Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I've just made my first bow tie to match one of my caps. It's the same 1940s Japanese silk crêpe kimono cloth I used for the liner. I like that the match is hidden until you remove your cap, but the colors match cap-to-bow when wearing in the same pleasing way. I'll be doing more of this!

bowtie-salmon-kimono-5.jpg

bowtie-salmon-kimono-1.jpg

bowtie-salmon-kimono-2.jpg

bowtie-salmon-kimono-3.jpg

Nice idea! And brilliantly executed! That cap is spot-on too. Great balance and shape.

I've always wondered if there's a use for the space above the peak in a flat cap. Like a little internal slot for a miniature comb or something. After all, I reckon I get my worst hat hair when I'm wearing a cap (which is incidentally all the time!). What do you reckon Keith?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Like the caps, Daniel, especially the linen one. Nice contrast with the leather visor.

Chaps,
I would like to humbly ask for your creative input on a project I have lined up.

Sterkowski have generously offered to make me a custom cap.
I don't want to have them attempt a pattern they aren't familiar with, so I am using my flannel cap by them as a base:

It has vintage specs, having a diameter of roughly 11 inches. The crown lines up with the peak which is about two inches long.

I would like my next cap to have that slightly extended peak look, in the 1930s style, like such:

Bearing in mind the measurements-Is it as simple as asking for a longer peak, snapped to the crown? or does the crown need to be smaller instead?
Cheers!

How is this coming along? I've got that same cap as yourself, and had to do a bit of stitching to put some shape into it. I found it a little shapeless around the sides of my head. Also, as you seem to be going after, I think the brim is a little too short for the size of the cap really. I'd be very interested to know how Sterkowski do with their custom job, and would definitely consider one for myself if the price is reasonable.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Thanks Eddie - that's a funny and interesting idea, to pack away a little comb in the front of the crown. Wouldn't be much use for me, of course! ;)

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Ah yes of course sorry Keith! Well it doesn't have to be a comb it could be a sewing kit or cigarettes or an emergency £ (or $) note. Anything! Just a secure little pocket for whatever. It's been an idea that's intrigued me that's all!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Fantastic and prototipical one. Looks great!!

My first proper hat purchase.

A brown/grey Harris Tweed 8-panel bakerboy cap made by Bristol (UK) based hat maker, AmiCharnel on Etsy.

Now I can't profess to know much about hats or how to judge their quality but this does appear to be made by someone who knows what they are doing. It has a beautiful William Morris lining (a favourite designer of mine so I could hardly turn down said lining as an option), the peak has the same Harris Tweed on top and a dark brown, waxed cotton underside. The peak is buttoned down with a single wooden button and the button hole is situated on the centre seam. The back of the cap is elasticated and the cap also contains a waterproof membrane as an optional extra.
My hat was also made to a custom size of 60.5cm as I am quite prone to compression headaches and his standard Size L would have been a tad too small.

View attachment 29018
View attachment 29019
View attachment 29020
View attachment 29021
View attachment 29022

Metatron

One Too Many
Love your latest cap Keith, and the bow tie is beautiful too. Nice and slippery, with no chunky lining!
Eddie, love the pocket idea.

How is this coming along? I've got that same cap as yourself, and had to do a bit of stitching to put some shape into it. I found it a little shapeless around the sides of my head. Also, as you seem to be going after, I think the brim is a little too short for the size of the cap really. I'd be very interested to know how Sterkowski do with their custom job, and would definitely consider one for myself if the price is reasonable.

Btw according to my research, the existing peak shape isn't dissimilar to the 1940s British cap:

Small peak that lines up with the crown.
From Baron Kurtz's blog:
https://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/the-county-dunn-co-cap/

I haven't made the plunge yet, waiting on an influx of funds. It's a discipline thing. ;)
I'm going to just ask for a secured crown (they actually use a pin rather than a snap) and to extend the peak slightly by 0.5 inch, as per Johnny J's recommendation.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
I've just made my first bow tie to match one of my caps. It's the same 1940s Japanese silk crêpe kimono cloth I used for the liner. I like that the match is hidden until you remove your cap, but the colors match cap-to-bow when wearing in the same pleasing way. I'll be doing more of this!

bowtie-salmon-kimono-1.jpg

What a GREAT look!!!! I really like that tie!!!

~shoes~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner