Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you guys for the comments.
JG thanks for noticing my efforts and I know you can appreciate what goes into putting a ribbon or a binding on to a hat, but having good quality vintage ribbons in the right colors are the other half of the job in its self.
Cheers

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bond, I cannot be alone in noticing that the stitching on your brim trimming has noticeably improved with experience. You should be proud. Well done, sir! I agree with you regarding the felt on the old hommies. I have a couple saved up to do the same thing with, but my machine sewing skills are lacking, and I haven't had time for the hand stitching...
+1 The stitching on that brim trimming does look nice bond.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This a new one I just finished for myself. Dress wt beaver in camel with rust orange ribbon in Playboy style. A lot of taper in the crown to this one made it tricky putting in the sweat also so I ended up cutting it down to 1 1/2.
I tried a new method of washing the felt out and then over sizing it on the block to dry before hand shaping the final shape while the felt was wet. Worked well as I set it out in the warm sun to dry it shrunk up to size.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I like the color combo on that bond. It really pops.

This is one of the Resistol Stagecoaches I "Horse Traded" for the other day. I switched out the crease on this one to a Center Dent and, believe it, or not, I lowered the crown too. The open crown on this thing is 6 1/2 inches tall! I took it down to 5 inches tall at the crease. There's just so much hat material to move that the lower I took the crown, the more it wanted to taper. So, I left it at 5 inches. I also switched out the original horse hair hat band for this vintage brown mid-ribbon. I finished it off with a western style bow, similar to an OR bow....

Resistol_S_Coach_02.jpg

Resistol_S_Coach_03.jpg

Resistol_S_Coach_04.jpg

Resistol_S_Coach_05.jpg

Resistol_S_Coach_01.jpg

Before:

Resistol_Vintage_02.jpg

Attachments

• Resistol_Vintage_02.jpg
    Resistol_Vintage_02.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 147

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
RJR, Joao, Harv, dh66, DOGMAN, gtdean, Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments.

DOGMAN, I'm tossing around the idea of leaving it Western. I like really like the shape of the brim. I have to do something with the crown though. Typical of Stagecoaches, it has a very tall and tapered crown at 6 1/2 inches, (open crown). I'd like to re-block it with straight sides, open crowned, at under 6 inches tall, around 5 5/8 to 5 3/4 (?) There's just a whole lot of hat material to move around for me to crease it to where I want it, especially with it being a tapered block already. Since I don't have the blocks to work with I may have to send this one to John Galt and have him re-block it for me, (then I'll have more brim)! Joao would be envious!

gtdean, Ha! Oh yeah! That is a serious trough! I guess I could always tilt my head back when it fills up! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany