Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Maybe someone else has got your Cloucester, Razzman. Selling things on ebay, I reckon it's not hard to get addresses mixed up and send the wrong item to the wrong person if there is a number of them. An ebay seller sent me a usb interface once that was a $100 dearer model than the one I ordered - guess that time it worked in my favour.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I have a question or two.

Looking ahead to my head in warmer weather, and liking caps more and more.
I have one linen 8/4 and like it. Payne Stewart (RIP) via Peterman in gold.
But it's a bit on the floppy/wrinkly side. Much prefer how my tweed ones hold their shape.

Also, the P.S. has the (don't know proper term) visor construction where the stiffening part is separated from the sweatband by a gap, something I've seen on Christy's and other modern tweed caps but don't really care for, personally.

Also have taken a liking to City Sport lately. They have linen and also silk offerings.

So my question(s) are, for those who have something akin to these:

- Do any of the linen makes hold shape better? For example, because they are made of a thicker linen fabric, like one I had way way back in the 1970s.

- How are the silken jobbies? Does a little bit of precipitation or sweat hurt them, do they hold their shape, all that.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
My favourite and the only one I have with me on my current jaunt. Made by EW Kibbin. Probably 1930s.

KibbinCap1.jpg
KibbinCap2.jpg

KibbinCap3.jpg
KibbinCap4.jpg

KibbinCap5.jpg

KibbinCap6.jpg

Adnamira

A-List Customer
It will be interesting to see the responses to that, Woodfluter. Cotton and linen are fabrics that are going to wrinkle, I fear. I have a HP linen cap, which a lot of people on here have said are there least favourite HP cap fabric, but which is probably my most worn cap - it wrinkles and creases a lot. I wished that I had asked Wintergreen more about his silk City Sport Caps. I haven't had any experience with silk caps. I have a Stetson Hatteras Tropical Wool Cap - 97% wool and 3% elastane - the fabric isn't soft like a tweed, but very flat, hard and smooth, and even the sweatband is made out of it, but it is cool and it doesn't wrinkle like cotton or linen. Actually, if you hold it up to the light, you can nearly see through it, it is that thin and light, so perhaps you wouldn't want to wear it if you were bald for sun protection in the middle of the day. Downside of hatteras is that although the crown has plenty of depth and fits well, the dimension is pretty small for a newsboy - more like a glorified baseball cap http://www.delmonicohatter.com/Stetson-Hats-Cloth/STC11.htm

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Looks really good on you Frank... you´re absulutely a Mützenkopf ;)
So wear it with confidence and start buying more from al those brands you can choose from!

Hepville

One of the Regulars
So Manfred´s cap is ready and will be shipped by monday.
I´ve added a leather sweatband to the forehead. It´s sewn by hand and from now on you can choose it as an additional option in my Etsy Shop:
il_fullxfull.319323303.jpg

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
City Sport Donegal Tweed: Lord of the Rings Series - Shelob Herringbone

Anybody want pups? Interesting comparison with Wigens. Brims are made and padded in an almost identical fashion - surprised me that the brim on the City Sport is actually bigger! Caps also fit on my head very simarly, inspite of the different style.

Of the caps I've bought so far, the Wigens has surprised me the most in how much I like it and the City Sport is the cap that has lived up most to my expectations. I'm very happy with both of them.

Pardon, which style Wigens is that and material? Great cap.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Looks really good on you Frank... you´re absulutely a Mützenkopf ;)
So wear it with confidence and start buying more from al those brands you can choose from!

Thank you Bela! I really enjoy the cap already. Looking at the leather sweat band you have added it seems like a huge improvement - very good idea!

"hat head" or "Mützenkopf" Frank :D

Razzman

One Too Many
@Baron, fine looking cap! I like the color.
@ Hepville, great looking cap, the leather is a good idea.
@ Adnamira, I just received a quick reply from Bookster, they hinted that perhaps my Gloucester cap is still there. They will be back on Monday to check and get back to me.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I always wonder why ball cap cloth does get used for summer weight caps. I have some cheap ones that use a light weigh version. New era baseball caps come in all types on designs using this style of cloth. I know people want to have the newsboy more dress than a ballcap but they do have tweed designs in ballcap cloth too.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Thank you guys!
Well I would rather call it freedom of choice instead of improvement. It´s an option to customize my caps the way you want it... if someone wants a cap with a pink dotted lining I even can do that.:D

I guess in the future I will come up with summer linen caps too. I still have something in mind... I have access to fabrics from a traditional linen weaving mill in Germany. They have some nice narrow loom linens I´ve already used for shirts (in lighter weights). I may see if they have something suitable for me caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925