Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
My first handmade block. I chose the flat top because I wanted to see if it would create a more square bash. Kind of like the campaign hats on "Hostiles".
b362fad850e1fe410a2719a78f2f72cb.jpg
10fbec52f4894603e02d4b6bd6d2c5d0.jpg
26417dfb0c853ca8507c9824891c8b4e.jpg

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Just got another Black Borsa that a fellow Lounger gifted me to refurb and size up! This is a 7 1/8 that's soon going to be reblocked and sized up to a 7 1/4. My plan is to reuse the original black ribbon and bow but that may or may not be possible with the size up. Anyway, I have a plan B for the ribbon, just in case. I have plenty enough brim to work with at 3 3/8 wide and the open crown on this puppy is 6 inches tall. I have plenty of hat to work with and it should make a nice refurb project after I get finished with it. I really like the brim edge treatment, too....

Black-Borsa-II-1.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-3.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-5.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-4.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-6.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-7.jpg

Google translate says "Caldo Grigio" is translated as "Warm Gray" in English.
I'm starting to wonder if Terry could be persuaded to become the US version of Max's Ignacio?

Very nice hat T. Can't wait to see your finished product.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

I had a similar thought. It would be great to have a service where I could have my internet hat purchases sent directly to a trusted hatter who could clean, reblock, replace sweats and ribbons, etc. as needed. The problem is the huge initial investment in blocks, flanges, machinery, etc. To have this make sense they would have to do a large volume or charge a fair bit.

Back to this hat, I bet Terry makes something special out of it with all that crown and brim to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm starting to wonder if Terry could be persuaded to become the US version of Max's Ignacio?

Very nice hat T. Can't wait to see your finished product.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2
Thank you, Ryan! If I had the $capital$ to invest into more tools and machinery I might be persuaded. As it is I'm very limited in what I have and everything I do is done by hand, which totally blows because it's slow and tedious. Someday, maybe. I just need the $$$ to invest!

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I had a similar thought. It would be great to have a service where I could have my internet hat purchases sent directly to a trusted hatter who could clean, reblock, replace sweats and ribbons, etc. as needed. The problem is the huge initial investment in blocks, flanges, machinery, etc. To have this make sense they would have to do a large volume or charge a fair bit.

Back to this hat, I bet Terry makes something special out of it with all that crown and brim to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you, Brent! You're absolutely right. I'd love to take up hat making and hat refurbishments but the money to invest into what I need just isn't there for me. I would need a variety of blocks and flanges in different sizes and so much more, including specialized machinery for sewing sweat bands and brim bindings which runs into a considerable amount of money. I need so much stuff to get started. But I would like to do it someday, though. Social Security and a meager LTD check each month just doesn't cut it at this point.

But yeah, I think this Borsa's going to make a fine refurb. I've come to appreciate black hats much more than I use to and it doesn't get any better than working on a Borsalino!

ruvort

One of the Regulars
My first handmade block. I chose the flat top because I wanted to see if it would create a more square bash. Kind of like the campaign hats on "Hostiles".
b362fad850e1fe410a2719a78f2f72cb.jpg
10fbec52f4894603e02d4b6bd6d2c5d0.jpg
26417dfb0c853ca8507c9824891c8b4e.jpg

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk
Would you be willing to share more about the process of creating it? Also any plans for the shape and size of the ovals would be very appreciated.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thank you, Brent! You're absolutely right. I'd love to take up hat making and hat refurbishments but the money to invest into what I need just isn't there for me. I would need a variety of blocks and flanges in different sizes and so much more, including specialized machinery for sewing sweat bands and brim bindings which runs into a considerable amount of money. I need so much stuff to get started. But I would like to do it someday, though. Social Security and a meager LTD check each month just doesn't cut it at this point.

But yeah, I think this Borsa's going to make a fine refurb. I've come to appreciate black hats much more than I use to and it doesn't get any better than working on a Borsalino!
Your talent dictates that you stay with it Terry. My grandmother used to tell me not to hide my light under a bushel. It took many years for me to figure out that all she was saying is that God given talents should be shared for the benefit of others. I also have to constantly remind myself of the old proverb, "The longest journey begins with a single step".

Of course, you could just cater to us 7 1/4 size folks. There are enough of us to keep you very busy. Maybe if we start sending you old, funky westerns to convert you could start building a hat block nest egg. Something to think about...

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Would you be willing to share more about the process of creating it? Also any plans for the shape and size of the ovals would be very appreciated.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I have a 2 inch high ironing block(2 roughed out oval 1x10 yellow pine pieces glue together) that I made to iron the brim/crown break line and to flatten the brim on my conversions. I got the shape for that by tracing my #51 hat block. I started to make the new block shape from that but switched to basing the shape on my HatShaper straight sided dome plastic block. Saying that, the shape is ultimately just done by eye and the block was just a test. I would have made it using the traditional way but I didn't have the wood to do it. After roughing out the shape I just glued the pieces together and once the glue dried I sanded it to the dimensions I had in mind. It ended it up measuring at 6 13/16 inches tall and 24 1/8 inches around.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Your talent dictates that you stay with it Terry. My grandmother used to tell me not to hide my light under a bushel. It took many years for me to figure out that all she was saying is that God given talents should be shared for the benefit of others. I also have to constantly remind myself of the old proverb, "The longest journey begins with a single step".
Thank you, Rick. Sounds like your Grandmother was well read and knew her Bible. I guess that's about the best advise anyone could give. I'll definitely follow it and let God do the rest.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Of course, you could just cater to us 7 1/4 size folks. There are enough of us to keep you very busy. Maybe if we start sending you old, funky westerns to convert you could start building a hat block nest egg. Something to think about...
Hmmmm....That would definitely be one way to buy more stuff that I need. I like the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo