Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

riccardo

Practically Family
mmm...good guys,
wind days caps or basque (I've one in black color really pretty) or my newsboy cap...calm days fedoras...good idea: many thanks!!!

God Bless you.
Riccardo.

email68

One of the Regulars
Finally made here after seven weeks. My new Hat People Cap. This is the deep cut in Green, Brown & Black Herring Bone.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

I think I like the deep cut look for me. What do you think?

-Tim

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Back in the 1980s I found a beautiful eight piece 1920s/1930s grey herringbone cap in an antique shop whilst on holiday in St Augustine, Florida. I wore it regularly, even when it had started to fall apart. And then I sadly left it in a pub back in 1992.
Yesterday, I decided it just had to be replaced (maybe i was subconsciously inspired by the fact that I was wearing a grey herringbone coat and grey herringbone tie at the time). I went into Bates Hatters on Jermyn Street and founded the nearest possible replacement. And most happy I am with it.

With all cap purchases they also include a rather useful cap carrying bag (I have tried it and it fits about four caps - depending on how thick they are).

batescap.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

pipvh

Practically Family
Very nice indeed. I'm glad to see that Bates is still coming up with the goods. Their 8-piece seems to be the best out of the famous London hatters (Lock does a good one but not, somehow, as good, and HJ, when they were still a proper business, didn't quite match up either, though my dad still has a nice HJ 8-piece). I've been trying to make one of the Bates Sandowns (wider flat cap) work for me but it's still my increasingly knackered, stained old 8-panel that ends up on my head.

Joe College flat cap from ebay... least expensive item with the word college on it that I've seen in the last few years.

Nice lightweight wool/rayon blend, strap and buckle in back. 1940s - 1950s?

joecollege1.jpg

joecollege2.jpg

joecollege3.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
Nice looking cap, Alan. Pretty active colours! I know what you mean about college. Today, it costs more for a single course than my whole annual tuition 'back in the day'. Thank goodness my son is finished!

Thank you for the comments. I'm happy with it and the fabric remind me of black liberation colors which were a strong theme on campus when I was there.

Thanks Al... erudite may be a stretch, but I would agree that I have acquired sufficient hat specimens to cover my cerebrum during this lifetime and a couple after. :)

s_crumb

Familiar Face
Can anyone recommend a more "substantial" newsboy cap than the one offered by Hat People? I have a cap from them and while I am happy with it I am interested in one with a stronger brim and heavier weight tweed. I would like something that I could shape the brim a bit and a material that holds it's shape a bit more.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What I've been looking for is something like that cap Abe Lyman is wearing in this photo:

lopez.jpg

Not an exact match, but a good quality wide flat cap at an affordable price (£75).This is an 'oversized' flat cap made by Oliver Brown in the UK.
http://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/media...8d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/mens-caps-oversized.jpg
They make them in a variety of tweeds: http://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/media...525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/w/swatch_copy_17.jpg

I have a couple of them which you can see on page 96 of this thread.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Mario, that is an extra full cut Casquette style cap. Only Retro Sport and Mr. Freedom are the places making the style that we know at present.
An neither make an extra full cut version of the cap. If you go back a few pages you will see the Mr. Freedom and Retro Sport models.

Their are flat caps but they are not vintage styled like the casquette 8 dart that is in this picture.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Not an exact match, but a good quality wide flat cap at an affordable price (£75).This is an 'oversized' flat cap made by Oliver Brown in the UK.
http://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/media...8d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/mens-caps-oversized.jpg
They make them in a variety of tweeds: http://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/media...525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/w/swatch_copy_17.jpg

I have a couple of them which you can see on page 96 of this thread.

Thanks for the link. The 'oversized' cap looks actually pretty nice.

Mario, that is an extra full cut Casquette style cap. Only Retro Sport and Mr. Freedom are the places making the style that we know at present.
An neither make an extra full cut version of the cap. If you go back a few pages you will see the Mr. Freedom and Retro Sport models.

Their are flat caps but they are not vintage styled like the casquette 8 dart that is in this picture.

I really like the loook of the Mr. Freedom caps but the price tag is a rather beefy one. And the smallest size is 7 1/8... I have a tiny noggin and need a 6 7/8 - which is pretty difficult to find anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy