Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1930stweedcap.jpg

toyo.jpg

These two caps were on sale a few days ago...I was actually pondering the idea to make a bid but forgot about them.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
So here we go... new caps will be online today.
Here´s a little preview showing me wearing one of those fine caps:
It´s the brown herringbone linen/ cotton blend (70/30) lined with white linen, size 59

87106,leinenfischgrat017CEF7.jpg

87107,leinenfischgrat02SULNH.jpg

87108,leinenfischgrat030X057.jpg

87109,leinenfischgrat04V7L5X.jpg

This one wants to be worn cocked.
A wide brim that gives a good sunlight protection.
You can see the brim is going almost over the four front panels / from ear to ear.
I´ve made the leather sweatband on those caps 3cm/ 1,2 inches wide.
I´ve used smaller buttons on those caps.
Besides the leather like stuff I use to interface the brim those caps get and extra layer of horsehair (see last picture cap is laying on it) to stiffen.
The horsehair is a vintage 1950s fabric I was able to purchase... and that means that there is real horsehair processed... no synthetics stuff like todays "horsehair".
All fabrics used on this caps are locally made in Germany.
All fabrics (except the sanforized chambray) are pre-washed and ironed by me before making the caps... that will give you an easy care when the
caps need to be cleaned.
All in all those caps need more work and stuff to make them...

...man I really need a fresh haircut:D

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Nice one Bela looks good and cocked.:) Now you need to start making jackets and jean's.

Thanks mate!. Well I´ve already made stuff e.g. chinos, varsity jackets, shirts and bomber jackets and sold them. But now being a tailoring apprentice I simply
don´t have the time doing this regulary.
I still do it (if it´s interesting for me and paid reasonable) but don´t promote it that much.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Thanks Thunderball.
It´s a very slight adjustment at the seam allowances... not a big deal.

Four coupons left by now ;)

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
a little comparison of 1920 caps.
You see a style of Caps, how it Johnny C made. I think the shield on the photo looks a little bit shorter as Johnnys shield! My guess.
The last photo reminds on Hepville Caps.
The other Caps looks like Newsboy or Golfer Caps in different shape.
Caps were worn daily during this time and almost always the same over Years. Not enough money for a new Cap!
The small difference between the caps how the cap looks, could be! 1. different size! 2.Old or new. 3. material/fabric.

1920caps.jpg

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Whenever I've seen vintage caps on sale, they seem to be small sizes 6 3/4 or something, so I've been wondering maybe if people had smaller heads in the olden days.... Check out the fellow in the Chepstow's last pic - the fellow behind him his huge! and really ****** because they don't make caps in his size.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Thanks for this Manfred, very good pics!
I´ve just made a cap from Harris Tweed with the same modifications like my new caps... will show some pictures soon.
3 coupons with 10% off left… ;-)

Coupon code: FELLOWLOUNGERS12

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Jason, I think it is the internet blowing up everyone's head.:D
My dad wears a 6 7/8's hat but he only wears ball cap's I told him I could get all kinds of great hats in his size cheap.
People where just smaller back in the day diet had a lot to do with it. They just didn't get the kind of food to cause growth.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Jason, I think it is the internet blowing up everyone's head.:D
My dad wears a 6 7/8's hat but he only wears ball cap's I told him I could get all kinds of great hats in his size cheap.
People where just smaller back in the day diet had a lot to do with it. They just didn't get the kind of food to cause growth.

Haha. Yes, they didn't have the nutrition we take for granted now, so I think on average they probably did have slightly smaller heads. For sure, I see a lot of usually expensive brand name caps going dirt cheap in a lot of the smaller sizes - 56 to 57cm. Newsboys I think look good on people with smaller heads... as the brims and dimension of the caps look bigger, especially with factory caps where brims are the same size to all the sizes.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
These eight panels fromPOG Apparel look to have a good vintage shape to them... nice overcoats too! Stumbled upon them after a fruitless search for merino wool caps.

newsboycap_355.jpg

Only one colour though and no other pictures.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot