Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, very well job done. The results looks good on you. Great photos.
I think, If it was my hat, I would cut the brim shorter. It is my mind, and for me, If it was my Hat, the brim a little to large.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Manfred. I might still take more off the brim. I wonder if the very thick western weight felt might act funny going too short? Of course (as we say about making oboe reeds) you can always shave a little more off, but you can't put it back on, so a little at a time!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I know-- it's still a little... "is it western, or is it not?" with a squinted eye... The 3 1/4" brim looks very balanced on it, and still retains a little drama. I'm going to let it sit and wear it a bit, and see whether I want to take some more off.

thespoiler: That's the ribbon it came with. I like the color, but I'm not smitten with the box bow, and it's most certainly modern grosgrain, and has a little trouble conforming to the shape of the hat. I'd like to give it a more bow-y bow treatment with a similar color vintage ribbon. I have no idea where to find vintage grosgrain, but then again I haven't ever looked, either.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Jeff,

I have found some vintage grosgrain on Esty and occasionally on ebay....I am more adapt at finding and buying it than using it....I don't have much in the way of sewing skills or patience, although I have made some bows when I forced myself to do it. Here is a conversion I did from an American Hat Co semi western......

ConversionAm.jpg

scooter

Practically Family
Well, Spoiler, from here, that ribbon looks pretty good. I've been trying to work up there courage to start making some of my own and you guys are giving me the necessary encouragement.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have to thank Joshbru for giving me the confidence to actually go ahead with this, though he doesn't know it yet!

First, a rebash.
018copy.jpg

Then, I decided the brim was just too wide for me, and it was either going to get a haircut or sit on a peg forever. I used Josh's method of marking the felt every 1/4" or so around the brim and using sharp scissors carefully around. I did it conservatively, thinking I could take more off another time if I wanted to. It went down to 3 1/4" from almost 4".
028copy.jpg

VERY COOL, Jeff!! I'm so glad that my method could be of some service. The job you did on the brim looks great! Have you sanded the edge to round it out? I'm sure that your hand is much steadier than mine, so it may not be necessary. I sand the edge just to "blend" the sharp and thick western edge. At 3 1/4 inches, the brim is pretty wide, but you pull it off better than anyone I know. I have seen 3 inch wide flanges on ebay, so if you ever wanted to give the hat a sort of "Austral" look to the brim, you could trim it to 3 inches and then use a 3 inch flange to give the brim that old school western touch. Just a thought, but it looks great as it is. Great job!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Josh! I haven't sanded it yet-- a little fearful, for some reason, but I don't think the inconsistencies are too noticeable unless you're up close. My original intent was to take this in the direction of a whippet, but it turned out to be its own beast and of course I won't be binding the edge...!

I can't seem to get the diamond crease quite right either, but the hybrid of diamond and teardrop seem to be doing ok for me, I think.

But I have GOT to do something about that ribbon... There are loose spots and it was originally just glued in anyway, and I'm just not impressed with the box bow. It makes it look like paper to me. So now I have to hunt for vintage ribbon.

If an advertisement states that a ribbon is 50% cotton and 50% rayon, does that indicate modern?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Josh! I haven't sanded it yet-- a little fearful, for some reason, but I don't think the inconsistencies are too noticeable unless you're up close. My original intent was to take this in the direction of a whippet, but it turned out to be its own beast and of course I won't be binding the edge...!

I can't seem to get the diamond crease quite right either, but the hybrid of diamond and teardrop seem to be doing ok for me, I think.

But I have GOT to do something about that ribbon... There are loose spots and it was originally just glued in anyway, and I'm just not impressed with the box bow. It makes it look like paper to me. So now I have to hunt for vintage ribbon.

If an advertisement states that a ribbon is 50% cotton and 50% rayon, does that indicate modern?

Well, if you do decide to sand the edge, use a fairly coarse grit sandpaper to start and always sand the little squared edges from the scissor cuts down first. Then go around the edge in a circular motion until everything is even with a less coarse grade.

I think the Diamond looks good as is. I have always loved Mario's Diamonds and tried it once on a Royalist. I love the sharp edges and the rake of the crease. Just be ware that anytime felt is creased with such tight creases, there is a possibility that the lines will be semi-permanent for a while.

Here's some pics of the "Mario Diamond"in my former Royalist

Royalist2.jpg

Royalist3.jpg

Royalist1.jpg

Much of the vintage 20's, 30's, and 40's ribbon that I have bought from etsy or ebay is a cotton and rayon mix. The best vintage ribbon used "natural" rayon verses "synthetic" rayon. My understanding is that natural wood fibers or pulp was used and not only conforms to the hat better, but makes those beautiful ribbon creases on the old hats. The old stuff is great for making those wonderful frayed edges too. I would recommend etsy for vintage ribbon, but be careful, many times the price for the ribbon is for "3 yards", not the entire spool.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
what a great lid! you did a fantastic job with the "Mario Diamond." Former? did you unload this one?
I just domed up the telescope a little more and it is far more comfortable now, and tried to straighten the short legs of the diamond.
I was showing my kids some Abbott and Costello on youtube last night, and the one where they're at the diner with the twin waitresses showed a really amazing crease (Bud Abbott's hat).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f1zuw5Ha18
I was mesmerized by the arch in the front before the rake sloped down. All my attempts at teardrops, C-crowns, diamonds, have raked straight up to the front, but I managed (don't know how) to get a slight arch in this one.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
what a great lid! you did a fantastic job with the "Mario Diamond." Former? did you unload this one?
I just domed up the telescope a little more and it is far more comfortable now, and tried to straighten the short legs of the diamond.
I was showing my kids some Abbott and Costello on youtube last night, and the one where they're at the diner with the twin waitresses showed a really amazing crease (Bud Abbott's hat).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f1zuw5Ha18
I was mesmerized by the arch in the front before the rake sloped down. All my attempts at teardrops, C-crowns, diamonds, have raked straight up to the front, but I managed (don't know how) to get a slight arch in this one.

Thanks, Jeff! I did sell this hat during the spring because it was a 6 7/8. I stretched it to 7 several times, but it would always go back to 6 7/8. Everytime I wore the hat, it gave me a headache, so I sold it.

I love that Abbott and Costello clip. Its one of my favorites! The crease in that clip was spectacular. I do love how the rake of the crown looks with a diamond. I'm not a huge fan of c-crowns or even teardrops, but diamonds look so cool.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
My Newly Purchased and Converted Resistol "Showdown"

I had been shopping for a larger fedora styled hat for a while and was not happy as I wasn't finding what I was looking for. I looked at Akubras, Stetsons and the like but my fussy nature wouldn't let me settle for a compromise. So.......I had to make or convert something into what I wanted that had the dimensions as a foundation. I went to the local Western Shop and spent about an hour perusing the shelves until I found this:

051607SD.jpg

A 5X Beaver, open crowned, Resistol "Showdown" with a 5.5" brim and a 5.5" untapered crown in Fawn with a nice thin Moss Green ribbon.

This is the result of taking the brim down to 3", sanding the brim edge to remove the bevel of the trim and putting it to the tea kettle. I gave the crown the "Mario Diamond Crease" and the brim a nice swoopy curl in the back and downturn on the front and worked it until it was perfection.

Needless to say, I am very happy with how it turned out and it now rarely leaves my head........ever.

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

....with it on my noggin'.....

423538_1905043722215_1725447886_943348_499800966_n.jpg

I hope you like it. I know I do!:D

~Erik

Last edited:

Forum statistics