The Cap Faction

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deanglen, Nov 8, 2007.

1. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

Yup. I noticed this as soon as I put it on. You win some and lose some.

2. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

I just discovered this video from JJ hats that does a great job of describing the differences between all the variations of flat and newsboy caps

3. ChicagoWayVito

ChicagoWayVito A-List Customer

Returned from Ireland where I picked up 4 flat caps. Two are Kilkarney tweed and the other two are Donegal tweed. All were bought in Dublin. The Kilkarney tweeds are Mucros brand and the Donegals are Kevin & Howlin. All are made in Ireland which was a goal of mine to support the local economy.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J737U using Tapatalk

Tukwila, Nico, deadlyhandsome and 5 others like this.
  4. dkstott

NICE LOOKING HAT!!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. dkstott

Does that Gamble and Gunn hat have a model name?? where'd you get it?? AKA Is it available in the US? LOL

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Olive cotton summer flatcap.

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  8. Nico

Nico One of the Regulars

dkstott and Short Balding Guy like this.
  9. dkstott

Posting this question here for the cap fans to respond. I've seen lots of articles and video's on proper hat storage, but none address storing caps.

How does everyone store their caps to maintain their shape?

I typically toss mine onto a closet shelf. Linen ones get worn during the summer and wool ones in the winter. It's just a matter of rotating stock depending on the weather.

Dave

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

By their very nature, caps don't usually loose shape. They are cloth, not fur felt. I use a large Tupperware style container and just stack my caps in it to keep the moths away.

Zombie_61 and dkstott like this.
  11. dkstott

Thanks, your method differs from what I was told in the past from hat store clerks.

I was told to stuff tissue into them or an old t-shirt when they're not being worn to maintain their shape.

Blackthorn likes this.
  12. Nico

Nico One of the Regulars

I just hang my berets and caps off the wall mounted coat hanger.

deadlyhandsome and dkstott like this.
  13. dkstott

2 things that I don't understand about caps

#1 I don't get the trend for skinny Ivy's (Duckbill caps).

#2 earflaps. What's up with that? I've picked up newsboys that I liked the looks of, only to find they have earflaps. The first thing I want to do is cut them off.

14. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Storage:
    Only caps that are completely dry, liners cleaned (wipes are used after wearing) and do not have human odors are stored.
    (1) Current rotation of caps - on a wooden shelf with cedar blocks. It makes them smell nice. Each cap has either a cap pillow (The Best Dressed Head - provides them for each cap) or has white packaging tissue in them. One tissue is rolled and fits against the back-top edge and another is balled to provide volume/shape. Each cap is in a loosely fitted zip-lock plastic bag that is not sealed.
    (2) Out of rotation caps - in plastics storage boxes with cedar blocks (enjoyable smell again). The caps have their "pillows" and are in unsealed bags.
    (3) Drying or just cleaned - these caps sit on wooden hat blocks (covered in thin plastic wrap to prevent and wood or trace color coming of on liner).

FYI: My hat steamer is used for caps and hats.

As to other comments:
    (1) Ear flaps - I have 1 vintage and 1 custom caps with ear flaps. In my neighborhood, Minnesota, MN ear flaps on a cap really are comfy on below 0'f days even with my wool collars pulled up high. In the cold, a dog walk or an excursion into the woods and ear flaps are used. I have a couple of Stormy Kormers for chores that the ear flaps are used when it is cold. Using a chainsaw is hard work, but not for my ears. They protect against the wind.
    (2) Styles of caps - style is choice. Thank goodness for choice. To each their own style choice. I do like the 20's and 30's styles of caps. I am of an age and disposition that I do not feel pressured to meet anyone's style expectations. I have a variety of styles that I wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best, Eric -

15. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

I was taking a walking tour in Austria last April and noticed that a number of men in the group were wearing flat caps of one description or another, including myself. The wind kicked up and it began to drizzle. The temperature was in the mid forties. After a few minutes of the cold wind blowing the drizzle, I noticed that all the cap wearing men were now sporting earflaps to keep the cold drizzle out of their ears. Including me. The earflaps weren't apparent before being pulled down and put into use. I was certainly glad mine had them.

16. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

I don't know, why. But I like fieldcaps on women, but not on men. On women, it looks anyhow very cute. :)

17. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

A recent arrival from Monsivais & Co. I opted for a leather brim to reduce wear from handling.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nico, Zombie_61, Tukwila and 3 others like this.
  18. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

That looks great with the white linen.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  19. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Now that I know where I can get a cap like yours, where can I get one of those pipe wrench pins? I'm...uhhh...asking for a friend. :D

Tukwila and deadlyhandsome like this.
  20. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

It is actually a cream bull denim. But thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tukwila, ScottyD and Zombie_61 like this.