Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

seabass

Call Me a Cab
YEA nobody is constintant & those tapes used for measuring hats dont work & they actually streach,
so i can see in doing piece work it can be tough per commercial machine cut caps,
but the hand made caps are nice & worth the trouble to get 1 that fits perfect.
I have about 12 Bespoke caps made in San Francisco they all have slight variances but are bad ass caps so i wear em.
Say Adnamira get a retro-sport i want your feedback there not 8 panel but full cut & cool

seabass

Call Me a Cab
I think there must be some variance. Ralf Reynolds lists his 7 1/2 size as 61cm; whereas if you go on the US conversion it should be 60cm. Yet the cap fits loser than actual 61cm caps that I do wear... so I don't know what is going on there. I don't even know what 7 1/2 is actually a measure of - does the hat maker have to measure the circumfrance in inches and then use some formula to convert it to the hat size system - there's a whole lot of potential for trouble and confusion there.
My Ralf Reynolds fit tight i ordered my size, got it years ago my son kept it he's 1 size down from me he loves it Dingle berry & all its a nice cap's but there we go with sizing

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But what is confusing I wear a 7 1/4 0r metric 58 i copied this directly from the ebay listing (T 59 * SZ 7 1/4 * 22"3/4)
& Johnny J is a 7 3/8 or metric 59 this is copy off the ebay listing (■T 60 * SZ 7 3/8 * 23")
we both had larger than stated as in inches. I measured i have a hat tool that measures in inches the inner circurmfrence & the hat measured big.. Johnny J bought my 2 T59 & i ordered 8 in T58 & 6 fit great & 2 loose (those 2 are getting leather sweats installed as we speak)
So there seems to be some inconstincancy with the sizing per the hat maker & the Listing is wrong for USA size's in inches
:eusa_doh: I didn't even see this sizing info chart in the listing. Now I see it. You are right! The seller made a mistake there.
Usually metrical 60 is the american 7 1/2 and 61 is 7 5/8. So your info for US buyers was absolutely right. [huh] I think T stands for Tête (head) not for a measurement.

I still wonder if I should go with another fabric because the wool was a bit thin.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_doh: I didn't even see this sizing info chart in the listing. Now I see it. You are right! The seller made a mistake there.
Usually metrical 60 is the american 7 1/2 and 61 is 7 5/8. So your info for US buyers was absolutely right. [huh] I think T stands for Tête (head) not for a measurement.

I still wonder if I should go with another fabric because the wool was a bit thin.
FFF with a Floy-Floy, so that clears that wrong info on the ebay listing for the US buyers..
FFF she sent me a too small cap by mistake (i got to send it back) a thick wool that does not have the cool shape (thick wool is too round shaping) as the lighter fabrics which have sharper corners so they stand up almost & have a great profile. so take that into consideration
The correct cap arrived a Linen The best shape & sharp corners at the rear stand at attention ! my favorite so far, that makes 11 diffrent caps From Retro-Sport i have handled so far.. but i live in California so i need a light fabric.
Mamie Blue Seems very nice the seller But is new to ebay so there learning... Hopefully she will correct the size listing.
I sent her the Cap Faction Link so she probably checking us out, Mamie Blue We want the new caps with the leather sweatbands & the Buttoned belt in front please.... cant wait

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I think there must be some variance. Ralf Reynolds lists his 7 1/2 size as 61cm; whereas if you go on the US conversion it should be 60cm. Yet the cap fits loser than actual 61cm caps that I do wear... so I don't know what is going on there. I don't even know what 7 1/2 is actually a measure of - does the hat maker have to measure the circumfrance in inches and then use some formula to convert it to the hat size system - there's a whole lot of potential for trouble and confusion there.

OK, I think the sizing confusion is likely a US vs GB convention. I'm about 59 cm = 7-3/8 US = 7-1/4 in British hats.

The US size can be found as Circumference/pi, so it's the diameter of a perfectly circular head!
For example, (59 cm) /(2.54 cm/in) = 23.2 inches. Divide that by 3.14 and you get 7.39 = 7-3/8. How our British cousins went off the rail, I have no idea.

For your example and working the other way, 7-1/2 British = 7-5/8 US.
So (7.625 in) x (2.54 cm/in) x 3.14 = 60.84 cm, close enough to 61.

All the charts I've seen were consistent, but some don't explain the different conventions used.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
OK, I think the sizing confusion is likely a US vs GB convention. I'm about 59 cm = 7-3/8 US = 7-1/4 in British hats.
The US size can be found as Circumference/pi, so it's the diameter of a perfectly circular head! (59 cm) /(2.54 cm/in) = 23.2 inches. Divide that by 3.14 and you get 7.39 = 7-3/8. How our British cousins went off the rail, I have no idea.
Woodfluter you lost me since i am a Long Oval......But there is a good formula you got there... but that doesnt correct inconstintancys with a hand made cap... Fedoras are soo much easy to fit un seen naw we just get lucky or lose because were all hat / cap addicts & buy more than we need. LOL

Adnamira

A-List Customer
The US size can be found as Circumference/pi, so it's the diameter of a perfectly circular head!
For example, (59 cm) /(2.54 cm/in) = 23.2 inches. Divide that by 3.14 and you get 7.39 = 7-3/8. How our British cousins went off the rail, I have no idea.

That is interesting! And it is odd that the hat sizes are different, seeing that 'The international yard is defined as exactly 0.9144 metres. This definition was agreed by the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand in 1959.' So the inch is the same for both the US and British. Hat People have done a good job with their hat sizing and band design.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Say Adnamira get a retro-sport i want your feedback there not 8 panel but full cut & cool

Yeah, I think the Retro Sports would work for me. I am quite happy with my collection at the moment. I just need more opportunities to wear them. Living in the Australian bush, I need a range of styles and types - from dress caps to more rugged outdoor caps, so I need twice as many caps as usual... that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

Now, all the French have to do is go back to the Frank, or whatever currency they had before the Euro, so that I can take advantage of the exchange rate, which has been in my favour when buying from the US - for the first time in history! Ten years ago I would have been paying nearly twice as much for these caps, now I am getting like a five dollar discount.

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Ok guys, I´ve promised to tell you about the Hepville cap I´ve recently aquired from Bela. It was bought over Ebay and I had a very friendly contact with him. Shipping was quick as promised and everything went smooth as it should be. Bela wrote that his caps are a copy from an original 1940ies cap which appealed to me because nothings´s better than the real thing.

What I really enjoy is the heavy Harris-Tweed and the cap is a black and white Herringbone pattern. The liner is black cotton and there is no sweatband but one original "Harris" brand patch and Belas own "Hepville" patch inside. The cap is quite soft and plyable, even the brim isn´t stiff as if there´s cardboard inside. I like that because you can stuff it inside a bag or pocket without a problem. The front is sewn to the brim which is fine too, I wouldn´t open up a press button anyway.

I have ordered size no. 59 and it fit´s like a glove. On the head it holds it´s shape and form easily, not much adjusting required. The price which you all know is quite competitive for a handmade item so no buyers remorse here too.

There´s just one thing: When I put it on for the first time I wasn´t quite sure about my looks. Was it to bulky or large? Did I look funny or odd? What would the wife say or would she burst out in laughter instantly? :eeek: Caps were not made for my head was what I was thinking before. They are for pensioners or older men with tiny heads. Especially the more low profiled ones. But I liked the look of those newsboy cap on old photos and most of you guys here can really pull it off too!

So here is the proof of the pudding and it´s about you gentlemen if I am hooked for the future or if this cap has to go in the drawer:

DSCN2054.jpg

DSCN2056.jpg

p.s.: BTW, the wife liked it.
p.p.s.: Thank you Bela, I will buy again from you! :eusa_clap

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Thank you Razzman, I am starting to build up some selfconfidence wearing the cap already. :) I prefer those heavy Harris tweed fabrics and will try to aquire another one in green or brown.

Frank

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Hey Frank, that cool Cap from Bela is ordered for me too! The same color! I see it was a good choice it looks fantastic.
The fabric falls good and it looks voluminous and soft!

Razzman

One Too Many
:cry::cry::cry:I ordered a Gloucester cap from Bookster in the UK. The Gloucester cap, which is a traditional 8 panel cap with the button on top. It was a Christmas gift. I ordered the cap January 3, 2012. The cap arrived today! A nine plus week wait. Much to my disappointment, it's the wrong style cap. Anybody here at the lounge have dealings with Bookster? I've dashed off an email with photographs. I have no use whatsoever for the cap that was sent. The cap itself is custom made and well done. Hopefully I can resolve this with Bookster. :cry::cry::cry:[

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
@Manfred: It´s my first Newsboy so I can´t compare it. Anyhow, I don´t believe that you will be disappointed.

@Razzman: That´s a pity! I have eyeballed the website for long now and would love to order a suit or a cap too. A minute ago I was looking at the Gloucester myself! What cap did they sent?

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Nice Cap, Sled Dog. I don't know if that is what is called a ducks bill, but that should be what a ducks bill should look like. I like the way it is contoured on the beak... I mean bill... I mean brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass