Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Ole,
sounds like you have the Beat ! that's catchy !!!!! kids do love the Blues

Thanks. Oh yes, we kids love the blues! lol

Blackthorn: You're absolutely right! The cap is really getting back into the Euro-streets these years. Lots of 8-panels, but most are more streamlined than the typical 20s-50s cap. In CPH Cityhall we even have a young politician, who's never seen without his cap - even on the rostrum and in interviews and debates in indoor TV-studios :)

Fantastic pics as always, Che! I'll be the first dedicated buyer of "Sonny Boy Moco's" first album. A bluesy version of "So come on, come on. And do the Moco-motion with me" ... simply can't wait! :D

Sorry to go off topic, but not only does TheDane put me to mind of Sonny Boy Williamson, but also here in Birmingham there is a mojo/hoodoo shop called Sonny Boy. They have been manufacturing and selling "spiritual products" since back in the '30s. It's a pretty neat place, and where to go around here if you need a "mojo hand". (I'm a big Lightning Hopkins fan, too)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
I can't get 'Muddy Waters - Folk Singer' off of my stereo. His only acoustic trio ever, with Willie Dixon on bull fiddle. Amazing.

I'm restoring and resizing this NOS beauty cotton 8 panel. The sweat is just a crackled mess, so will give it a new one and get it on my lid. Of course, my quality control guy helps me out.

cotton-1.jpg cotton-2.jpg cotton-3.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Haha ... the reason there's a "Last edited ..." in that post of mine is that I changed my error: "Sonny Boy Mojo's" to what I really meant: "Sonny Boy Moco's" ;)

Anyway, I'm a great fan of both Lightning and Muddy Waters. Of Sonny Boy Williamson's I'm absolutely most fan of the first - not Rice Miller (mainly known from the 60s' Folk Revival) who also called himself Sonny Boy Williamson. I remember, he was very good when you were about half as stoned as he was - which probably was about 1/10 of how stoned he sounded :)

Like I'm much more into old-time than bluegrass, I'm also more into "stoneage" delta-blues and "roots/blues/guitar-rags". Blind Blake, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee and a lot more. Here's a small piece of 1928 "gansta-rap" with The Memphis Jug Band:

[video=youtube;m3glET0vebQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3glET0vebQ[/video]

Enjoy ... the hats too :cool:

Good one Dane! Thanks for sharing that. Good tunes for drinking something out of a jug.

Nice work Keith, or shall I call you Dr. Capenstein? Cool one to bring back to life.

ma5u2yry.jpg

Here's some "Sonny Boy" mojo

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Oh yes, we kids love the blues! lol

Blackthorn: You're absolutely right! The cap is really getting back into the Euro-streets these years. Lots of 8-panels, but most are more streamlined than the typical 20s-50s cap. In CPH Cityhall we even have a young politician, who's never seen without his cap - even on the rostrum and in interviews and debates in indoor TV-studios :)

Very interesting, Dane. :)

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Dale, glad you've got your own bottle! Looks like that stuff has been around forever - great packaging.

Ole, LOVED the video! Great stuff, and I totally agree about the older, gutbucket blues. Revenant Records and Dust to Digital are remastering the most amazing and obscure music imaginable.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting, Dane. :)

The last time I passed our old legendary hat shop Petitgas (est. 1857 and the place H.C. Andersen bought his toppers), there were only three fedoras on display in the window. The rest was caps ... Borsalino, Stetson, City Sport and Wiggins. In the shop he also has Borsalino, Stetson and Mayser fedoras, but it's obviously caps that are selling.

If you ever get to Copenhagen, it's absolutely worth a visit. Maybe not as a hat shop, but a historical relic. Today, the shop is quite small, but not much interior has changed since Francois Petitgas had around 160 hatters working and living around the entire house. A very small article on the shop's new owner. A Norwegian fellow lounger wrote a small note on the shop here. The shop has a website, but it's just a poorly made "calling card".

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Ole, LOVED the video! Great stuff, and I totally agree about the older, gutbucket blues. Revenant Records and Dust to Digital are remastering the most amazing and obscure music imaginable.

Thanks, I had more than two densely packed shelve-meters of old Folkways Records - old-time, blues and roots. They all got nicked during a breakin many years ago. The idiot, that stole them, probably dumped them somewhere. Who in Copenhagen would buy LPs like that? (Retoric ... I guess, I know them all six!) :eusa_doh:

Dale: Wonderful mojo. Does it work? :)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The last time I passed our old legendary hat shop Petitgas (est. 1857 and the place H.C. Andersen bought his toppers), there were only three fedoras on display in the window. The rest was caps ... Borsalino, Stetson, City Sport and Wiggins. In the shop he also has Borsalino, Stetson and Mayser fedoras, but it's obviously caps that are selling.

If you ever get to Copenhagen, it's absolutely worth a visit. Maybe not as a hat shop, but a historical relic. Today, the shop is quite small, but not much interior has changed since Francois Petitgas had around 160 hatters working and living around the entire house. A very small article on the shop's new owner. A Norwegian fellow lounger wrote a small note on the shop here. The shop has a website, but it's just a poorly made "calling card".
Thanks Dane, I love getting recommendations like this. I love to travel, so I may indeed end up there some day. I hope to!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Got My MoJo workin guys.....
I love the Blues & Caps they do go hand in hand very well.....
Moco workin his Mojo as well......
Thanks

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
I've finished replacing the sweatband (I even retained the original tag!). Black cotton tape with my '20's moiré grosgrain. Perfect for the hot weather! I like it with my 1910 gutta-percha specs...

cotton-8-panel-1.jpg cotton-8-panel-2.jpg cotton-8-panel-3.jpg cotton-8-panel-4.jpg cotton-8-panel-5.jpg cotton-8-panel-6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points