Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Captain's (Jürgen Prochnow) Sweater in the film "Das Boot" search

jcook89

New in Town
Hello,

Just discovered this forum several weeks back, and the timing couldn't be better considering the trouble I've had in finding a particular clothing article from the 1940's.

I'm sure that many of you are familiar with Wolfgang Petersen's “Das Boot.” What I've been specifically looking for is the unnamed Captain's (played by Jürgen Prochnow) black, half-zip, sweater that he can be seen wearing throughout the film.

If anybody has any information regarding where I can find a replica, or even something similar, it would be much appreciated.

Here are some visual examples from the movie (Captain is identifiable as the man with the beard, and suspenders):

image3_1280230405.jpg

image3_1220037290.jpg

1668560,+wriAlIJ19davfGDvXzlIufQWkKiLVaABmjAIxDq6vwCpzdB7gSn3YZw+bRYHkEGwyQHkgDu163xeErIJvHxhA==.jpg

For some reason I couldn't get ImageShack images to work here, so these screenshots are not by own. If somebody would like me to produce several more, I can figure out what I'm doing wrong and take my own screenshots.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

I have one, but there are no actual 'replicas' that are specifically made for this. I stumbled across one in a Salvation Army store. I don't have it with me as it needs to be washed otherwise I'd give you the label information. This is the second one that I've managed to own. I owned another several years ago which was also bought discount, but I outgrew it.

When I can - I will PM you information if it may be of help (I'd have to look at the tag again).

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I went back and checked the tag and there wasn't anything on it but the cleaning instructions. The next best thing I can think would be to do a Google Image search under "navy blue zip neck sweaters" or "navy blue zipper neck sweaters" - and see what you come up with.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Check Levi's RED TAB brand, they make a ribbed long sleeved sweater with a zip-up turtleneck. I know they do, I'm wearing a navy blue (doh!) one right now.

Last edited:

jcook89

New in Town
Thanks for the tip.

I scoured around a bit, but the closest thing I found to "levi red tab sweater" was this:

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2011/01/16/levi’s-red-tab-spring-ls-sweater/

Do you know of a visual example somewhere?

UPDATE:

Found what I'm pretty sure you were describing on eBay. It's very similar indeed.

I'm going to continue to keep my eyes open for this item, and if anybody else happens upon anything, please let me know.

Thanks for the help so far by the way, I'm definitely in the right place to ask such a question.

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
UPDATE:

Found what I'm pretty sure you were describing on eBay. It's very similar indeed.

I'm going to continue to keep my eyes open for this item, and if anybody else happens upon anything, please let me know.

Thanks for the help so far by the way, I'm definitely in the right place to ask such a question.

Short of taking a pic of myself (don't hold your breath, running around like a nut today) you can send me the ebay auction numbers by PM for confirmation. This has red piping around the collar perimeter, viz the grey piping along the zipper that der Kapitan is wearing.

jcook89

New in Town
Hi all,

Apologies for the delayed response. I promised I'd keep everybody updated though.

Found a RED TAB half-zip sweater with light blue lining on the collar. It was a small investment, and is being sent here as we speak. Thanks for the info, Story.

Fitzcarraldo - Wow. Great find. Interesting note about the timing of the shirt purchase with the release of the directors cut. Coincidence? Replica (doesn't look exactly like it)?

Thanks for the input everybody. I'll continue to drop by in this space, so please let me know if you happen upon something again. Cheers.

Fitzcarraldo

New in Town
Hi all,

Apologies for the delayed response. I promised I'd keep everybody updated though.

Found a RED TAB half-zip sweater with light blue lining on the collar. It was a small investment, and is being sent here as we speak. Thanks for the info, Story.

Fitzcarraldo - Wow. Great find. Interesting note about the timing of the shirt purchase with the release of the directors cut. Coincidence? Replica (doesn't look exactly like it)?

Thanks for the input everybody. I'll continue to drop by in this space, so please let me know if you happen upon something again. Cheers.

Im from Spain and i can remember that i could buy my sweather (tought cotton 100 per cent) in a store called ¨Springfield¨ that its propiety of Zara in 1997 aprox (before arriving of dvd). About Zara, Sprinfield etc that companies uses to copy the style of box office success films in his news collections. Examples?: the long black coat of matrix, the leather jacket of Indiana Jones (his version, of course) etc..

http://spf.com/?gclid=CJegma-U8aYCFdsU3godjzkYDA

An example (they have two colors: grey and dark blue).

http://spf.com/es/tienda/productos/canale-cashmere

http://www.thisnext.com/show/item-images/4E077D1D/AF15C222/

http://www.thisnext.com/show/item-images/DBA7DE6B/2310DCA3/

Search ¨half-zip¨ pullover/sweater.

Last edited:

Johnny Dollar

New in Town
Check Levi's RED TAB brand, they make a ribbed long sleeved sweater with a zip-up turtleneck. I know they do, I'm wearing a navy blue (doh!) one right now.

i got one of these off of ebay yesterday, 2XL, it should arrive soon. finding the correct hat is more of a challenge; there are many captain's hats repros out there but way fewer lieutenants'.

Story

I'll Lock Up
A Reproduction of the captains sweater "Das Boot" is available from outdoorknitwear.com in their Niffi nautical range

65 Pounds Sterling ! but apparently out of stock.

http://www.outdoorknitwear.com/store/product.php?product=84
Quarter zip seaman’s sweater "Das Boot" - 41029
A quarter zip seaman’s sweater inspired by the submarine film “Das boot”
Priced from £64.95 inc vat (€78.46 Approx.)
Unavailable
http://www.outdoorknitwear.com/store/category.php?category=23

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up

Belatedly, glad to have been of assistance.

i got one of these off of ebay yesterday, 2XL, it should arrive soon. finding the correct hat is more of a challenge; there are many captain's hats repros out there but way fewer lieutenants'.

To get the right 'finish' you'd have to drive around for the entire month of August sitting on it, with the A/C off and the windows up.

keith

New in Town
checked the OUTDOORKNITWEAR website and they have the following message regarding availablity of the sweater

VIEW OUR NEW RANGE OF 'NIFFI NAUTICAL' GARMENTS WHICH WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM 5th MARCH

The range includes the 'DAS BOOT' submariners sweater

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Thank You - now I know where I can get another should the one I have become too small for me. :)

checked the OUTDOORKNITWEAR website and they have the following message regarding availablity of the sweater

VIEW OUR NEW RANGE OF 'NIFFI NAUTICAL' GARMENTS WHICH WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM 5th MARCH

The range includes the 'DAS BOOT' submariners sweater

53Effie

A-List Customer
Just received the Outdoor Knitwear sweater and I am very happy with it. Fit for me is just right based on their sizing guide. Really nice product. Guess I will have to try one of their "wooly pullies" soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW