Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Just wearing my favorite old early 2000s target cap today

Attachments

• 20220801_175458.jpg
    20220801_175458.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

Granville

One of the Regulars
Haven't had anything to post for awhile, been wearing my white linen cap all summer, and a couple of beat-up straws at the beach and doing yard work. BUT I've been watching a houndstooth cap on Posh for months, just sitting there, but who needs a wool cap in summer? Seller reached out and offered a discount on the already very cheap price so I bit the bullet. I'll be curious vis-a-vis the true colors when it arrives, and send some pics "on the head" as well.
I should add my hat journey started about a year ago when I started looking to replace my black and white herringbone cap which I've worn for twenty years (it replaced a similar herringbone cap that I first started wearing in the 80's). I never found a good cap, so had the old one dry cleaned. I then tried getting a tweed "walking hat" from Hana Hats, but it was a formless piece of crap so I sent it back. I then bought a couple of new "hard shell" wool hats, a trilby and a homburg, followed by a crushable fedora for the rain (I was afraid a real downpour would take the starch out of the trilby and ruin it). Finally, I discovered this forum and through the winter and spring I picked up an additional five vintage fur-felt numbers (via Etsy, Poshmark, and, of course, the bay). All were less expensive than the new wool hats, so a relatively inexpensive little collection.
Anyway, I'm happy to add this colorful number to my wardrobe.
houndstoothcap.jpg

...I've been watching a houndstooth cap on Posh for months, just sitting there, but who needs a wool cap in summer?...
First, that looks like a very nice cap. Second, I have more than a few Irish tweed caps (i.e., wool) and I find them quite comfortable even in temperatures approaching 100°F (38°C) with some humidity. And since it sounds like you got it for a reasonable price, I say nicely done!

Granville

One of the Regulars
The new cap arrived. Kinda smelly, and the cloth sweat in the front is pretty dark, so I'll be bringing it to the dry cleaner in the morning. The front was stitched to the brim (no snap), but the thread was coming loose/half off so I undid it. Maybe I'll sew it back after the dry cleaning; I'll wear it without a bit and see how I like it. Another interesting feature is the vents under the brim -- never had a cap with these before. As I expected, the cap is brighter in color than the seller's pic, and really perks up in good light. Very colorful, an overall gold tone, with several shades of brown, russet, and even some blue/green threads. No tears or moth damage, nor any worn away spots/edges, although it is clearly well worn judging from the soiled sweat and discolored plastic/celluloid tip. Additionally, I was surprised to see after removing the stitches that the color under the flap is the same as on top, i.e., no fading. It's a cloudy day here, but in the pics I took you'll see a difference in the various light.
All in all, for fourteen bucks, I'm pretty happy.
StraightOnHeadShotsideways.jpeg
Color in the light shows gold tones.
Brim.jpeg

vents.jpeg

TopShotOnTheHeadsideways.jpg
UpFlapsideways.jpeg
cu.jpeg

Last edited:

Granville

One of the Regulars
RE: sewing down the front, I won't. wearing it 'loose' just sitting on the head is fine, with the front naturally laying on the visor, but in the wind you need to be able to jam it on your head, and that means letting the flap pop up. As on old friend once explained, it may look stupid to wear it that way, but you look much, much stupider chasing your hat down the street. And after all, if Bob Dylan thinks it's cool, it's cool.
BobbyD.jpg

dkstott

Practically Family
Morning breakfast at the local shop & wearing my "good " newsboy cap.

Its a light grey in color, but tends to take on hints of blue when its in the shade.

It doesn't get a lot of head time, simply because it tends to show dirt and hand oil very easily.

The label says its a mix of Meroni, Cashmere and Alpaca wool. Its very soft & light to wear. 20220825_092419.jpg
20220825_092419.jpg
20220825_095128.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko