Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Finally finished up this conversion. It started out as a size 6 3/4 6X Biltmore Western that was four sizes too small for me. I blocked this one up gradually with the last blocking done on the 'Rockwater' straight sided block. The hat started out with a tall 6 3/4 open crown and had a four inch brim width. After I reblocked it to a 7 1/4 hat size to fit me, I ended up with a 6 inch open crown and with a brim width that varied between 3 1/2 to 3 5/8 inches. So I still had more than enough brim to work with and I had a healthy open crown as well. Using the Rounding Jack that I got sometime back from Rick at Phoenix Hat Company I cut the brim down to 2 3/4. A Block and a Rounding Jack, handcrafted by two of our very own Lounge members, it doesn't get any better than that. Anyway, I also reworked the finish on this Biltmore and gave it a smooth and rich 'Brushed Velour' finish. The hat now has a 2 3/4 inches wide snap brim and is creased to my preferred tear drop. The open crown, as I said, is 6 inches, and as creased, is 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 in the back. The over all height of the crown as creased is 5 inches. I found a vintage 1 5/8 black ribbon and bow that I sewed on it to finish out the tall straight crown. The color on this hat has some interesting things going on. It looks to be a dark gray with brown undertones. Then at other times, it looks to be a dark brown. In any event, it's a nice color.

Before:
814357907481a7904f8393ff75c87bb1.jpg

On the 'Rockwater' block:
IMG-20181208-071204065.jpg

Completed:
Biltmore-Fedora-Hat-1-A.jpg

Biltmore-Fedora-Hat-2-A.jpg

Biltmore-Fedora-Hat-3-A.jpg

Biltmore-Fedora-Hat-4-A.jpg

This is closer to the true color of the hat:
Biltmore-Fedora-Hat-5-A.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished up this conversion. It started out as a size 6 3/4 6X Biltmore Western that was four sizes too small for me. I blocked this one up gradually with the last blocking done on the 'Rockwater' straight sided block. The hat started out with a tall 6 3/4 open crown and had a four inch brim width. After I reblocked it to a 7 1/4 hat size to fit me, I ended up with a 6 inch open crown and with a brim width that varied between 3 1/2 to 3 5/8 inches. So I still had more than enough brim to work with and I had a healthy open crown as well. Using the Rounding Jack that I got sometime back from Rick at Phoenix Hat Company I cut the brim down to 2 3/4. A Block and a Rounding Jack, handcrafted by two of our very own Lounge members, it doesn't get any better than that. Anyway, I also reworked the finish on this Biltmore and gave it a smooth and rich 'Brushed Velour' finish. The hat now has a 2 3/4 inches wide snap brim and is creased to my preferred tear drop. The open crown, as I said, is 6 inches, and as creased, is 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 in the back. The over all height of the crown as creased is 5 inches. I found a vintage 1 5/8 black ribbon and bow that I sewed on it to finish out the tall straight crown. The color on this hat has some interesting things going on. It looks to be a dark gray with brown undertones. Then at other times, it looks to be a dark brown. In any event, it's a nice color.

Before:

Completed:

Looks great, Terry. I love felt that changes appearance in varying light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Before:

Completed:

I really like that ribbon; it looks like it has a blue undertone to it. Really nice job on the hat overall! I have come across a black Resistol 4x George Strait in 7-3/4 that I want to turn into a fedora for the rare funeral, etc. I would love to find a nice vintage midnight blue ribbon for it. Your post is very timely as it helps me envision how I want my hat to look. Thanks for all your informative posts!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I really like that ribbon; it looks like it has a blue undertone to it. Really nice job on the hat overall! I have come across a black Resistol 4x George Strait in 7-3/4 that I want to turn into a fedora for the rare funeral, etc. I would love to find a nice vintage midnight blue ribbon for it. Your post is very timely as it helps me envision how I want my hat to look. Thanks for all your informative posts!
Thank you buddy. I appreciate that. The ribbon with its bow was given to me by a fellow Lounger. It's of good quality and looks like it came off of a vintage hat. Seemed like a perfect fit for the one that I just converted.

...and you're very welcome. I'm glad it was helpful for you.

Last edited:

humanshoes

One Too Many

Before:

Completed:

Very nice work there T. I think your ribbon skills are just getting better and better.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Terry your work is better and better! Bravo

Just finished doing a quick fedora conversion from this '50s era Resistol 10 Homburg. A fellow Lounger gave this one to me. This is a super nice hat and the felt quality is amazing. I always wanted to try a Homburg but when I put it on, it was obvious that a Homburg just wasn't me. The hat is super clean inside and out and all original. I didn't take anything apart for this quickie conversion. The biggest skill set required for this one was care and patience...and having a fedora brim flange helps. Pretty easy if you take your time. I just ironed out the to flatten out the kettle curl and then ironed again on a brim flange. Unlike my other conversions, I didn't strip this one down. I wanted to leave all that was original to the hat intact. For the crown, all I did was to pop out the center dent to an open crown and then I misted it damp with water from a spray bottle, not soaking. From then on, it was easy. I recreased the crown to my preferred tear drop....

Before
Homburg-1.jpg

Homburg-16-A.jpg

Homburg-17-A.jpg

Homburg-18-A.jpg

Homburg-19-A.jpg

Homburg-20-A.jpg

On the head
Homburg-4-A.jpg

Homburg-9-A.jpg

Homburg-10-A.jpg
Amazing conversion. I would have bet against converting a homburg into a functioning and good looking fedora. As a homburg lover I did shed a tear for the loss!!......no to worry I will get over it!

Before:

Completed:

Another beautiful conversion, Terry. Great work! Lovely colours on the felt and I like that brushed finish.

RJR

Before:

Completed:

TJ,its been great watching as you've done more conversions.Your work has become very professional.

I've had this hat for quite a while and havent worn it out yet, because of how dingy the brim binding/ ribbon were. Not too mention I always thought the cream on white was a little boring. So I nixed the old brim binding and ribbon and hand curled the brim. View attachment 149332 View attachment 149333 View attachment 149334 View attachment 149335

I liked it in its original condition, but your changes made it really pop! Such a rich warm hat deserves another lease at life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21