Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Here's my Longhair Resistol Stagecoach conversion with the addition of a brim binding ... My thanks to Bob Hufford who originally gifted this hat to me. It started out as a size 6 3/4 Tan Bark Resistol Stagecoach.

Simply amazing transformation Terry! It certainly came a long way from how I found it for $1.00 at a garage sale.

a0e8061e148cdae1a8ce9c48ae730940.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Like Penman and other well known hatters point out about their creations, all my work and sewing is done by hand. But if I could afford to buy the machines and tools to work with you better believe I wouldn't be hand making this sh*t! This hand making crap can be a tedious pain in the a$$ at times!

Here's a quick little project as soon as I make it to a fabric store to buy some matching thread. This was the 6 7/8 Stagecoach in Tan Bark that a Lounger gave to me. I converted it to a 7 1/4 Longhair and I'm now getting ready to sew on this brim binding. Here's an idea of what it will look like once I'm finished....
Resistol_Longhair_Whippet_3_A.jpg

Here's my Longhair Resistol Stagecoach conversion with the addition of a brim binding. I've always wanted a vintage Whippet but could never afford one when they came up on ebay. So, I did the next best thing. I made my own.

Resistol_Whippet_18_A.jpg
T Jones you have all my admiration and I support, from a long distance, your projects that I always follow with such attention. I always learn something that is useful for me to evaluate the hats that pass me by the hand. Your creations have an excellent appearance and putting old felts on their feet is always a remarkable action. Furthermore, the hats you build are always very beautiful. The stitches with the hands can also be very "romantic" but they are never as precise as those of a good sewing machine ;) I wish you to find one at a low price. Continue in your work, is interesting to follow you in the conversion path!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
T Jones you have all my admiration and I support, from a long distance, your projects that I always follow with such attention. I always learn something that is useful for me to evaluate the hats that pass me by the hand. Your creations have an excellent appearance and putting old felts on their feet is always a remarkable action. Furthermore, the hats you build are always very beautiful. The stitches with the hands can also be very "romantic" but they are never as precise as those of a good sewing machine ;) I wish you to find one at a low price. Continue in your work, is interesting to follow you in the conversion path!
Thank you Danielle. I really appreciate that! You're right. I think machine sewing more precise and much less tedious and frustrating than hand sewing. I would love to have a vintage specialized sewing machine for hats. Some day, maybe. I hope...btw, my Granddaughter will be traveling to your country in February to attend college there for a few months.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just finished up another project that I started a few weeks back. This is either a late '50s or early '60s Bradford Western 7X Quality. Since I can't afford the price tag of a vintage Strat, I made my own version of one and I just finished sewing on the brim binding and ribbon work. My 7X Bradoliner conversion :) The open crown is 5 1/2 inches tall and is creased to 4 5/8 at the pinch with a rake sloping to four inches in the back. It's creased in my preferred Tear Drop. The snap brim is 2 5/8 wide. I couldn't get good pictures of the hat because of the overcast weather. I'll get better ones on a more sunny day...

Bradoliner_8_A.jpg

Bradoliner_7_A.jpg

Bradoliner_1_A.jpg

And while I was sewing on the brim binding I was going to eat this sucker for a "pick me up" until I noticed something strange about it....
Bradoliner_15_A.jpg

Yup. You all guessed it. It contains Soy.
Bradoliner_17_B.jpg

Last edited:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just finished up another project that I started a few weeks back. This is either a late '50s or early '60s Bradford Western 7X Quality. Since I can't afford the price tag of a vintage Strat, I made my own version of one and I just finished sewing on the brim binding and ribbon work. My 7X Bradoliner conversion :) The open crown is 5 1/2 inches tall and is creased to 4 5/8 at the pinch with a rake sloping to four inches in the back. It's creased in my preferred Tear Drop. The snap brim is 2 5/8 wide. I couldn't get good pictures of the hat because of the overcast weather. I'll get better ones on a more sunny day...

Bradoliner_8_A.jpg

Bradoliner_7_A.jpg

Bradoliner_1_A.jpg

And while I was sewing on the brim binding I was going to eat this sucker for a "pick me up" until I noticed something strange about it....
Bradoliner_15_A.jpg

Yup. You all guessed it. It contains Soy.
Bradoliner_17_B.jpg
Egads, and maltitol! Talk about stomach upset!

Great conversion as usual, Terry!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the process of converting this butt ugly black Borsalino that a fellow Lounger gifted to me, who wishes to remain anonymous. Butt ugly or not, this hat is going to make a fine conversion. The felt is really nice and I have plenty of hat to work with. It has a 3 inch brim and had a very tapered tall crown, (between 5 3/4 to 6 inches). I'll be reusing the original brim binding and ribbon work. I won't be able to reuse the sweat since I'm somewhere between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8, so it's getting a little size up from its advertised 7 1/4. The detailing on this hat was also a testimony to its quality. I'm really anxious to see how this turns out...

As it looked when I first unboxed it...
Borsalino_17_A.jpg

Borsalino_31_A.jpg

Borsalino_21_A.jpg

Borsalino_19_A.jpg

Borsalino_9_A.jpg

Screenshot_20180926-204705.png

Borsalino_12_A.jpg

IMG_20180926_204815958.jpg

IMG_20180926_204921475.jpg

IMG_20180927_213759911.jpg

Borsalino_29_A.jpg

Borsalino_1.jpg

Check out the decorative stitching around the brim binding. This kind of attention to details is what sets a quality built hat apart from the rest...
Borsalino_8_A.jpg

Before and after pics. Off the block and squared up nicely. Hope to finish up in a few days. (The ribbon isn't sewn on yet).
Borsalino_Open_Crown_Before_and_After.jpg

Last edited:

Tukwila

I'm in the process of converting this butt ugly black Borsalino that a fellow Lounger gifted to me, who wishes to remain anonymous. Butt ugly or not, this hat is going to make a fine conversion. The felt is really nice and I have plenty of hat to work with. It has a 3 inch brim and had a very tapered tall crown, (between 5 3/4 to 6 inches). I'll be reusing the original brim binding and ribbon work. I won't be able to reuse the sweat since I'm somewhere between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8, so it's getting a little size up from its advertised 7 1/4. The detailing on this hat was also a testimony to its quality. I'm really anxious to see how this turns out...

Borsalino_17_A.jpg

Borsalino_31_A.jpg

Borsalino_21_A.jpg

Borsalino_19_A.jpg

Borsalino_9_A.jpg

Borsalino_12_A.jpg

Borsalino_29_A.jpg

Borsalino_1.jpg

Check out the decorative stitching around the brim binding. This kind of attention to details is what sets a quality built hat apart from the rest...
Borsalino_8_A.jpg

Before and after pics. Off the block and squared up nicely. Hope to finish up in a few days. (The ribbon isn't sewn on yet).

Fantastic improvement, Terry! I love those folded over ribbon brim treatments. Classy!

Desert dog

Wow, what an improvement the blocking made. Looking forward to seeing the finished hat.

Borsalino_17_A.jpg

Borsalino_31_A.jpg

Borsalino_21_A.jpg

Borsalino_19_A.jpg

Borsalino_9_A.jpg

Borsalino_12_A.jpg

Borsalino_29_A.jpg

Borsalino_1.jpg

Borsalino_8_A.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bond

Hello everyone it’s been a while. Here’s a recent conversion I did for a fellow lounger. This is a beautiful Knox Superfine Homburg in navy that he was wanting to wear as a flat brim fedora and he asked me to convert it for him.
Fortunately I was able to re use the original binding since I wasn’t satisfied with any of ribbon I had or would work with this color navy felt. Maintained Brim at 2 1/2.
c01d5a1cc8ac0d97062be1139aaa358d.jpg

4bbf3f0f49cefc740f08eb79cd956d1e.jpg
bb2e5dc2f3da2319cadba977fc62c4f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Hello everyone it’s been a while. Here’s a recent conversion I did for a fellow lounger. This is a beautiful Knox Superfine Homburg in navy that he was wanting to wear as a flat brim fedora and he asked me to convert it for him.
Fortunately I was able to re use the original binding since I wasn’t satisfied with any of ribbon I had or would work with this color navy felt. Maintained Brim at 2 1/2.

Nice job! Neat work on the conversion.

Tukwila

Jealous this isn't mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo