Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My favorites of your's are the dark brown, thin ribbon & the rust brown mid-ribbon but the overall lines are great on all of them.
Thank you, HJ. They're both nice hats and I enjoy wearing them. The one I wear the most is the Silverbelly Stagecoach with the 3 1/2 brim. I appreciate your comments.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry, I admire your hat-work! I also like the fact, that you find relatively cheap hats and turn them into the hats, you really enjoy to wear - having lots of fun in the process.

I'm from a whole other continent, and to me cowboys are just "some foreign cattle herders". I feel a lot closer related to sailors and fishermen, so I have no nostalgic or romantic feelings for cowboy-life or -wear. It would be extremely exotic for me to wear a cowboy hat in CPH, so I would also convert a western - or dump it at a thrift shop. As long as it's "just" a production hat, I definitely wouldn't mind turning it into something more wearable.

Keep up the great work, Buddy! :)
Thank you Ole. It's always a pleasure to hear from you. I learned a lot from you and you were always a big help when I had questions.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
This hat started out as a 3x Resistol 70's-80's made. My intent for it was to make a SpanAm War style campaign hat hence the snowflake vents and 3" brim. To this day I still have not been able to find a tan hat in my size to try at another campaign hat. Since it was my first conversion it didn't turn out too well so it sat in storage for a couple of years. Well I got bored and decided to do something new to it. I stripped off the first ribbon and reblocked it. After it dried and set I steamed it up and put in a montana peak crease and added a new ribbon. I must say I'm happier with it now. It'll probably be my camping/working beater for cooler weather.
OOLis3s.jpg

yE4Bqgb.jpg

WKxhJgP.jpg

RJR

This hat started out as a 3x Resistol 70's-80's made. My intent for it was to make a SpanAm War style campaign hat hence the snowflake vents and 3" brim. To this day I still have not been able to find a tan hat in my size to try at another campaign hat. Since it was my first conversion it didn't turn out too well so it sat in storage for a couple of years. Well I got bored and decided to do something new to it. I stripped off the first ribbon and reblocked it. After it dried and set I steamed it up and put in a montana peak crease and added a new ribbon. I must say I'm happier with it now. It'll probably be my camping/working beater for cooler weather.
OOLis3s.jpg

yE4Bqgb.jpg

WKxhJgP.jpg
I like it,nice work.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Well, I finally finished my latest semi-conversion of my dark brown Stagecoach. Some days I'm happy with the hat but sometimes I want to do something else. The future will tell what I decide. I am happy with my work and how it turned out but I am sometimes ambivilent about what I want to own.
aM1CfEu.jpg

RNEyJVj.jpg

wMAZspF.jpg

RJR

Well, I finally finished my latest semi-conversion of my dark brown Stagecoach. Some days I'm happy with the hat but sometimes I want to do something else. The future will tell what I decide. I am happy with my work and how it turned out but I am sometimes ambivilent about what I want to own.
aM1CfEu.jpg

RNEyJVj.jpg

wMAZspF.jpg
It looks good to me.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could create a Homburg/Lord's Hat type curl without having a flange made for that style? (Unless someone here has a Homburg flange and will flange it for me). ;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could create a Homburg/Lord's Hat type curl without having a flange made for that style? (Unless someone here has a Homburg flange and will flange it for me). ;)

With a lot of practice you can do it with just a curling iron and curved surface. I've never been happy with my own results but there are hatters out there that can do it

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Akubra sells a Homburg (soft crown), and a Derby (Bowler)(Helmet Crown) , boy I'd hate to do that to that Nice Stagecoach . I'm with Joao , it looks too good .

aM1CfEu.jpg

RNEyJVj.jpg

wMAZspF.jpg

Mike at NorthWest Hats in Eugene has done a really nice pencil roll for me on a conversion. He did a great job. I wanted it curled with a raw brim but as my home dye job did not go all the way through the felt when he cut the brim down I had an Oreo cookie dyed brim. He bound it for me to hide the white core and did a fabulous job.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recently completed this vintage Resistol for a lounger . He wanted a larger size, new vintage ribbons added plus a sweatband and a brim trim ever so slightly.This is a 7x beaver model and felt is quite nice. Actually happened to have very close to original color ribbons and in nearly the same size or widths.
Before and after pics
View attachment 53099 View attachment 53100 View attachment 53101 View attachment 53102

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Recently completed this vintage Resistol for a lounger . He wanted a larger size, new vintage ribbons added plus a sweatband and a brim trim ever so slightly.This is a 7x beaver model and felt is quite nice. Actually happened to have very close to original color ribbons and in nearly the same size or widths.
Before and after pics
View attachment 53099 View attachment 53100 View attachment 53101 View attachment 53102

bond , I can't get the attachments to show . It could be temporary , never know .

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner