Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thanks,Tim.Now if I can take off the hat you made for me,maybe I can wear it.Have had my Cane's creation on everyday since I got it.Love that hat.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Decided I needed a new panama hat for summer, so I set about building one using a Stetson center dent I picked up that looked like it would be straight enough and have enough brim to re-work.

1_zpsj9aubrrt.jpg

First I stripped it of its ribbon and cloth sweatband, before soaking it through and through and working it over my plastic hat shaper. Once certain it was evenly set, I used some cotton rope to help it hold its new shape and proceeded to the ironing stage. When I ordered the Stetson, I gambled that there was enough hat to work it completely over the hat shaper and actually iron in a new brim break at its base. It worked.

2_zpsdhfcv1r3.jpg

3_zpsyxzgjjwa.jpg

Next I set about ironing the brim at a bit of an angle to smooth it out and turn it up all around and installing a sweatband. Decided to go with a synthetic Dobbs sweatband left over from another hat. It was oversized, so I cut it down for a custom fit.

4_zpsmyfckxau.jpg

Next I turned to the ribbon. I bought some 2” black ribbon that passed my initial colorfast test. Unfortunately, after making a bow and really soaking it, some color ran, so into the garbage it went. Instead I used up the last of the wide brown ribbon I picked up a while back. Someday I hope to find some good black ribbon.

5_zpsdaqwtvnx.jpg

Here it is ready for Charlie Chan. The brim is now about 2 1/8.” The open crown height was about 5 5/8.”

6_zps5t1we3hf.jpg

Shaped I’m pretty pleased with it, although it will still require some fine-tuning over time. I still need to adjust the ribbon a bit all around as well.

7_zpsv3p4vdfn.jpg

8_zps2crjvk9d.jpg

Here it is next to my low-crown Worth and Worth that I reblocked a few years ago. Looking forward to making use of it this summer.

910_zpskxgjqal8.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I am now the proud owner of 3 of Dogman's liners....the problem is that now I have to find a hat worthy of such great liners. I don't want to waste them on hats not worthy!

We have been looking at those liners and they are great! Had an idea, why not use the same material to make a lightweight Newsboy Cap? Got to admit, you would be the center of conversation wearing something that snazzy!

Mm25

One Too Many
Decided I needed a new panama hat for summer, so I set about building one using a Stetson center dent I picked up that looked like it would be straight enough and have enough brim to re-work.

1_zpsj9aubrrt.jpg

First I stripped it of its ribbon and cloth sweatband, before soaking it through and through and working it over my plastic hat shaper. Once certain it was evenly set, I used some cotton rope to help it hold its new shape and proceeded to the ironing stage. When I ordered the Stetson, I gambled that there was enough hat to work it completely over the hat shaper and actually iron in a new brim break at its base. It worked.

2_zpsdhfcv1r3.jpg

3_zpsyxzgjjwa.jpg

Next I set about ironing the brim at a bit of an angle to smooth it out and turn it up all around and installing a sweatband. Decided to go with a synthetic Dobbs sweatband left over from another hat. It was oversized, so I cut it down for a custom fit.

4_zpsmyfckxau.jpg

Next I turned to the ribbon. I bought some 2” black ribbon that passed my initial colorfast test. Unfortunately, after making a bow and really soaking it, some color ran, so into the garbage it went. Instead I used up the last of the wide brown ribbon I picked up a while back. Someday I hope to find some good black ribbon.

5_zpsdaqwtvnx.jpg

Here it is ready for Charlie Chan. The brim is now about 2 1/8.” The open crown height was about 5 5/8.”

6_zps5t1we3hf.jpg

Shaped I’m pretty pleased with it, although it will still require some fine-tuning over time. I still need to adjust the ribbon a bit all around as well.

7_zpsv3p4vdfn.jpg

8_zps2crjvk9d.jpg

Here it is next to my low-crown Worth and Worth that I reblocked a few years ago. Looking forward to making use of it this summer.

910_zpskxgjqal8.jpg
That's incredible! The skills some people have here in the lounge are amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points