Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Thank you, again, very much, Mr. Manfred. I do believe that is the nicest thing that anybody has said about any of my hats. I shall now officially call this crease and shape combo, "The Eagle" in honor of your wonderful observation. There will be more Eagles soaring in the future!

~Erik

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Erik, my sincere thanks for this great honor. I am obviously deeply moved.
I look forward and I hope I can see, much more creations of eagles in future.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Erik, EXCELLENT JOB on that conversion. That brim edge looks absolutely perfect! I'm so glad that you saw the need to sand the bevel on the brim round again after the cut. The diamond crease and brim swoop are wonderful as well. I hope to see more conversions from you. You really seem to have a talent for them! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Royalist3.jpg

Oh yes, I rememeber that one, Josh. That's a fine kite there!

What can I say? Terrific conversion job and a gorgeous crease! :eusa_clap :D

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
Well, I'm trying my hand at my first Western-to-Fedora conversion.
I found an old Missouri-made Pedigreed Thoroughbred 10X off-white western hat.
It has a 4" brim and the THICKEST felt that I have ever seen?
I first cut the brim down to 2 3/4", then soaked the hat in warm water.
After shaping the hat, I'm letting it dry.
Jeez.....the felt is so heavy, it's been drying now for TWO days?
I'll post some pics of the finished product, whenever it finally dries out.....2013, maybe?

Steve

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Steve, I had one of those Thoroughbred westerns for awhile, and I do remember the exceptionally heavy felt. You could prop it up near (but not on!) a heater vent in your house; that might speed up the drying.

Harry Jones

New in Town
Akubra Cattleman to fedora

Well, attempted my first conversion. Got an Akubra Cattleman on Ebay as a project hat. I was surprised by how soft it was. My only other Akubra is a Coober Pedy I got from David Morgan, primarily as part of a Rough Rider (1st United States Volunteer Cavalry) outfit I wore for Cowboy Action Shooting. It was very stiff. For the conversion I cut the brim to 2 3/4 in., adjusted for long oval, rebashed as a center dent fedora, and replaced the leather hatband with an 1 1/2 in. dark brown ribbon I got from Todd's. It looks good against the fawn hat color. I'll try to post some pictures. You folks with more Akubra experience than I, are the Cattleman hats for the Aussie market different (softer) than those for the American Market? Mine is unlined and I notice that the ones sold by DM are lined, so I wonder if there are other differences as well.

Harry Jones

New in Town
p1000266w.jpg
p1000268z.jpg
p1000277g.jpg
p1000272zs.jpg
p1000287a.jpg
p1000286c.jpg

Have no idea is this works, but thought I would try. FYI, the open crown was 5 3/4, with very little taper. He current crown is a bit under 5 in. Working on making a flange, and if it comes out OK, may try it on the brim.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Oh well done Harry! you've just turned a hat that I would consider 'Aussie Costume' into a perfectly acceptable everyday wearer. Good job,

MP

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
What can I say? Terrific conversion job and a gorgeous crease! :eusa_clap :D[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mr. Mario! You're half the inspiration for "The Eagle". I can no longer wear a hat proper without a Diamond Crease. Period.........unless, of course, it's one of my Cowboy Lids.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana