Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

EggHead

Practically Family
BJ, I had decent luck with using an iron to bend the brim in the back.
Spray the brim with distilled water and smear it with you fingers, put a wet towel in-between iron and the brim.
Additionally, you can also use the steam from the iron.
Then place your hats brim on the narrow edge of the ironing board upside down, tilt the hat to desired angle for curvature and apply the iron. (keep wet cloth between brim and iron)
Warning, keep checking for wetness in the felt as the iron dries it out in seconds.
You can rotate the hat a bit and iron it to get a smooth transition on all of the rear.

Edit: I just looked at the ad for your hat - it's a wool hat, maybe that is why the brim sagged in the back. I was using my method on the Akubra fur hat.

Last edited:

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Gentlemen, thank you.

Egghead, it’s looking better now, but I’ll have to keep working on it. Still wary about using the iron, so that’s the next thing to start practicing with. You mentioned the wool version, I know I have too many other hats on the “buy” list, but I was thinking if you had them make a wool version with a snap brim you could probably get a pretty good winter hat out of it. Not as much detail, but sure better than the old wool ones I used to have. Might have to put one down on the possible project list.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I'm going to be getting one real soon! Its the perfect canvas for those 20's/early 30's style hats that I love so much. With a 6 1/2 inch open crown, it leaves plenty of room for those wonderful deep creases. Again, BJ Hedberg, EXCELLENT job!!!

Thanks again, I just thought I needed to try it after seeing your great western conversions over here. It's a bit more fun than simply ordering exactly what you want. I’m leaning towards trying to find the funds to pick up a Navy one in a few months, but then again silverbelly would look nice.

PS I think you are right Zetwal. :D

Raider

One of the Regulars
I gave Peters Bros this:
westernconversion001.jpg

and in a few weeks Joe gave me this:
bnindy.jpg

Str8Jacket

New in Town
Gents, I'm looking all over the forum for a how to on converting these old cowboy hat finds, can someone drop the actual steps they take to do a conversion?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Gents, I'm looking all over the forum for a how to on converting these old cowboy hat finds, can someone drop the actual steps they take to do a conversion?

There is a step by step outline for converting a western in an earlier part of this thread. The way my thread is organized it's on page three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy