Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Still on the search for a darker gray Herringbone, next I purchased this 8/4 panel Capas cap from a vendor on evilBay:

Capas_Charcoal_HB_1_zps5b7481cf.jpg

Capas_Charcoal_HB_2_zps19a9db96.jpg

I really like the pattern and the color, but the crown on this cap has more volume than any of my other caps and the material is still a bit "stiff" after years of wear. It has a bit more of a "classic" look than any of my other caps, and it's well made and comfortable, but I'm not overly fond of the "less rounded/more angular" look of the back of the cap, so I don't wear it as often as I wear my other caps.

Next is my second Hat People cap, listed on their site as "brown, green, and black":

HP_BGB_HB_1_zps46212896.jpg

HP_BGB_HB_2_zps8622d923.jpg

In person the overall color is more brown than anything else, with occasional hints of a greenish hue depending on lighting. This is a much better match to my Wested jacket than my first cap, and it gets a lot of "head time".

And, finally (for now), my third Hat People cap, listed as "black and gray Herringbone":

HP_BG_Herringbone_1_zps7579ba78.jpg

HP_BG_Herringbone_2_zps2ffdd19b.jpg

This is the dark gray Herringbone I'd been looking for all along. This and the previous cap are my favorites, and get the most head time. The front of the crown normally lies flat against the brim; I suppose I should have checked that before I took the photos.

So, that's the extent of my flat cap collection to date. Questions and comments (both positive and negative) are always welcome!

Those are some righteous looking caps Zombie. I personally like a cap with a little more drape as well. I'll have to check out the Hat People.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hey Zombie, it's nice to put a face to the wise-ass! ;) Really great to see your Hat People lids - the two brown caps I'm particularly fond of, and they all suit your long hair and crumb-catcher. They look like a good throw-and-go type of headgear, so I can see how they work for you. Good stuff!

That cap is the BOMB!!!!! You got a winner Stuffsmith. The color alone would make that an A+ , but throw in the pleat, and ....... Dammit Man!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Thanks guys. Amazingly, my first Simonds cap just showed up in the mail as well today - I'm really drowning in quality headwear! A little steaming to restore the shape and I'll post it up here probably tomorrow. Yes, Ed, this cap will now forever be the Split Pea to me!

Those are some righteous looking caps Zombie. I personally like a cap with a little more drape as well. I'll have to check out the Hat People...
Thank you. One of the reasons I like Hat People's caps is because they do have some drape; I've never quite warmed to the "pancake" look of most classic flat caps that many of the members here prefer. Almost all of their "Newsboy" caps are made with a Pendleton wool shell (in various patterns) and a cotton liner, and they can be a little stiff when they're new. I've gotten into the habit of "working" the material by rubbing it between my hands as soon as I receive a new cap, which relaxes it and allows it to drape more naturally.

The other thing I like is their consistency. All three of my Hat People caps, which were ordered at least a year apart, fit exactly the same and drape almost identically.

Hey Zombie, it's nice to put a face to the wise-ass! ;)
Well, now you know all you've ever had to do was look at my avatar. :D

...Really great to see your Hat People lids - the two brown caps I'm particularly fond of, and they all suit your long hair and crumb-catcher. They look like a good throw-and-go type of headgear, so I can see how they work for you. Good stuff!
Thank you. Between the darker green/brown/black cap and the dark gray Herringbone, I can wear them with any clothing I'd normally wear. And yes, their rather casual appearance make them perfect "grab and go" caps suitable for almost any occasion (though that could be said of almost all of the caps seen in this thread).

Although I haven't been posting much in this thread lately, I've been admiring your collection of flat caps. A few of the patterns are a little too "flashy" for me, but they all suit you very well!

My sincere thanks to everyone for the very kind comments! :yo:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. Amazingly, my first Simonds cap just showed up in the mail as well today - I'm really drowning in quality headwear! A little steaming to restore the shape and I'll post it up here probably tomorrow. Yes, Ed, this cap will now forever be the Split Pea to me!

Keith, great pics and the cap looks wonderful on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL