.....

Adnamira

A-List Customer
What ho, old chap... found me another tailor of caps, I did! Looky see, down the bottom of the special offers page, a rather nice hand tailored bond cap. There's some very much like it called the Hemesomthingarather under the Gentleman's Hat listing in a wider selection of fabrics. Not sure these caps would work with my wardrobe, but it's always fun to discover something new in the world of caps. I should think these would be a very wise choice with a tweed jacket.

http://www.lawrenceandfoster.co.uk/acatalog/Special_offers.html

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Tally-jo my friend, another tailor indeed! As it seems you just need to look around for these whatchamacallits and they start popping up like mushrooms after the drizzle. Just keep them coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats