Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
My newest conversion. Reblocked with a Hat Shaper. Please excuse the bad pictures.
cea4651c8b8fdf0129653207ff0bd9f4.jpg
5fb5a7698e52d4e6e99ee46df81aaaf5.jpg

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here’s a nice one I just converted from a homburg . It’s a vitafelt process Stetson from the 1940s . Was really dirty and in poor shape when I got it so I gave it a gas bath and removed the binding , had a few light moth nips and repaired those too.
Brim originally was 2 3/4 and I was able to keep it at that fortunately .
All else on the hat is fine and the felt does have a noticeably different hand to the felt which I was able to really see during the gas bath.
IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a nice one I just converted from a homburg . It’s a vitafelt process Stetson from the 1940s . Was really dirty and in poor shape when I got it so I gave it a gas bath and removed the binding , had a few light moth nips and repaired those too.
All else on the hat is fine and the felt does have a noticeably different hand to the felt which I was able to really see during the gas bath. View attachment 140019
View attachment 140020
View attachment 140021

That color turned out beautiful. That can't be the same hat!

RJR

All else on the hat is fine and the felt does have a noticeably different hand to the felt which I was able to really see during the gas bath. View attachment 140019
View attachment 140020
View attachment 140021

Nice save,Scott.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgot to mention that when I removed the binding I noticed that the thread matched the color of the felt and not the binding itself. So keeping to that I used a grey thread which contrasted nicely with the ribbon, which unfortunately was the last piece I had in that color but am ok knowing that it made it onto a great hat non the less even though I’ll have no more.
aa74d7634f503816ec33a905bf2d1f14.jpg

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I forgot my American Hat Co. wool conversion. This and my dark brown fedora conversion will be my camping/woodcraft hat. It fits like it was made for me. I'm a 7 5/8 LO but this 3/4 fits great! The ribbon will be changed when I find the right one.
e95b167dbaa1b21663606f1e9f111a66.jpg
20f640f364ef0dc5c0b78220494b9b5f.jpg

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice job on the conversions, guys. I'm almost finished with this red liner Resistol Westerner conversion. All I lack is some matching 3/8 ribbon for the brim binding and for the OR style hat band and bow. Other than that, I'll wear it 'as is' for now with this matching unattached 2 ply ribbon. The snap brim is 2 3/4 wide and my preferred tear drop creased crown is 4 3/4 tall at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches tall in the back

Before: as received:
Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-6.jpg

Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-7-A.jpg

Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-5-A.jpg

Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-4-A.jpg

Stripped down and on the block:
Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-1.jpg

After: (2 ply ribbon is temporary until I find some matching 3/8 ribbon to put on it)
Resistol-Westerner-SB-5-A.jpg

Resistol-Westerner-SB-6-A.jpg

Resistol-Westerner-SB-7-A.jpg

I put in a new sweat band and I reused the original red liner, the size tag, and the original sweat band bow

Resistol-Westerner-in-Silverbelly-10-A.jpg

On the head
Resistol-Westerner-in-Silverbelly-5-A.jpg

Resistol-Westerner-in-Silverbelly-1-A.jpg

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
On the head. Nice tall crown with a deep dished Tear Drop crease. The open crown is six inches tall and is creased to five inches tall at the pinch with a rake sloping back to four inches.
Resistol_Stagecoach_Whippet_7_A.jpg

I've been down and out for some time due to back surgery... just now getting to some catching up... this is one killer look! I love what you are doing!!

~shoes~

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I've been down and out for some time due to back surgery... just now getting to some catching up... this is one killer look! I love what you are doing!!

~shoes~
Thank you RS! I appreciate that buddy! I hope you're getting along well after having your surgery. Looks like I may be headed that way myself. I've been out of work since January over a bad back. My doctor and back surgeon have me doing pain management for now to see how I do. Hope you're doing better.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars

~shoes~

I hope your surgery works out well. It's been about ten years since my first one( my condition shows on my latest MRI to be degenerative, so I will certainly have at least one more)and while it greatly improved my condition, I have still not been able to go back to work. Take good care of yourself and keep in shape, especially ensure you keep a strong core. People don't realize how big of a life changing event back injuries are, except those of us who have experienced them. I wish you the best of luck and remember laughter can often be the best medicine!

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Thank you RS! Looks like I may be headed that way myself. I've been out of work since January over a bad back. My doctor and back surgeon have me doing pain management for now to see how I do. Hope you're doing better.

The dr told me that I would have my surgery and be back to "normal activities tomorrow"...

Have you ever been in a bar where they have one of those 'Free Beer Tomorrow' signs?? You go back tomorrow... and the free beer is tomorrow... not today... That's pretty much how this has worked for me. I'm 9 weeks post op and am just now getting to where I can get up, out, and around. It's been brutal...

My brother had the surgery and was indeed up and about the next day... not 100%... but up and about.

Good luck to you on your surgery!!

~shoes~

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
I hope your surgery works out well. It's been about ten years since my first one( my condition shows on my latest MRI to be degenerative, so I will certainly have at least one more)and while it greatly improved my condition, I have still not been able to go back to work. Take good care of yourself and keep in shape, especially ensure you keep a strong core. People don't realize how big of a life changing event back injuries are, except those of us who have experienced them. I wish you the best of luck and remember laughter can often be the best medicine!

Hi there... this has been a nightmare... I've been upbeat about it... Ive tried to have a good attitude... things will be ok. I have had four friends die in recent weeks from cancer.... compared to them, I have no real problems...

Thank you for the best wishes!

~shoes~

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The dr told me that I would have my surgery and be back to "normal activities tomorrow"...

Have you ever been in a bar where they have one of those 'Free Beer Tomorrow' signs?? You go back tomorrow... and the free beer is tomorrow... not today... That's pretty much how this has worked for me. I'm 9 weeks post op and am just now getting to where I can get up, out, and around. It's been brutal...

My brother had the surgery and was indeed up and about the next day... not 100%... but up and about.

Good luck to you on your surgery!!

~shoes~
Wow...I'm trying to put mine off for as long as I can and just try the pain management for a while. My sister went through back surgery two years ago for the similar problems I have. She had nothing but trouble ever since. She'll be going back for more surgery next week. This will make her third surgery in two years. I'm dreading it. I wish you well, buddy.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Finished up this '50s era over welt brim Dobbs Fifth Avenue that a fellow Lounger sent me, who wishes to remain anonymous. It was pretty rough and dirty to start with but the felt was sound. The quality of this felt is really something. Definitely a lost art from a bygone era. It started out as a size 7 and I was able to reblock it and change the open crown shape and size it up to a 7 1/4. As expected, the sweat was toast. I couldn't reuse the original ribbon like I would have wanted. It was badly stained and faded. Besides, it would have been too short anyway. The hat really cleaned up nice and revealed a Pecan like color. The amazing thing with the color is that it has some interesting undertones going on that changes colors to match the background it's in. It goes from grey, to green, to brown,...So, finding a ribbon to match the hat that would do the same have been a chore. Then I remembered some vintage and contrasting 6 ply mid ribbon I had that the same undertones. It was a perfect match. Here's what I came up with....

Before: As received
IMG-20181006-150850384-HDR.jpg

IMG-20181006-150936487.jpg

IMG-20181006-151003991.jpg

IMG-20181006-151055667.jpg

After....
Dobbs-Fedora-4-A.jpg

Dobbs-Fedora-5-A.jpg

Dobbs-Fedora-3-A.jpg

I've been away awhile but I see you're still turning out great hats. Nice job Terry.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 140020
View attachment 140021

Great job Scott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk