Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Cool hat M Hatman.
Good work.
Being a crazy crease lover i do like that crease. I think you need to name it.
Looks kinda like a waterfalls from the side.
I dig it.
B
I am thinking the "Double Basin" in honor of the often hand dug "water tanks" you see for livestock all around Missouri....I have seen some similarly set up on hillsides...though "the waterfall" could work too.;)
I really do like making my wonky creases......
M;)
I wore this around all weekend to a LOT of compliments, with one being the ultimate compliment, where a guy offered to buy it from me.:eek: But, I hardly ever sell anything :rolleyes: and for sure will not be letting this go for some time......;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I finally finished the tweaks on this '50s era Royal De Luxe Stetson Homburg conversion. It was my size so I didn't reblock it since the original open crown shape was tall, (at 5 3/4 inches), and straight sided. After I ironed the brim flat it measured out at 2 5/8 wide, and then I re-flanged it to a snap brim. The only things I took off the hat during the conversion was the liner and the sweat band bow so I could clean them up. I also had to remove the ribbon and bow before I could take out the liner. For some reason, the bow work was sewn through the liner, and it looked like it was done at the factory. Everything's cleaned up and back together. As creased, the crown is 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/2 to the back. The overall height, as creased, is 5 inches. It's a fairly tall and straight sided crown.

Before:
Homburg-Royal-De-Luxe-6-A.jpg

Homburg-Royal-De-Luxe-7-A.jpg

Liner has to be removed for cleaning...
Homburg-Royal-De-Luxe-10-A.jpg

Seriously? Now the ribbon has to be removed so I can get the liner out!
Homburg-Royal-De-Luxe-14-A.jpg

The sweat bow is dirty and coming loose so it has to removed and cleaned up a bit too.
Homburg-Royal-De-Luxe-15-A.jpg

The original sweat is in very good condition...
Homburg-Royal-De-Luxe-11-A.jpg

Homburg-Royal-De-Luxe-12-A.jpg

Homburg-RD-Stetson-Conversion-1.jpg

After:

Liner cleaned and put back in the hat. Only a faint trace of the old staining is barely visible.
Homburg-RD-Stetson-Conversion-2-A.jpg

The ribbon has been ironed and re-attached for a nice snug fit. I like that stitching with the brim binding.
Homburg-RD-Stetson-Conversion-4-A.jpg

From the Back. The crown is really straight sided on this hat.
Homburg-RD-Stetson-Conversion-6-A.jpg

Sideviews
Homburg-RD-Stetson-Conversion-12-A.jpg

Homburg-RD-Stetson-Conversion-8-A.jpg

I finally finished the tweaks on this '50s era Royal De Luxe Stetson Homburg conversion. It was my size so I didn't reblock it since the original open crown shape was tall, (at 5 3/4 inches), and straight sided. After I ironed the brim flat it measured out at 2 5/8 wide, and then I re-flanged it to a snap brim. The only things I took off the hat during the conversion was the liner and the sweat band bow so I could clean them up. I also had to remove the ribbon and bow before I could take out the liner. For some reason, the bow work was sewn through the liner, and it looked like it was done at the factory. Everything's cleaned up and back together. As creased, the crown is 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/2 to the back. The overall height, as creased, is 5 inches. It's a fairly tall and straight sided crown.

Before:

The sweat bow is dirty and coming loose so it has to removed and cleaned up a bit too.

After:

Liner cleaned and put back in the hat. Only a faint trace of the old staining is barely visible.

The ribbon has been ironed and re-attached for a nice snug fit. I like that stitching with the brim binding.

Sideviews

I love it, Terry! No one does conversions like you do. I’d wear the heck out of that hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Before:

After:

Sideviews

Nice job Terry. Looks like it really turned out nice.

humanshoes

One Too Many

Before:

After:

Sideviews

Beautiful job on this one T. I wish I could buy that color hat body.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Before:

After:

Sideviews

Another stellar convo Terry!
What technique did you use to clean the liner?
B

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Another stellar convo Terry!
What technique did you use to clean the liner?
B
Thank you buddy! I used a mixture of white vinegar and dishwashing liquid. Vinegar cuts the salt that's in sweat stains and dishwashing liquid is a degreaser. Afterwards I put the liner over a hat block covered with a paper towel and then I put another paper towel over top and let it dry overnight. After it's dry I iron it out on the lowest heat setting with a smooth white cloth between the iron and the liner.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A conversion in the process. Nothing does 'em up better than using tools that were crafted by two of our own talented Loungers. Mahogany Band Block by our own "Rockwater" and an Oak Rounding Jack by Rick of "The Phoenix Hat Company". Two great craftsmen and I love using their tools...
Band-Block-and-Rounding-Jack.jpg

Straight sided Mahogany Hat Block by Rockwater
Hat-Block-Walnut-1-A.jpg

Hat-Block-Walnut-3-A.jpg

Another look at Rick's Rounding Jack
IMG-20190225-122908050.jpg

I'll have more later on my newest conversion project.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
A conversion in the process. Nothing does 'em up better than using tools that were crafted by two of our own talented Loungers. Mahogany Band Block by our own "Rockwater" and an Oak Rounding Jack by Rick of "The Phoenix Hat Company". Two great craftsmen and I love using their tools...
Band-Block-and-Rounding-Jack.jpg

Straight sided Mahogany Hat Block by Rockwater
Hat-Block-Walnut-1-A.jpg

Hat-Block-Walnut-3-A.jpg

Another look at Rick's Rounding Jack
IMG-20190225-122908050.jpg

I'll have more later on my newest conversion project.
I always look forward to your projects. Beautiful tools!!

humanshoes

One Too Many

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of my favorite lounge customers (Doc) sent me this Vintage Homburg for a conversion to make into a fedora style hat. The Custom brand felt is different than most felts Of standard brands but it turned out to be suitable for the task.
Navy hats can be difficult to match the correct navy ribbon with as this was case with this hat so I let it sit for a while and came back to it several times to find some vintage ribbon that would potentially work with this color navy felt.
I’d call this color ribbon more of a Bronze.
The liner and sweat are original and fortunately I was able to rework the felt without much of a problem there.
Here are before and after pics
IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my favorite lounge customers (Doc) sent me this Vintage Homburg for a conversion to make into a fedora style hat. The Custom brand felt is different than most felts Of standard brands but it turned out to be suitable for the task.
Navy hats can be difficult to match the correct navy ribbon with as this was case with this hat so I let it sit for a while and came back to it several times to find some vintage ribbon that would potentially work with this color navy felt.
I’d call this color ribbon more of a Bronze.
The liner and sweat are original and fortunately I was able to rework the felt without much of a problem there.
Here are before and after pics View attachment 163001
View attachment 163002
View attachment 163004
View attachment 163005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My my.....that turned out nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner