Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

DamianM

Vendor
Caps from that era were so different from maker to maker.
I in particular make them differently then others here on the thread.
I made my pattern from scratch without the use of a cap, then adjusted the pattern here and there to receive different results.
Some rounder and some with more defined edges.

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Thanks Damian, you photography on you ETSY website is outstanding!! It reminds me of those really great food magazines where the photography really bring out the taste of the food! Whoever did you shooting was really good! It makes everything you sell delicious and tempting! I like the checkered Newsboy cap you got there. For reference, are you able to make this a 5 pleat 1920's style cap? I like your super wide 11.5 1920's diameters!

DamianM

Vendor
Thank you! I'm also a photographer. I do believe that photography sometimes makes a difference.
The 5 pleat cap is one of my favorites.

I sent you an email so we can keep this conversation out and this thread on its direction.
Or you can PM on etsy

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Blackthorn! Did you like the hats you got from them?
I had them do work on hats, I didn't buy their hats (their work was competent, nothing out of the ordinary). I was tempted to have them make a fedora the first time I went in, but they charge so much that you could buy 2 from Art Fawcett, for what they charge. And out of the 4 women who run the place, only one has any degree of politeness. I've used them several times but I won't any more.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone! Although I barely have the time to participate much here anymore, I'm still here, in the shadows...and sometimes, under fluorescent lighting.

My first newsboy. I ordered it from Brett Stiles (B! Wear Cap Co.). By the way, I decided on him, based on research via this great forum. I love the cap, and have already ordered another. :)

Attachments

• 20140123_133519-1.jpg
    20140123_133519-1.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Thanks! It's a Gray Tweed Herringbone, and it's even nicer than I expected it to be. It really is perfect, in my opinion. I just ordered a Tan Herringbone.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hi everyone! Although I barely have the time to participate much here anymore, I'm still here, in the shadows...and sometimes, under fluorescent lighting.

My first newsboy. I ordered it from Brett Stiles (B! Wear Cap Co.). By the way, I decided on him, based on research via this great forum. I love the cap, and have already ordered another. :)

Hey there, Mustang - nice B! Wear - it suits you perfectly. Well done!!

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
Hey Blackthorn, hope you got the information that you need. Lots of resources around here. If all else fails you can opt for a vintage cap, of which I have many for sale. Just PM me if that's the case.

Richard, both those caps are terrific but I really love the one that Manfred passed on to you! I like the slightly fuller cut than I'm used to seeing on you – it really suits!

Correct me if I am wrong here Keith, but it seems a little blunt taking biz away from the true cap makers JC and Barry that have worked really hard to establish their name and the hard road they have traveled to bring us their beautiful work that they do for someone too come in and tell an newcomer about their own hobby cap making and reselling of vintage caps,,not to be rude in anyway and your caps that you sell are true vintage and real nice but still dude...it is more about me with some extra time on my hands tonight and getting to sit here on the other end of my comp and reading some of the older threads and post that it seems obvious that you and Damian should really just move to the Merchants and compete the proper way not in the cap faction where they have both been moved from,,wish you both well and hope everyone feels the same,, May God bless yall Journey,,[angel]

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Thanks(?) for your post, babygirl. Perhaps you missed my wording: "...Should all else fail." Blackthorn was asking about options, and my offer was just expanding his possibilities. I don't think there is a person who follows this thread who doesn't see how supportive and enthusiastic I am of both Johnny and of Barry's excellent work. I own several of each maker's handiwork and have pointed several people their way for business.

I have never posted a cap I've made to sell in this forum, merely a few vintage ones. In fact only a few weeks ago Johnny posted some vintage caps here for sale as well. I haven't felt that anyone was pushing hard to sell on this thread and that most are appreciative of seeing what's out there and offered.

it is more about me with some extra time on my hands tonight

That may be more to the point, it is more about you. Nevertheless, I won't post anything relating to sales on this forum again.

Signed, "[angel]" - the passive/aggressive angel

Last edited:
Don't be silly. It's perfectly reasonable to link to stuff you have down in the classifieds. People who might otherwise be interested in both the caps and in buying them might not see them down there. (This may change as you become more and more a dedicated seller of caps, rather than a mover-on of excess collection pieces.)

Nevertheless, I won't post anything relating to sales on this forum again.

Signed, "[angel]" - the passive/aggressive angel

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Correct me if I am wrong here Keith

I know you addressed Keith, but that won't keep me from telling you: "Yes, you probably couldn't be more wrong!"

It seems, you haven't quite understood the concept of TFL. It's impossible for me to see, that Keith has done anything wrong here. Do a little more reading, and you'll see, how JC and Barry got into the bussiness.

Best case, you are just pretty poorly informed, but it's quite hard not to see your comment as rude ... even if you claim it to be unintentional.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Not that what I think has any weight, but I didn't take mentioning the hats Stuffsmith for sale as being out of place in anyway.

I think that if it shouldn't be done, the folks charged with that responsibility should be the ones to mention it.

DamianM

Vendor
Correct me if I am wrong here Keith, but it seems a little blunt taking biz away from the true cap makers JC and Barry that have worked really hard to establish their name and the hard road they have traveled to bring us their beautiful work that they do for someone too come in and tell an newcomer about their own hobby cap making and reselling of vintage caps,,not to be rude in anyway and your caps that you sell are true vintage and real nice but still dude...it is more about me with some extra time on my hands tonight and getting to sit here on the other end of my comp and reading some of the older threads and post that it seems obvious that you and Damian should really just move to the Merchants and compete the proper way not in the cap faction where they have both been moved from,,wish you both well and hope everyone feels the same,, May God bless yall Journey,,[angel]
To Babygirl,
I've personally met JC. I admire and respect his work but never copied his work. I hope for him the best. Then he knew I was doing this eventually.
And I try not to display here or advertise much on the FL. Because Im making my own audience here in LA.
Some will like his work better then mine, and vice versa.

BTW I'm a collector more then a merchant.
I got into selling things because of my passion for the art of the pieces and because I could find them in the fabrics I wanted.
So I Don't just sell caps I make AND neckties made in the same manner as the 20s-30s , I collect caps, 20s-30s suits, hundreds of neckties( all 1920s-1930s), shoes, and other pieces from the 1920s-30s. Don't forget about my furniture, lights, rugs and artwork.

Keith did nothing wrong and no one is stealing from anybody

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
This cap feels like a 1930's somehow, but it may be earlier. Really nice mustard/black/cream tweed. And no, it's not for sale. ;)
mustard_tweed-1.jpg mustard_tweed-2.jpg mustard_tweed-3.jpg mustard_tweed-4.jpg mustard_tweed-5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112