Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yaay! Got home and the pix loaded from my Kindle. Must be something at the office. Nice crease you got there!!
Thank you buddy! I just went with something a little more ordinary. It was originally like a lot of other Westerns I saw from this era. Shorter than usual open crown for a serious Western, and with only a three inch wide brim. The specs actually seem to be closer to an Open Road style rather than to that of an "all out" Western. But, I like its casual and easy going look, (or its Deputy Sheriff look as my Son said). Anyway, I liked Eastwood's hat in, "A Perfect World", and tried to do something similar to that look, (not intended to be an exact replica, though).

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Finished up the Kevin McAndrew. I did a little more tweaking on the brim and I found a matching colored 3/8 ribbon that's finished off with an OR style bow.

Kevin-Mc-Andrew-Redo-3-A.jpg

Kevin-Mc-Andrew-Redo-2-A.jpg

Kevin-Mc-Andrew-Redo-4-A.jpg

Kevin-Mc-Andrew-Redo-6-A.jpg

I'll post these same pictures in the Western Hat thread.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm working on another conversion and I'm stuck on what to do with it. Rockwater made a nice straight sided block for me and I took it on a second trial run with this 10X Thoroughbred that I made a Longhair out of. I don't care much for the color of the hat so I was using it for experimentation. It's a pretty tall hat and I creased it with a center dent and tight pinch. I don't whether to keep it Western or to make a Fedora out of it. So for now I'm stuck trying to figure out where I want to take this....

Here's the block that Rockwater made after I used it...
Block-4A.jpg

Block-3A.jpg

Here's the Thoroughbred on the block...
IMG-20181202-125146017.jpg

IMG-20181202-152603935-HDR.jpg

Off the block and creased
Thoroughbred-10-X-4-A.jpg

Thoroughbred-10-X-5-A.jpg

Not sure what to do with this one.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I'm working on another conversion and I'm stuck on what to do with it. Rockwater made a nice straight sided block for me and I took it on a second trial run with this 10X Thoroughbred that I made a Longhair out of. I don't care much for the color of the hat so I was using it for experimentation. It's a pretty tall hat and I creased it with a center dent and tight pinch. I don't whether to keep it Western or to make a Fedora out of it. So for now I'm stuck trying to figure out where I want to take this....

Block-4A.jpg

Block-3A.jpg

That hat brings to mind the "Virginia Trekker" hat that I made for Regan with the brim downturned front and back and an oil tanned leather hatband. I like yours just the way it is right now, kind of a country crossover hat of the style that seems to be gaining in popularity. Hell, whatever you decide to do with it it's gonna be fantastic. P.S. I like the color a lot.

Block-4A.jpg

Block-3A.jpg

Tall straight crown.
Plenty of brim
Nice color (why don’t you like it?)

I’d say put a ribbon on it and leave it as it sits. I like the outsized fedora/adventure/outdoorsman style of hats. Very nice to my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a pic of Regan's Virginia Trekker in pure beaver. I may have done too many drugs in the 70's, but the hat seems to be shaking it's fist at the elements.
View attachment 147107
Now that's a good looking hat right there. I like that one. Yeah, I might do as you suggested. I don't think fedoratizing mine is going to work out very well. The hat's pretty tall, so I think a wider brim will be more proportionate to the crown height. Thanks, Rick. That helped.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Block-4A.jpg

Block-3A.jpg

As others have suggested, I wouldn't do a whole lot more to it, personally, except maybe a mid-width ribbon, since it has such a tall crown? I like the color, but I do tend to favor russets and mid-browns.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of that tan Stratton you posted in another thread, too. I usually don't lean towards tan, but that turned out really sharp!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Tall straight crown.
Plenty of brim
Nice color (why don’t you like it?)

I’d say put a ribbon on it and leave it as it sits. I like the outsized fedora/adventure/outdoorsman style of hats. Very nice to my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks buddy. I might just leave the brim as is and make an adventurer type hat out of it. Just gotta find a hat band for it. The color of the hat is going to be hard to match up a ribbon for it, though. Maybe an oiled leather hat band of some sort as Rick suggested.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I may have done too many drugs in the 70's, but the hat seems to be shaking it's fist at the elements.
View attachment 147107

Drugs or not, Rick, you're certainly right! Heavy rain, ice storms, snow - after several dry years I'm glad I ordered this hat when I did, as it has shed all the precipitation we have had lately and laughed ("Is that all you've got? Ha! Piece of cake!"). It goes out the door when I do, unless I'm getting into something really dirty or I want a dressier look, and it has become my go-to hat. Just what you built it for!

I promise I'll treat the new one you just built a little gentler because I want to keep it nice, but have no doubt it would fare just as well.

Terry, I always enjoy seeing the work you turn out. Thanks for sharing your efforts with us in such detail. Seeing the process teaches me a lot!

Y'all take care,
Regan

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
As others have suggested, I wouldn't do a whole lot more to it, personally, except maybe a mid-width ribbon, since it has such a tall crown? I like the color, but I do tend to favor russets and mid-browns.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of that tan Stratton you posted in another thread, too. I usually don't lean towards tan, but that turned out really sharp!
Oh yeah, the Stratton. I almost forgot to post pics of it. This one came out pretty nice. It's just a crisp and clean looking hat. It turned out to be one of my favorites. Here you go!

Before:
IMG-20181129-083146183.jpg

On the block:
IMG-20181129-091132292.jpg

After:
Stratton-3-A.jpg

Stratton-2-A.jpg

Stratton-4-A.jpg

On the head at different angles:
Stratton-6-A.jpg

Stratton-7-A.jpg

Stratton-8-A.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Drugs or not, Rick, you're certainly right! Heavy rain, ice storms, snow - after several dry years I'm glad I ordered this hat when I did, as it has shed all the precipitation we have had lately and laughed ("Is that all you've got? Ha! Piece of cake!"). It goes out the door when I do, unless I'm getting into something really dirty or I want a dressier look, and it has become my go-to hat. Just what you built it for!

I promise I'll treat the new one you just built a little gentler because I want to keep it nice, but have no doubt it would fare just as well.

Terry, I always enjoy seeing the work you turn out. Thanks for sharing your efforts with us in such detail. Seeing the process teaches me a lot!

Y'all take care,
Regan
Thank you, buddy. Could you take some pics of that hat from different angles, front, back and sides, and post them? That's a real nice looking hat. Rick did a super job on that one. I like that one a lot.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Oh yeah, the Stratton. I almost forgot to post pics of it. This one came out pretty nice. It's just a crisp and clean looking hat. It turned out to be one of my favorites. Here you go!

Before:
IMG-20181129-083146183.jpg

On the block:
IMG-20181129-091132292.jpg

After:
Stratton-3-A.jpg

Stratton-2-A.jpg

Stratton-4-A.jpg

On the head at different angles:
Stratton-6-A.jpg

Stratton-7-A.jpg

Stratton-8-A.jpg

Thank you! I really like the overall shape and proportion of that one! Really nice work there.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thank you, buddy. Could you take some pics of that hat from different angles, front, back and sides, and post them? That's a real nice looking hat. Rick did a super job on that one. I like that one a lot.

Yes, Rick did a great job! Here are some shots from the Phoenix thread, but I will try to get a back shot and more direct front and side shots later this afternoon:

And one from our recent big ice storm, showing a better front shot:

I will try to get those other shots up later today!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Terry, here are some around-the-hat shots. If you need a view I have not included, please do not hesitate to ask. The first head-on shot seems to widen the brim and shorten the crown somewhat. The brim is 3-1/4" wide and the crown 5" to the top of the front crease. The hat is a size 7-3/4, to put things in perspective:

You will notice the hat is accumulating snow pellets as the photos progress. I went out in a partially-cloudy sky to get some decent light, and as soon as I started taking pictures I started getting pelted with snow pellets! It makes me a little bit suspicious - maybe Rick has yet another talent that he hasn't yet disclosed to us? Could he have conjured this hat to create its own weather? How about it Rick, any Native American medicine men in your ancestry??? ;):D

Take care, friends!
Regan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass