Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I´d say the sportscoat and cap work nicely for you. I´d just skip the T for a normal shirt or stick to a plain T with no artwork or lettering on it. Some might say a sportscoat and T-shirt is too eighties, but what the heck, we´re fashion idiots after all. :D

Looks good, carry on!

Frank

Well, I am a recovering bogan. I used to have greasy long hair and wore flanos over t-shirts. I think I may even have had a pair of black jeans at one stage. It's a hippy, hug an arty looking moose t-shirt, so I thought maybe it went with the lefty folk image. But yeah, I would normally go for a button up shirt... button shirts are way more flattering when you have a beer belly too. I'm just a guy uploading videos from his bedroom at this stage, and the idea of taking a clean button up shirt to just wear for five minutes seemed like a hassle... but there is no better way to see what works fashion wise than seeing yourself on video - can be a aweful shock sometimes. Thanks for the advice, Frank. I need all the help I can get! :p

Woodfluter

Practically Family
The pic of the hat with me holding it up is from the side.
The peak is the same size front and back and narrower around the sides.
I am unsure of the age as I was given it around 10 years ago.
The label inside has 2 royal crowns and all my newer Barbour clothing has 3 crowns, I have no idea if that helps with dating or not.

Picture-1.jpg

I have one very like that, bought in Edinburgh or Glasgow in the 1980s. Don't know the proper name for it, but fore-and-aft is what I recall. It seems to be trad hunting gear, as is the deerstalker, and associated mostly with Scotland somehow.

"How do you date a Barbour?
Look at the Royal Warrants. Barbour received Royal Warrants from the Duke of Edinburgh in 1974, Her Majesty the Queen in 1982 and the Prince of Wales in 1987. Our example has the first two warrants but not the third so dates from between 1982 and 1987."
(from: http://collecting20thcruralculture.blogspot.com/2009/02/barbour-jacket.html )

Last edited:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I have a casquette Retro Sport on its way from Mamie Blue...

I'll post pictures when it arrives.

They mention this cap having been worn, for example, by Jean Gabin in La Belle Equipe. Here's a clip from that movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi-WY_1zf-8

Apparently, he and other French actors had a longstanding partiality to styles without seams on top...in later movies (1930s and as late as 1954) he's wearing one with a seam around the top part, but no apparent gores, and rounder. Kinda interesting. Not what I generally associate with British and American caps of that period, but maybe I haven't looked carefully enough.

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
We'll have to start calling this the Sports Faction, Woodfluter ;) If I am happy with my first purchase, which I expect I will, I will probably try one of those light wool blend ones for next summer. Nice fabric in the one you ordered too... it's kind of like tweed, but different somehow. Reminds me of stars all that random pilly spots.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
You'll have to get one of these if they fit me, Woodfluter, seeing we are the same headsize and seem to have similar tastes in caps. I ordered one, they only have them in large, which is either 59 or 60... I hope. Gunna be interesting wearing this one down the streets of a rural Australian town... might be a Queen of the Desert moment. http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/acatalog/baker_boy.html

4564dBakersboy11Donmulti.JPG

Found this seller thanks to a post by Speedster.

wintergreen

New in Town
Thanks Woodfluter, I was sure somebody would know about the warrants.
Have to say the hat has stood up well, it gets used in the worst of weather and spends the rest of its time folded in half and stuffed in a pocket.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
You'll have to get one of these if they fit me, Woodfluter, seeing we are the same headsize and seem to have similar tastes in caps. I ordered one, they only have them in large, which is either 59 or 60... I hope. Gunna be interesting wearing this one down the streets of a rural Australian town... might be a Queen of the Desert moment. http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/acatalog/baker_boy.html

4564dBakersboy11Donmulti.JPG

Found this seller thanks to a post by Speedster.

Yeah, I'd seen that one.
Also this one, which appeals even more, if going wild and wacky...

I'd get it if I could find a less expensive source, or one stateside so freight wouldn't be so high.
(Sheesh, you're all a bunch of enablers!)

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Yes, I saw that one too, and more sizes. I just been looking for a tweed cap that isn't predominately blue but had a blue fleck in it. I only found this site by accident. I just can't find that mult-coloured marl tweed anywhere. I was surprised they only charged me 8 pound for postage. I've been posting caps in Australia and it has been costing me $11.50, so $13-$14 from UK doesn't seem bad to me - our exchange rate is very good at the moment though. They are listing them at 11 inches, but most of the CS on their site look more like the smaller newsboy to me.

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Oh wow, I am looking forward to seeing a pic of one of you guys wearing such a wacky cap. I am not sure if I could throw that much to the people around me. :D They are giving me names already....

Anyway, I have pulled the trigger again tonight. Not sure if this will be a good one as I will have to be either lucky or try one of those shrinking-tricks. It was cheap though... I will post it as soon as the mailman shows up with it.

Frank

tealseal

A-List Customer
Submission for entry into the prestigious Cap Faction

My first cap was this Dobbs. It's new, not vintage, and its only redeeming features are that it's wool, comfortable, versatile, and I love it. I hope with it I am worthy of joining the Cap Faction!! :yo:

img0477y.jpg

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Of course you are worthy Tealseal! Thank you for sharing this Dobbs cap with us. Maybe you can post up a pic with you wearing it. I'm sure everyone would will appreciate it!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Nice one from what I see, Tealseal. What's the diameter of that one? And what does the visor look like? Hard to tell, but it looks like it might have a fairly substantial size or else a smaller visor. Material looks like you could wear it almost year-round. People differ, but I think fairly lightweight wools are comfortable in warmer weather. Wool is good stuff.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Oh, it´s so easy to become infected.... :D

Nice cap, BTW.

Frank
lol Yes it is, but I LOVE IT!! :D

Nice one from what I see, Tealseal. What's the diameter of that one? And what does the visor look like? Hard to tell, but it looks like it might have a fairly substantial size or else a smaller visor. Material looks like you could wear it almost year-round. People differ, but I think fairly lightweight wools are comfortable in warmer weather. Wool is good stuff.
Not sure how to measure caps properly, so excuse my newbie-ness if I get it wrong. But, it measures 9.25" side-to-side (minor axis? :confused:) and about 10" front-to-back (major axis? :confused:). It is pretty lightweight, not sure how well it'll do in high summer, but it does great in moderately warmer weather (up to about 75 so far). I have another cap that's just come in for 100 degree time :cool: Here are some more shots:
img0721oc.jpg

img0718t.jpg

Nice looking cap, Tealseal!
Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner