Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The tweeds look great, but at about $125.00 a yard equivalent (aprox.) + shipping what would that add to the cost of a cap?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
... check the weights of those Dashing Tweeds too.
most are around 12oz... not equivalent to the typical heavier vintage cap tweed which is usually 18oz.

summer weight is a different matter of course.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
The tweeds look great, but at about $125.00 a yard equivalent (aprox.) + shipping what would that add to the cost of a cap?

You can also order 1/2 meter, depending on the style of cap and also on how wide the bolt is. I sent an email asking for the width and looks like they are gone for the day. But you can definitely make an 8 dart or 8 panel cap with 1/2 meter.

Simonds

Vendor
Yes, RLK, very pricey for a US maker! The cost for a cap would run much higher than average.
JC,They state the width in the product details as 150 cm wide. A little larger than an average yard
HBK, What era of caps are you referring to? I'm curios as I was under the assumption that the 20's and 30's were made with thinner lighter wool? Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Photo%20Aug%2013%2C%202%2031%2048%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2013%2C%202%2031%2056%20PM.jpg

Wanted to post BK's French work cap he had for sale.

Nice to see this, Ed - are they all gone? I love the profile of this cap, very unique and casual. Do you like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I also got one of those French denim caps from Baron Kurtz. I haven't yet decided whether to put a couple of stitches in to hold the cap to the brim. Every time I look at it I think 'Yes, that will look better' then I pull the cap down and think it looks better without. Decisions, decisions ....

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
HBK, What era of caps are you referring to? I'm curios as I was under the assumption that the 20's and 30's were made with thinner lighter wool? Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

1920s-30s tweed caps were heavy i.e. in the 18 oz area, unless designed for summer use.
my point is simply beware of seeing a swatch of fabric on screen and assuming it is the weight you want/expect it to be... i've made that mistake myself.
always check... most of the Dashing Tweed fabrics are 12 oz.

Simonds

Vendor
Thanks,HBK, for that bit of info on the caps, I wasn't aware of that being that most of the earlier caps that I have seen have the smaller button on the crown. I have also purchased fabrics that where not the weight as expected, pictures alone can be very deceiving and that goes for color too. Samples are the way to go if available. :)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks,HBK, for that bit of info on the caps, I wasn't aware of that being that most of the earlier caps that I have seen have the smaller button on the crown. I have also purchased fabrics that where not the weight as expected, pictures alone can be very deceiving and that goes for color too. Samples are the way to go if available. :)

If you go into the details they list the weight of each fabric, there are summer to winter weight examples.

Screen+Shot+2013-08-13+at+6.37.44+PM.png

I also wouldn't generalize the weight of 20's -30's caps which encompass a vast range of fabrics and weights.

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
I'm not sure if I should be posting these in the new cap fabric thread, but I'll go ahead here. I got my wife to take pix this morning of me in my Dashing Tweeds caps. You can get a feel for how these fabrics look in action. I can't speak more highly of the quality of every one of the fabrics I've ordered.

First up, I'm posting the cap style I think will be of most interest here, which DT don't even offer on their site but will make if asked - it's the style they call 'The Master', and it's a standard flat cap cut slightly fuller and with an extended brim, which I love. This one is the 'Teal Modernist' fabric.
IMG_9962.JPG

IMG_9964.JPG

IMG_9963.JPG

Ciao
Keith

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That's quite some fabric, maybe a little fast for my tastes but it's a nice one.

All I can say to you Keith is that I'm sure you are going to enjoy ordering new caps from Johnny J and Barry Simonds. As you might have worked out by now, they will make you any cap you want in any fabric, style etc.

Have fun!

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Here are several others - if you want any other views, just ask... In order, the fabrics are:
The Gherkin;
OXO Tower;
BT Tower;
New Dandy Blue (my least favorite - just too much);
Green Sergeant (2 views) - This one has 3M 'Lumatwill' refractive threads that, when struck by car headlights or other straight-on light, expose a different pattern - it's a brilliant visual, as they are invisible in normal light;
and my favorite of them all, Hyde Park Check.

IMG_9993.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9982.JPG

IMG_9966.JPG

IMG_9977.JPG

greensarg.jpg

IMG_9971.JPG

IMG_9974.JPG

Hope that's enjoyable to see. I know they're wilder than the usual fare here, but I'm excited to share nevertheless - and I'll post some of my vintage goodies as well soon.

Keith

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Thanks, Two Types! I do indeed have dastardly plans hatching with Johnny, and I'm sure Barry in the near future... Too much fun. I laughed when you called that fabric 'fast' - as you can see now, it was the 'slowest' of what I had to post! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany