Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
This is a Stagecoach that I've been using as one of my experiment hats. It's been blocked, taken apart, reblocked, and rebuilt a few times..and it still takes a licking and and keeps on ticking. This time around I was going to fire up my Singer 201 and try my hand at 'machine sewing' on a brim binding as opposed to hand sewing one on as I usually do, which sucks toilet water. Unfortunately, I don't have a matching color 7/8 for the binding that I need. So much for that idea. So, I'm just going to throw a black 1 1/2 ribbon on it and flange the brim and use it as a work hat...

Reblocked again for the umpteenth time...
Brown-Resistol-Stagecoach-3.jpg

Threw in a new sweat band...temporary basting stitches to hold the sweat in place...
Brown-Resistol-Stagecoach-2.jpg

Recreased and drying out with a new sweat sewn in with permanent stitches, (unless I decide to take it apart again)...
Brown-Resistol-Stagecoach-1.jpg

I'll have more later when it's finished. Hopefully I can find some matching 7/8 ribbon before I start on it again.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This is a Stagecoach that I've been using as one of my experiment hats. It's been blocked, taken apart, reblocked, and rebuilt a few times..and it still takes a licking and and keeps on ticking. This time around I was going to fire up my Singer 201 and try my hand at 'machine sewing' on a brim binding as opposed to hand sewing one on as I usually do, which sucks toilet water. Unfortunately, I don't have a matching color 7/8 for the binding that I need. So much for that idea. So, I'm just going to throw a black 1 1/2 ribbon on it and flange the brim and use it as a work hat...

Threw in a new sweat band...temporary basting stitches to hold the sweat in place...

Recreased and drying out with a new sweat sewn in with permanent stitches, (unless I decide to take it apart again)...

I'll have more later when it's finished. Hopefully I can find some matching 7/8 ribbon before I start on it again.
Looks good so far, Terry. It sounds like it's a hat testing your skills. Seems like you're winning, buddy.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Looks good so far, Terry. It sounds like it's a hat testing your skills. Seems like your winning, buddy.

Thank you, Steve. This is one of a few hats that I use to experiment on, although this one takes the most punishment. It's definitely a testament to this era of Resistol's toughness...and it still has plenty of life left in it.

It’s always a pleasure to see your conversions. Very nice, Terry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's my Stagecoach finished up once again. I trimmed the brim down to 2 5/8 this time around. It has a black 1 1/2 ribbon with a slight upward swoop to the bow work and this time around I made the inside tail shorter than the outside tail.

Here's the specs:
1. 5 3/4 open crown
2. My preferred Teardrop crease, 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches in the back.
3. Brim is trimmed and flanged at 2 5/8 inches wide.
4. 1 1/2 black ribbon.

Brown-Resistol-Stagecoach-5.jpg

Brown-Resistol-Stagecoach-6.jpg
Brown-Resistol-Stagecoach-7.jpg

Brown-Resistol-Stagecoach-9.jpg

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Here's my Stagecoach finished up once again. I trimmed the brim down to 2 5/8 this time around. It has a black 1 1/2 ribbon with a slight upward swoop to the bow work and this time around I made the inside tail shorter than the outside tail.

Here's the specs:
1. 5 3/4 open crown
2. My preferred Teardrop crease, 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches in the back.
4. 1 1/2 black ribbon.

Nice work Terry. I like the relatively flat brim flange.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I am cleaning my shop, allocating most of it to hat work. I was cleaning the cabinets where miscellaneous auto stuff was stored and had a need.
A thought came to mind and my old wool Scala beater that was my work hat came to mind. I decided to convert it.

It's now a bucket hat.
06c82b60c88aa9861a03db612f7d5cb3.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
This is my double garage home shop. Mostly used for solid wood furniture - Since I moved to a full scale millwork shop it doesn’t see much use. The hat corner is definitely coming soon!

View attachment 186293

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. A double car garage can even feel cramped as a shop, but it's more of one than I ever had.
I'm a residential carpenter, not a furniture and cabinetry type, other than built ins on some bigger interior trim jobs.
My tools have mostly been jobsite sized, meaning I could quickly get them on my van and to the next job.
I always wished I had a shop like yours, particularly because we don't have a garage, so for projects on my house or a little bit of shop work when I was self employed cutting, sanding, routing etc. were done outside.
I got fed up ten years ago and finished a small shop where a door from the driveway comes into the basement; work benches with cabinet doors around 1/2. the perimeter, a miter station set in the top, old kitchen uppers on the walls. I bought a Rigid shop saw on casters to keep against the wall when not in use.
The truth is, it was way to tight. Long stock on the chop saw was impossibe. To assemble anything in the shop was a circus of rolling the table saw out, then back in to build bookshelves or window jambs, or whatever in the limited floor space. If the weather we nice, it was less headache to pull out the jobsite tools and work in the driveway.
I decided to sell the Rigid and buy a track saw. You can do a lot or ripping with one, and I'll just live with the portable for table saw work I have to do. I'm 61 with two bad shoulders, my left one maybe 40% after a failed rotator cuff surgery. I'm ready to get out of it altogether and am hoping to create a niche in hats.
Henry Ermatingers book from 1910, Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating, inspired me. I want to renovate hats, not houses.i would like to retire to someplace with outbuildings and have some kind of woodshop again. Presently I need a hat shop more.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Here's the specs:
1. 5 3/4 open crown
4. 1 1/2 black ribbon.

That is one beautiful hat job, Terry. Great rake.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
This is my double garage home shop. Mostly used for solid wood furniture - Since I moved to a full scale millwork shop it doesn’t see much use. The hat corner is definitely coming soon!

View attachment 186293

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks like your dust containment is very effective, Justin. Kudos.
I'm moving my dust making tools out so I can move the hats back in. I hat hooks and hats along the ceiling wherever there was space, then had a wood project to complete.
Oops!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21