Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Winter Caps, Canada, 1920/21:
hatsampcaps1_zps8b1082be.jpg

The strap's really weird. It's more a feature I associate with French caps. And the buttons? Why would the War Department make a cap like this?

Another noteworthy point about the black cap (and this doesn't show well in the pictures, tbh), is that the bill is tiny compared to the crown diameter. Also note the skew-wiff placement of the snap.

very nice cap BK. apart from the strap around the front it's the same cut as the Venty Cumf i bought from you.

howardeye

Practically Family
I have not worn this MF cap for some time. It is made from the strangest fabric I have encountered! It just does what it wants so I let it!

Leamas

New in Town
Question for all regarding the sizing of Jonathan Richard (JR) caps. My head measures 23 and 1/8". Will a medium fit? I ask b/c I can't for the life of me find any size guides for JR hats. I own a Hanna in a medium and it fits, but I had to size up to a large in a John Hanly because they seem to skip the 59 cm size and go from 58 cm to 60 cm. Anyway, just curious if anyone out there knows whether a medium in a JR will fit me. There's a nice, clean used one I found at a decent price, esp. compared to the cost of a new one and am itching to pick it up.

I'll post pics. of my Hanly and Hanna caps.

Best regards,

Leamas

Leamas

New in Town
John Hanly and Hana hats

John Hanly salt and pepper followed by the Hanna, which is a lighter blue/gray. Not the clearest of photos.

046.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

047.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anxiously awaiting my new Simonds Cap:

600937_4786807707692_2044583416_n.jpg

524600_4786807827695_692198349_n.jpg

163573_4786807547688_1641945072_n.jpg

It's an amazing vintage Brown's Beach type of fabric. This may be Barry's best work yet:eusa_clap

I believe he has enough for one more cap, so get to him fast if you want one of these!

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
A very odd fish indeed. War Department manufacture in 1953, ended up in the BBC wardrobe. I got it in Hastings yesterday. Marked a size UK 6 3/4 but fits like a UK large 6 7/8 to 7.

Was it made by the War Department, or just acquired by the War Department? Several of Henry VIII's armours and other 15th and 16th century pieces have a WD stamp on the interior, since they were technically part of the national armoury in the Tower.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
flat-top,
Killer cap ,I have some pants in a fabric close to that Browns Beach stuff, Dont fit me im tempeted toooooooo.....
nice work Barry !

I've been talking to benstephens about this cap, and he has seen another example with WD stamps, but was never able to get satisfactory information about what they were for. Maybe HM Prisons? Maybe coalminers stuff?

I'd say they were certainly made for the War Dept. The letter above the broad arrow (in this case "L") is a date stamp, and the number below very likely an inspector's mark.This one made its way to the BBC wardrobe, accounting for many of the other marks.

Was it made by the War Department, or just acquired by the War Department? Several of Henry VIII's armours and other 15th and 16th century pieces have a WD stamp on the interior, since they were technically part of the national armoury in the Tower.

howardeye

Practically Family
This is what I looked like before a giant wave took my cap, my sunglasses, and ripped off the shorts. I got the shorts on and rescued the cap. No luck with the glasses that they do not sell in stores. The Simons vintage hickory stripe held up well in the salt water!

5201EEE8-3AAD-4BC1-A0F8-3FD9F4782D36-446-0000009602E65536_zpsbbae935a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran