Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's funny! Thanks for the laugh at the end of the day !
I wonder if any one has tried making short brims wider with the add on method???

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, this job is, well done. You've made, the best you can do. It looks not bad. Give it a nice ribbon, maybe colored, and nobody know the difference.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Beaver Brand project of love

working on a reviving my BB "spcl slvr" fedora. I considered getting rid of it, but inspiration struck me and since I had the needle and thread handy, I thought I'd reconnect the back of the sweatband (it helps when the holes are already there and intact).

Too much recreasing had it tapering and wrinkling, and the brim seems to have gotten shorter. I don't know if I want to go back to the original ridged C-crown or not, but here's the progression thus far, after a fearless and hearty soaking and reblock, reflange/brim stretch, and the beginnings of a soft center dent.

The only thing is, though I seem to have lengthened the brim a tad, it's not totally even all the way around.

Originally:
61301133926920251158964.jpg

Recently:
image2copy.jpg

Now it's nice and squarish, even if a little heavier than before:
014copyb.jpg

Posing on a chair (still a little wet-- the ribbon is much lighter and matches almost exactly when dry):
037copy.jpg

I'm really just trying to avoid wanting to buy an already intact replacement for it.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
working on a reviving my BB "spcl slvr" fedora. I considered getting rid of it, but inspiration struck me and since I had the needle and thread handy, I thought I'd reconnect the back of the sweatband (it helps when the holes are already there and intact).

Too much recreasing had it tapering and wrinkling, and the brim seems to have gotten shorter. I don't know if I want to go back to the original ridged C-crown or not, but here's the progression thus far, after a fearless and hearty soaking and reblock, reflange/brim stretch, and the beginnings of a soft center dent.

The only thing is, though I seem to have lengthened the brim a tad, it's not totally even all the way around.

He looks very cool, Jeff. You did a good job . Like you always say you are on the roll.:)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950's Stetson Homburg Conversion THIN RIBBON

Here's my second conversion in the last month or so. I bought this homburg from the same seller as my other St. Regis. This one was a few years older than the light blue one, but still the same crown height and same dimensions. I decided to make a thin ribbon this time. I was inspired by Lefty's Early 1900's Chamois thin ribbon. I pretty much copied the ribbon exactly because I just loved it so much. I even frayed the ends of the ribbon on the brim. I thought it was time for a thin ribbon conversion. (Thanks for the idea Rusty)

I used vintage grosgrain ribbon from the 40's. I bought the ribbon a year ago on Etsy on the original spool.

The brim is 2 1/4 inches wide (my favorite width)

Open Crown Height is 5 1/2 inches tall.

Highest point of the crown while creased is 5 inches tall.

The ribbon is 5/8 of an inch wide.

Before Pics:

DSC06870.jpg

DSC06853.jpg

AFTER pics:

DSC06875.jpg

DSC06874.jpg

DSC06877.jpg

DSC06878.jpg

DSC06879.jpg

DSC06880.jpg

DSC06882.jpg

DSC06900.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Great job done, josh. Very, very nice work. Your ribbon arrangements looks fantastic.
I have a question. Have you ever changed, a sweatband at one of your hat.
If yes, how you sew the new one in it. Have you a special technic or Photos which shows it.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here's my second conversion in the last month or so. I bought this homburg from the same seller as my other St. Regis. This one was a few years older than the light blue one, but still the same crown height and same dimensions. I decided to make a thin ribbon this time. I was inspired by Lefty's Early 1900's Chamois thin ribbon. I pretty much copied the ribbon exactly because I just loved it so much. I even frayed the ends of the ribbon on the brim. I thought it was time for a thin ribbon conversion. (Thanks for the idea Rusty)

I used vintage grosgrain ribbon from the 40's. I bought the ribbon a year ago on Etsy on the original spool.

The brim is 2 1/4 inches wide (my favorite width)

Open Crown Height is 5 1/2 inches tall.

Highest point of the crown while creased is 5 inches tall.

The ribbon is 5/8 of an inch wide.
Nice work!

scooter

Practically Family
I've been looking for an inexpensive homburg just for conversion purposes, Josh. I hope I can do half as well as you've done on this one. Bravo!!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Great job done, josh. Very, very nice work. Your ribbon arrangements looks fantastic.
I have a question. Have you ever changed, a sweatband at one of your hat.
If yes, how you sew the new one in it. Have you a special technic or Photos which shows it.

Very Nice.....I like it..

Excellent Josh, another positive re-creation and another more 'wearable' hat into the world.

Nice work!

Bravo, Josh! You do such impressive conversions. Great work!

I've been looking for an inexpensive homburg just for conversion purposes, Josh. I hope I can do half as well as you've done on this one. Bravo!!

That is a great hat Josh!!!
WELL DONE INDEED!!

WOW. Thank you so very much everybody for your wonderful words!!!! I absolutely love this thin/mid ribbon and the way it looks with a fairly straight crown. I've noticed that whenever I use a thinner ribbon on a full crown profile, it usually makes that crown look much taller than it really is. I think with this homburg, it needed some added crown room. Because it was a 1950's Stetson, I would guess that the crown profile was a 51 due to the slightly rounded top. The thin ribbon made it look much straighter, which I love. For my face, a 2 1/4 inch brim seems to work well (most of my hats are 2 1/4), but I really want to do another thin ribbon conversion and make the brim 2 1/2.

Manfred, I have replaced sweatbands before. I do not have the proper singer sewing machines for it, so its all by hand. Its a long and tedious process. I highly recommend buying a "stitch awl" which will make the process a bit easier. Brad has an incredible tutorial on how the sew in new sweatbands by hand.

Stitch-Awl-Tutorial-Sweatband-Installation

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The Megahat goes minimega

you may remember my Megahat (TM; hatophile) from Charles the Ebay guy.
tnrookiecowboyhat.jpg

I have converted it yet again. A few more permanent changes.
I have to thank Joshbru for giving me the confidence to actually go ahead with this, though he doesn't know it yet!

First, a rebash.
018copy.jpg

022copy.jpg

027copyy.jpg

Then, I decided the brim was just too wide for me, and it was either going to get a haircut or sit on a peg forever. I used Josh's method of marking the felt every 1/4" or so around the brim and using sharp scissors carefully around. I did it conservatively, thinking I could take more off another time if I wanted to. It went down to 3 1/4" from almost 4".
028copy.jpg

Still wet, and I might consider a different bow treatment eventually if I can find some good grosgrain and some more guts. I think I already like it more, and will probably wear it in public.

029copym.jpg

031copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24