1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

The Conversion Corral

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Davidson, Apr 7, 2007.

1. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Excellent transformation on that one Terry! It's great that you've saved yet another nice old hat.

deadlyhandsome, Bamaboots and T Jones like this.
  2. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you Rick! I appreciate that!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I finally finished the ribbon and bow work on this Silverbelly Stagecoach conversion. I had a thin ribbon on it originally but the hat didn't look right to me because of its tall crown. While I'm hesitant to put a contrasting color on Silverbelly, this 1 1/2 Burgundy ribbon seemed to work out pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gave the bow just a touch of an upward swoop...
    [​IMG]

On the head. I'm not exactly wearing the right outfit with this hat. It would be better suited if it was paired with a sport jacket rather than with a Carhartt...

[​IMG]

4. Rmccamey

Rmccamey A-List Customer

Another nice one, TJ. I have not seen you mess one up yet!

T Jones likes this.
  5. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

Love the color combination. I personally like contrasting colors.

Tukwila, T Jones and Rmccamey like this.
  6. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Bill. I have to say, it's definitely a nice looking hat. The pictures don't do it justice. The Burgundy on this one seems a little more muted than some colors and the contrast worked out well for it. The only thing with this hat is that it's more of a dress hat than casual.

DOGMAN, Bill Hughes and Tukwila like this.
  7. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

Back is 2017 I bought a Stetson No. 1 conversion from @bond with a burgundy ribbon. I’ll probably never let it go.

362A526A-557E-4A22-84DA-D5709337AC23.jpeg E987225E-FBB0-414D-B668-43549868CE9A.jpeg C42EA44B-262B-4294-9903-E612D5F81846.jpeg 03AF042F-7CAA-4F6B-A36B-16B66F5C45C3.jpeg

hatophile, DOGMAN, Rockwater and 5 others like this.
  8. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you, buddy!
    I'll keep my fingers crossed on that! Just in case!

Rmccamey likes this.
  9. RBH

RBH Bartender

Great job!
    I think it pairs well with the Carhartt.

Tukwila and T Jones like this.
  10. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

11. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Just finished putting some more 1 1/2 Burgundy ribbon on a Silverbelly Bradford LTD. This one started out as a 7 1/8 OR clone. I took it apart a couple of years ago to size it up and after I reblocked it, I accidentally ripped through the back of the hat when I was putting in the brim break. Needless to say, I was sick over it. I stripped it down of its ribbon work and brim binding and used it on another project. I really liked this hat so I thought I'd try to see if I could save it. I taped it up from the inside and then I stitched and reblocked it again. After I took it off the block it felt solid and everything held together. I put another thin ribbon back on it but that didn't hide the stitching in the back. So, once again, I took the thin ribbon off and used it on yet, another hat project. After I put the Burgundy ribbon on my Stagecoach, I thought I'd do the same with this one and see how it would turn out. I used the same upswoop style on the bow work as I did on the Stagecoach except that the shorter of the double tailed bow swoops up higher than the longer one. Anyway, I was glad that I was able to save it. It's a little smaller in specs than the Stagecoach with its 2 1/2 brim width and its medium height crown, both are 7 1/4 in size, though...

Before: It ain't pretty, but it's solid.
    [​IMG]

You can still see the repair stitching when I had the thin ribbon on it
    [​IMG]

After: You can still barely see the stitch holes around the brim where the binding used to be, but I have an idea and a use for those stitch holes. But more on that later after I take a trip to the fabric store:
    [​IMG]

Stagecoach and Bradford, side by side: The Stagecoach with its taller straight crown at 5 inches all around as creased, and with its wider brim at 2 3/4, while the Bradford is no pushover with its more casual look and a straight sided respectable crown height, that's not exactly short, at 4 3/4 all around, as creased.
    [​IMG]

Ribbon work on the Bradford, and it hides the repair quite nicely:
    [​IMG]

Rmccamey, hatophile, RBH and 5 others like this.
  12. B.J. Hedberg

B.J. Hedberg Practically Family

Not a significant conversion, but I wanted to turn this silverbelly Stetson Premiere Stratoliner I picked up as a souvenir on a trip into something more to my liking. I had intended to cut out the sweatband and reblock it slightly taller to take the bring width down to 1 ¼”, but the starting width was wonky, so instead I simply stretched it over my hatshaper to make it more oblong, and added a moderate-sized ribbon and bow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with its new bash under natural and incandescent lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RBH

RBH Bartender

Great job Terry.
    2 1/2 inch brim has become my favorite... I believe it looks good on most everyone.

T Jones likes this.
  14. RJR

RJR

Its taken awhile but I agree.

RBH and T Jones like this.
  15. I like the Burgundy Terry, very nice.

Nice job BJ.

T Jones likes this.
  16. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Perry!

17. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Bob.

18. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Rusty! This one's flanged a little flatter so it looks just a tad wider than it actually is.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    RBH likes this.