Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1950s Borsalino wide brim restoration. This one was as close to being worn out as it gets. Had a cattlemans crease and was wearing thin at the front pinch so I added a piece of silk inside crown at front and rear where it had a deep crease previously. The hat had been serviced at some point in its life as the original sweat was long gone and someone had glued the liner in place and must of used a paint brush cause there's a trail of glue through out the interior. Measured out at a 7 1/8 but since it had a 6" crown and a 3" brim I managed to bump it up to fit to 7 1/2 and still maintained the ht and brim to 2 7/8.
The worse part for me was losing the silk ribbon which deteriorated badly, fortunately I had one piece of ribbon in 3/8 in a similar color and just had enough to duplicate the same style while covering up the severe fade underneath the old ribbon . I really like this color felt and style and am pleased that it all came together to save this one.
Hope you all like it as much as I do
IMG_7037.JPG
IMG_7044.JPG
IMG_7041.JPG
IMG_7058.JPG
IMG_7065.JPG
IMG_7063.JPG
IMG_7079.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
1950s Borsalino wide brim restoration. This one was as close to being worn out as it gets. Had a cattlemans crease and was wearing thin at the front pinch so I added a piece of silk inside crown at front and rear where it had a deep crease previously. The hat had been serviced at some point in its life as the original sweat was long gone and someone had glued the liner in place and must of used a paint brush cause there's a trail of glue through out the interior. Measured out at a 7 1/8 but since it had a 6" crown and a 3" brim I managed to bump it up to fit to 7 1/2 and still maintained the ht and brim to 2 7/8.
The worse part for me was losing the silk ribbon which deteriorated badly, fortunately I had one piece of ribbon in 3/8 in a similar color and just had enough to duplicate the same style while covering up the severe fade underneath the old ribbon . I really like this color felt and style and am pleased that it all came together to save this one.
Hope you all like it as much as I do View attachment 64251 View attachment 64252 View attachment 64253 View attachment 64256 View attachment 64257 View attachment 64258 View attachment 64261

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So nice.

Scooterz

Practically Family
Any tips on hats to look for to convert? I know the more x's and the older the more likely better. I am curious on some of the cheaper hats I can find, its really hard to tell if they are all wool or have some fur and some look like fairly recent manufacture. If I wind up with a 100 percent wool hat by taking a chance on some cheap ones is it still possible to come out with a decent looking conversion? Are recent stetson open roads with a cattleman's crease likely to be pointless to try to convert or not? Thanks.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Any tips on hats to look for to convert? I know the more x's and the older the more likely better. I am curious on some of the cheaper hats I can find, its really hard to tell if they are all wool or have some fur and some look like fairly recent manufacture. If I wind up with a 100 percent wool hat by taking a chance on some cheap ones is it still possible to come out with a decent looking conversion? Are recent stetson open roads with a cattleman's crease likely to be pointless to try to convert or not? Thanks.
I've did about 25 conversions a couple of them were wool they turned out pretty good.Fur felt is better.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

If you want a lot of crown in a fedora for a conversion, cruise eBay and find a clean vintage western hat.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
If you get an OR, I wouldn't say there's much converting yo be done. The brims are under 3 inches. Maybe a rebash into a diamond crease or something if you want, but the crowns on recent ones are very, very stiff.
Try thrifting, find something cheap to do a practice run on. If you feel confident enough, maybe seel out a Stagecoach or something.
Although I never personally seek out western hats to convert. I seek out fedoras, and when a western hat falls into my hands, I personalize it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You shouldn't be too concerned about the quality for your first conversion(s). The goal should be to learn while having fun ... not to reach a fine, good looking result. When you have learned to restore a hat, you should go for better quality. And yes, it'll cost you some not too satisfying results at first - like in any other learning process.

I would say like Woody Guthrie: "Take it easy - but take it". It's a wonderful hobby ;)

Scooterz

Practically Family
If you want a lot of crown in a fedora for a conversion, cruise eBay and find a clean vintage western hat.

I have not quite figured out crown heights, open vs what you wind up with. I don't like really tall crowns on me when I look in the mirror but I like them fine on other folks and in photos here. I assume to do a diamond bash without a lot of taper it takes more crown height to start with.

I have not quite figured out crown heights, open vs what you wind up with. I don't like really tall crowns on me when I look in the mirror but I like them fine on other folks and in photos here. I assume to do a diamond bash without a lot of taper it takes more crown height to start with.
Western weight is typical heavier than dress weight but some vintage westerns are lighter than their modern brethren. I look for older model Resistol or Stetson western hats that give me enough brim to trim & crown to crease. Look for vintage Adam & other lesser know western model...I have found a couple of unworn, open crown fur felt vintage that worked well converting to a fedora or outback. HTH

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Western weight is typical heavier than dress weight but some vintage westerns are lighter than their modern brethren. I look for older model Resistol or Stetson western hats that give me enough brim to trim & crown to crease. Look for vintage Adam & other lesser know western model...I have found a couple of unworn, open crown fur felt vintage that worked well converting to a fedora or outback. HTH
Yep..I agree. At times also some lesser desired name brand hats can be purchased far cheaper as well.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You shouldn't be too concerned about the quality for your first conversion(s). The goal should be to learn while having fun ... not to reach a fine, good looking result. When you have learned to restore a hat, you should go for better quality. And yes, it'll cost you some not too satisfying results at first - like in any other learning process.

I would say like Woody Guthrie: "Take it easy - but take it". It's a wonderful hobby ;)
Hey, Ole! Good to see you!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Not failing to mention, tools and material make the difference in any conversion. When I first started doing them I used a paint can with bubble wrap to block my first couple of hats. They came out fairly good but coming across an actual hat block was far better. I used a utility knife and a Stanley tape measure to cut my first brims, came out nice enough, but a rounding jack was much better and more accurate. I used to shape my 2 3/4 brims by hand, but coming across a 2 3/4 brim flange made a world of difference. Only problem is, I can only flange 2 3/4 brims. I definitely need more tools. I have nowhere near enough...social security and a part time warehouse job don't pay well. I hate old age.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
On another note, I did yet another rework on this Resistol 3X. I used Selleck's Quigley Down Under hat as inspiration. The brim came out good but I didn't care much for the crown after I saw a picture of Selleck's Crossfire Trail hat. So, another reblocking on the crown and afterward, another recreasing. I raised up the back of the crown and lowered the front pinch. Since I don't like a lot of taper in a crown I was careful not to get too extravagant on the Gus crease. I used the Crossfire crown for inspiration adding my own modifications. ..here it is for the third time. Still not sure about the ribbon, though.

Gus_Silverbelly_1.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_2.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_3.jpg

Gus_Silverbelly_5.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_6.jpg
Resistol_3_X_C.jpg
Resistol_3_X_D.jpg

Reworked and on the head...not a good picture, though
Gus_Silverbelly_9.jpg

It's all about the tools, or the Bass

RJR

On another note, I did yet another rework on this Resistol 3X. I used Selleck's Quigley Down Under hat as inspiration. The brim came out good but I didn't care much for the crown after I saw a picture of Selleck's Crossfire Trail hat. So, another reblocking on the crown and afterward, another recreasing. I raised up the back of the crown and lowered the front pinch. Since I don't like a lot of taper in a crown I was careful not to get too extravagant on the Gus crease. I used the Crossfire crown for inspiration adding my own modifications. ..here it is for the third time. Still not sure about the ribbon, though.

Gus_Silverbelly_1.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_2.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_3.jpg

Gus_Silverbelly_5.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_6.jpg
Resistol_3_X_C.jpg
Resistol_3_X_D.jpg

Reworked and on the head...not a good picture, though
Gus_Silverbelly_9.jpg

It's all about the tools, or the Bass
Its a unique look,I like it.

Forum statistics