Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry, I hope he hasn't cut the brim on the nutria , your making a mistake buddy. Call or I'll call you. Kingrat

Hey there buddy! I tried calling you the other day but I didn't get an answer. I left you a message on your answering machine. Anyway, there's some issues going on with the brim and there's really not another option. Cutting the brim down is what I wanted.

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I won't be cutting this brim down but rather have it reblocked with a taller crown instead of the wide brim (31/4) and very low crown (31/4)as it came. Hopefully it will work out and still have 2 1/2 in the brim when it's finished. Nice weave overall. To be continued...

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Hey there buddy! I tried calling you the other day but I didn't get an answer. I left you a message on your answering machine. Anyway, there's some issues going on with the brim and there's really not another option. Cutting the brim down is what I wanted.

I don't see nothing wrong with it but it's your hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I don't see nothing wrong with it but it's your hat.

Yup. Thanks buddy. You're right. My hat. ;) There's an issue with the brim that doesn't show up in the pictures. John and I discussed it and he's going to work around that in a couple ways, cutting it down, per my request, for one. But, it wouldn't have made difference anyway had the brim been fine. I wanted a nutria fedora. If I wanted a nutria western I would have it left that way, but, with the brim issue it has, (had), that wouldn't have been likely. One thing for sure though, as John said, it's going to have new life as a fedora and get plenty of wear time instead of being stashed away in the back of a closet. John's going to send it to me open crowned, so I can crease it myself and sew on a ribbon once I decide what kind and color of ribbon I'm going to put on it. I'm kind of leaning toward a silverbelly, (natural), mid-ribbon. The brim width will be 2 3/4 flanged with a fedora curl. John G's doing a great job on it. I really like the way it's looking. :)

Landman

One Too Many
TJ, that is going to be a great looking hat! Was it a Stetson Nutria? Do you have any pictures of the old sweatband and liner? The old Stetson Nutria's always had such beautiful liners and sweatbands. I wish I could find an old Nutria in my size but 7 1/2's are pretty scarce. I do have a new Nutria hat that Art Fawcett made for me. A great hat.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
TJ, you will love the Nutria felt.
Don't know the brim width on yours but still a pitty to trim it. Mine have some head time, if it had more brim, more head time it would have.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I never met a real cowboy, but I'm told, that cutting the precious nuts of a prize bull is part of his job. I wouldn't expect, cutting 1/4" of his hat-brim should pose a problem to his morals or courage. A rhinestone cowboy on the other hand ... well, that may be a very different story(?) ;)

After all, it's just a hat - and it hasn't been close to museum-standard for many years. Do whatever will bring the hat the most head-time :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Landman, Thanks buddy. Yes. It's a Stetson nutria. John G. is going to send me the original sweat along with the hat. It was actually John's hat to start with. If I recall, I think he told me that the liner was missing when he got it. I would imagine for you, if you found a vintage Stetson nutria in your 7 1/2 size, that the price for that would be quite expensive.

Joao, that's going to be my first nutria so I'm excited about getting it. Everyone who has one say they really like that felt.

I want to give a special thanks to John Galt, Ole, and kingrat, for all their help and generosity. Those are three good guys who are willing to jump in help people.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I never met a real cowboy, but I'm told, that cutting the precious nuts of a prize bull is part of his job. I wouldn't expect, cutting 1/4" of his hat-brim should pose a problem to his morals or courage. A rhinestone cowboy on the other hand ... well, that may be a very different story(?) ;)

After all, it's just a hat - and it hasn't been close to museum-standard for many years. Do whatever will bring the hat the most head-time :)

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! That was good! lol Thanks buddy.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Mike: Yeah, the "prize" word was such a nice tightening of the dramaturgy, but of course you're absolutely right. Just proves, I'm a total western-life-ignorant lol

Apart from that "detail" I still stand on the substantial point of the libretto ;)

John Galt

Vendor
Regarding TJ's Nutria Quality, his hat, his choice. There was indeed a weak spot in the brim that mitigates somewhat towards conversion. It did not have a liner when I bought it.

I did just buy one that's nearly identical to replace the one I gave TJ. I tend to hoard Nutrias for myself, but I might be persuaded...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Regarding TJ's Nutria Quality, his hat, his choice. There was indeed a weak spot in the brim that mitigates somewhat towards conversion. It did not have a liner when I bought it.

I did just buy one that's nearly identical to replace the one I gave TJ. I tend to hoard Nutrias for myself, but I might be persuaded...

Wow. I'm going to have start taking a harder look at nutrias. This will be my first one. All you guys who have nutrias swear by them. It's making me more anxious to get it now. Can't wait! Thanks John!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
You're a collector of Westerns. but...you know, snip, snip that brim! ;) :D
:(

Wow. I'm going to have start taking a harder look at nutrias. This will be my first one. All you guys who have nutrias swear by them. It's making me more anxious to get it now. Can't wait! Thanks John!
I would also swear by 7XCB.

There was indeed a weak spot in the brim that mitigates somewhat towards conversion.
What do you call a weak spot?

Hmmmm.... you know I like them also but want one with a bigger brim than mines...

John Galt

Vendor
Weak spot here refers to a spot that had been handled & bent a lot by the prior owner, and was structurally compromised. The hat body is made of tough, but pretty thin felt, with a weight similar to a Stratoliner. Ironing, stiffener, and rotating on the block would help, but wouldn't have totally resolved it, I believe.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recent homburg conversion. Gave this one a complete redo with new ribbons wind cord and sweatband. Also sized it up from a 7 1/4 to a 7 1/2. Man do I love the felt on these old hommies .

John Galt

Vendor
Bond, I cannot be alone in noticing that the stitching on your brim trimming has noticeably improved with experience. You should be proud. Well done, sir! I agree with you regarding the felt on the old hommies. I have a couple saved up to do the same thing with, but my machine sewing skills are lacking, and I haven't had time for the hand stitching...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats